The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Bucket Seats, flooring

I just read Jeff's article on buckets (http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/inte...ry_buckets.htm ) and have a couple q's to throw around...

What's the likelyness of finding buckets from the junkyard in decent condition (unlike Jeff's) that match my interior (blue)? And If i do find them, is the console really needed? I wouldn't mind leaving it out for the walkthrough area it would make, similar to a van. Whats a ballpark cost from the junkyard, or would it be better finding them online?

and If I do the conversion, i was thinking i might as well do the carpet. I was thinking of using a roll on bedliner or something, since it'd be a ton more durable than carpet and grease/oil/coke/sand/'whatever else i might find' resistant. However, i'd have to also remove the rear bench seat as well. Has anyone else done this in a full crew cab? I know a ton of jeepers that have done it for basically the same reason.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Bucket Seats, flooring

You have a crew cab, right? If it has a flat floor, you can probably fit something from a Blazer or Suburban in with minimal fabrication.

Slonaker
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
magnethead

I don't believe it is flat, but it may be.... (as always, i refer to my zillion pictures of my truck)

nope, not flat at all...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
magnethead

in all likelyness, how easy would it be to find a truck with factory buckets? and i know it's small, bu whats the chance of the ones i find being blue (although i'd probably throw covers on anyways)
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Not flat, but the crew cab floors for the front seat are the same as a suburban. That makes bucket seats much easier to find than for a regular pickup cab. The odds of finding a good set? Well, the last sub in this body style was made 15 years ago, so you won't likely find any in like new condition. You can find them that can be recovered and be nice again.

The console is certainly optional. Since your floor won't have holes you need to cover up, you could certainly choose not to have one.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
magnethead

hmm..we used to have a suburban that had buckets...hmm thanks. Any idea what a junkyard would want? 50? 100? It's not like theres anything power in them unlike todays seats. Theres about 15 suburbans that I know of in junkyards around here. I might ask around if i ever happen to be down there. I don't really have a use for the middle front bench seat. (and buckets would probably look better?)
Old 06-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
truckinbean

Please take the time to read the rules before posting here-

XI. All For Sale posts shall have a price or prices, as well as your
location.
No bids or auctions allowed here!!! If you don't know the
price of what you are selling, then you should do some research. If a Moderator or Administrator here asks you to post price(s) and you have not within a 12 hour time frame, they will delete your thread, period.

XIV. As of October 15th 2005 subscribing members will be the only ones permitted to post for sale and want to buy ads on any classified section of this site. All other rules of buying and selling still apply. 67-72chevytrucks.com, its administrators or staff are not responsible for any transactions on or off the forums. We will work hard to ensure you a smooth transaction, and help in the event you may need it, but all for sale and trade areas are buyer beware. Any persons who have misrepresented an item, lie about an item, fail to deliver, or are in violation of any of the rules will forfeit there subscription fees and be banned from 67-72chevytrucks.com

The Forum staff would like to encourage you to become a subscribing member. Your support will be greatly appreciated. Subscribe Here!
Performer 1400 carb
Sanderson Headers/Dual 2 1/2" Flowmasters

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-14-2006 at 08:54 AM.
truckinbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
magnethead

california would be a long way to send the seats..alot of shipping charges and the UPS guy would kill us, if they even met the weight limit. I'd probably be better off on ebay, the classified, or the junkyard. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

magnethead your best bet is to find some locally. Since the 73-87 nuckets aren't "that" rare you might have a chance at finding what you want that doesn't need a recover. If you find some clean ones in the wrong color you might consider vinyl dye. If prepped properly it can be the answer.

I had a set of blue buckets offered to me about a year ago that were in excellent condition. I didn't take them because they were blue. Now I wish I had....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
magnethead

hadn't thought of dyeing ones that were wrong color.

what about the floor? How much would new carpet cost?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead
california would be a long way to send the seats..alot of shipping charges and the UPS guy would kill us, if they even met the weight limit. I'd probably be better off on ebay, the classified, or the junkyard. Thanks for the offer though.
I had a member here send a set of Blazer buckets, Blazer rear seat and Blazer rear/side panels to me in Seattle from Tenesee(sp?). I was only like $120 freight on a truck. They were packaged on a pallet. It is probably more now, but I wouldn't think more than $150, and maybe less if it only the buckets. It is more an issue of space, than of weight when dealing with freight shippers.
There is a guy locally that parts a lot of the 89-91 Suburbans and all the buckets I've seen were at least useable, and maybe even "nice". If you limit your search to later years Sub's you can more than likely find a decent pair I am sure.
Check your local Craigslist and/or paper/little nickel.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote