The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
68GenIII

Ever Z the rear of the frame?

Ive seen posts of people Z'ing the front of the frame but never the rear? Why not?
68GenIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
smbrouss70

Re: Ever Z the rear of the frame?

I believe Rokcrln has done this on his 72 pickup.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Yes I did Z mine but most people do not because you can just add a bigger C notch to get it on the ground. The story behind mine is about 7 yrs ago I tour the truck apart and did a small (3" I think) C notch and body dropped it 2" at the same time and thought this would be low enough. Once the body was back on and the 3" drop front spindles were in place and teh bags let out the front end layed on the ground but the rear was still up in the air more then I wanted. So I then Z'd the rear 2" right behind the cab. I also did not want the big hump in the center of the bed for the rear end to come up into so I sectioned the entire inside of the bed 6" and just raised up the floor. The back 6" at the gate I left stock height and ramped the floor to match. So this way when you open the gate the floor is where it should be then it goes up at a 45* angel for 6" and then turns 45* back to flat. I used the bed floor section from when I did a small tub job to fill in the "ramp" area so my bed ribs all match up.

Here is a link to Project Slow Build~http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ect+slow+build

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-04-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
68GenIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln
Yes I did Z mine but most people do not because you can just add a bigger C notch to get it on the ground. The story behind mine is about 7 yrs ago I tour the truck apart and did a small (3" I think) C notch and body dropped it 2" at the same time and thought this would be low enough. Once the body was back on and the 3" drop front spindles were in place and teh bags let out the front end layed on the ground but the rear was still up in the air more then I wanted. So I then Z'd the rear 2" right behind the cab. I also did not want the big hump in the center of the bed for the rear end to come up into so I sectioned the entire inside of the bed 6" and just raised up the floor. The back 6" at the gate I left stock height and ramped the floor to match. So this way when you open the gate the floor is where it should be then it goes up at a 45* angel for 6" and then turns 45* back to flat. I used the bed floor section from when I did a small tub job to fill in the "ramp" area so my bed ribs all match up.

Here is a link to Project Slow Build~http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ect+slow+build

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Good, I just got bored this weekend and Z'ed mine 3". I will be running a 20x10" rim with 295 50 20's tires. I wanted to make sure I could get the rear low enough with that tall of a tire. I am running an 18" rim in front. I have 2" drop spindles so I figured with a drop coil I could get the front low enough. I will post up some pictures this week.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Rokcrln

Do you already have a C notch? If so how much of one?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
68GenIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln
Do you already have a C notch? If so how much of one?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Nope no C notch. I figured I would do this instead.