The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2002, 02:00 AM   #1
fedabiblio

Wood beds

I was looking to make new bed wood for my my longbox fleetside and was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could get specifications to do this. My old bed wood has been torn out and burned awhile back, so using those as patterns is out of the question. I am looking for length, width, pattern, etc to do this.
fedabiblio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:04 AM   #2
Southpa

http://www.gmcpauls.com/47-72%20BedWood%20Info.htm

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:56 AM   #3
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Before you use the woodbed installation instruction on GMCPauls site you might want to take a look at this post --

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=19242

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
Southpa

No problems w/ the specs on Paul's site. The originator of that post just didn't take into account that fact that gaps are necessary between boards. It worked out for him in the end.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

I have not used the instructions on GMCPaul's site so I can't say whether they are accurate or not. I'm simply pointing out the comments of someone that did use the instructions so others may benefit from their experience. This is what the user had to say in a followup post --

Quote:
Finally finished box wood floor today! Just finished counter sinking mounting bolts and offset washers. Was dissappointed with GMC pauls box wood info for board cutting info as it should be a little wider boards but I was able to space out enough to cover. Not his fault as I should have just measured for myself. Anyway here it is.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:48 PM   #6
john
member #16

For what its worth I bought a wood kit from brothers and the dimensions were the same as GMC PAULS. The wood had 1/2" between boards and fit good.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
GMCPaul

This post and a few others on our bedwood page were pointed out to us and I felt I had better get on here and clarify a few things. The bed wood dimensions on our web site are precise. These are the exact same dimensions used by GM, Mar-K, and all the other bedwood manufacturers. The measurements allow for a 3/8" bolt with 1/16" clearance on both sides of the bolt. If you make your wood larger than these dimensions if your wood swells even slightly it will buckle as no room for expansion.
Check your beds before installing wood to make sure that the interior dimension is not slightly larger than it should be also before starting, the reason for this is there is enough slop in the bolt holes from crossills to bedsides for the space between sides to be up to 3/8" wider than they should be if pushed to the extreme outside of holes bolting sides to crossills.
Once your bolts are installed in the wear strips you will find after loosely installing all that the bed wood dimensions are correct.
Now its time to head out to my shop and get on our 67 SWB in progress. You all have a great weekend!!!!!!
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote