The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
boot85
71 Chevy

Patch Panel

I am going to be ordering a bunch of patch panels and would like opinions. Who has the best quality patch panels LMC, GMC Pauls or MotherTruckers?

Thanks for the help.
boot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
dboyzalter
Account Suspended

Re: Patch Panel

I just got all mine from LMC I think they are all pretty much the same product...

another good parts store is jim carters...
http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/jcindex.htm
dboyzalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
chevytrucks79

I bought a bunch from LMC and did not like them very much at all. The door pillars didnt fit at all, very different dimensions than the parts that came off. I do agree that most all of these reproduction parts are probally made in Taiwan nowdays.
chevytrucks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
SoCal71K20

If you don't make your own or get real lucky and find older ones made in USA, then it looks like you're stuck with the cheap flimsy chineese crap that all vendors are pushing. Some will say on their websites that they sell the good ones but that is just B.S. it's all crap compared to GM metal. There was a couple of earlier threads about this subject. What I got out of it was there is some manufacturers/distributors organization that some vendors belong to and they were going to talk to some overseas company president about quality issues.Right. Ain't going to do no good.There all making money selling crappy parts. Seems like some of these vendors have no clue as to where their parts are from or they are flat out lying. many times a sales person will mumble that yeah their company makes the stuff here in US, that just ain't so. Google and call any of 'em if you don't believe it. Goodmark, Triplus,etc they are all the same.
SoCal71K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

GMC Paul's, Mother Truckers, Tim Christian, Wes or any of the other board vendors are way better than LMC.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
raggedjim

In my limited experience you can not get patch panels and expect them to fit perfectly without tweaking them some. If this is what you expect you will be disappointed.

I'm a big fan of patch panels, but even the best ones will need tweaking...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

lmc has really crappy customer service. I would support the vendors on this board. They all seem really willing to help or assist as needed.
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Howdy-
I havent ordered patch panels yet, but I have ordered a lot of other stuff from LMC, and never had any service problems. The panels I need first tho are for my Jimmy not the pickup, but I felt compelled to respond to this anyway.

I found the sheetmetal I need from Tabco and Mill Supply-stuff LMC doesnt have,(and everyone else I've checked) but havent ordered yet cause I was just reading to see if anybody has experiences with those companies. LMC and others doesnt carry Jimmy and shortbox rear-half box sides or lower rear rust panels. Has anyone ever dealt with those 2 suppliers?

Later---DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

Last edited by 70gmcjimmy; 06-16-2006 at 08:29 PM.
70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
wibilly

i bought a truck with some replacement panels from Gorden. the stepside tailgate was the thinest i have ever seen. the fenders seemed about the same as the goodmarks i have
Old 06-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal71K20
If you don't make your own or get real lucky and find older ones made in USA, then it looks like you're stuck with the cheap flimsy chineese crap that all vendors are pushing. Some will say on their websites that they sell the good ones but that is just B.S. it's all crap compared to GM metal. There was a couple of earlier threads about this subject. What I got out of it was there is some manufacturers/distributors organization that some vendors belong to and they were going to talk to some overseas company president about quality issues.Right. Ain't going to do no good.There all making money selling crappy parts. Seems like some of these vendors have no clue as to where their parts are from or they are flat out lying. many times a sales person will mumble that yeah their company makes the stuff here in US, that just ain't so. Google and call any of 'em if you don't believe it. Goodmark, Triplus,etc they are all the same.
What do you suggest? You seem to know everything.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
TravisH

70gmcjimmy I haven't dealt directly with tabco but all their pieces I've used have been great as far as patch panels go. Theres still some tweaking to get everything to fit. Under no circumstances use anything Cross Canada.

Was also out tonight fitting some triplus cab corners, they're thicker than original but my passenger bodyline was stamped crooked from the lip that wraps around the B pillar
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Thanks for the reply, TravisH.
Tabco is the one that has lower rear bedside Blazer patches, and Mill Supply has the complete rear half Blazer-shortbox bedside panels. If anyone is interested Mill Supply's website is www.rustrepair.com I dont have Tabco handy but I found it with a name search. I do wish the vendors here had those pieces but never found any with them. GMC Paul will be gettin some biz from me tho as his deal on front GMC bumpers is darn good, and I do believe in loyalty to site vendors. I havent been here long but its a great site!

Later---DAC

GMC driver for 30 years!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Try any of the board vendors and if you want ask them where the part is made the vendors on this site are NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU!!!!!! B.T.W I got mine from wes at classic heartbeat...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
SoCal71K20

mbgmike- A little jumpy there. After sharing some research, I really don't think that qualifies me as a know it all. After looking at your website it looks like you have sold your share of crappy overseas parts. Funny how you don't say the orgin of your stuff on there. Anyway, that's my point. Here you are , a vendor and everythings fine and dandy until someone questions the quality of your goods and now you are asking for an answer. Personally, for me it was given in the first part of my last post. Don't tell me you are the one that posted a pic of a couple of pallet loads of overseas parts and had no clue as to who made them. C'mon do your homework. You can find plenty of GM studies that show the inferior quality of CAPRA perlacement parts versus GM sheetmetal. I realize that stuff for older cars and trucks is no longer available from GM, just wish it was.
SoCal71K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Let's keep it peaceable guys!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Actually seems to me like Mike was just responding to the tone of your post which is pretty combative. If I were a vendor I'd be a lot less civil in my reply (probably why I've never been much of a salesman). You can give your opinion w/o the crappy attitude.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 06-19-2006 at 08:04 PM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I've only used one patch panel, the upper cab piece that the visors and mirror sit on. The fit was great. Very little forming was required. Bought it locally from Bowtie Bits.

The newer panels being made in Taiwan are far better than the older ones. I agree, deal with GMCPauls, Wes, Tim and you won't go wrong. They not only support the board, but they are honest. And that goes a long way in my book. Most of the others mentioned have either lost my trust or never did anything to gain it. Lots of people on the Stovebolt board are very upset with LMC, Chevy Duty and Carter, and for good reason. They are supported by American Classic.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #18
GMCPaul

70gmcjimmy the tooling for the Blazer lower bedside halves is not 100& correct last we checked them they are missing the 1/8" rolled bead in wheel arch area on both front & rear patch panel and the rear one does not have the correct recessed area under the taillight area on it. Thus the reason we do not carry them.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #19
GMCPaul

PS- Both Mill Supply & Tabco sell parts that are manufactured in Taiwan also, they do have a small line of american made restoration parts they make themselves for 67-72 trucks, bad news is on the american made floors, rockers, cab corners, etc is the tooling is extremely old that they are stamping them with so they have radiused bends instead of sharp crisp bends & body lines, and thus become a real fit to install and blend with your trucks body lines and bends on panels.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Hey guys-
Boot85- hope ya dont think I'm tryin to hijack yer thread, but maybe the info here will be valuable to us all!

GMCPaul- thanks a bunch for the info about the parts I wanted to order. I could probly dance around the taillight indentation situation, but that 1/8" bead missing in the wheel arch is a major concern! Here is a pic to show ya what is going on, and I haveta think its a pretty common problem.
How are you dealing with needing to patch these areas on Jimmys, Blazers, shortbeds? Can a person use a piece from a longbox rust panel? The angles must be different because of length, but if the patch is short enuff would it work? Is the only choice to find a used piece, or the $$$ of NOS? There really isnt enuff meat on the foreward edge to weld a homemade piece in there, and save that bit of the wheelarch. I'm not building a showtruck here-gonna drive the heck out of it, but i dont want it crude either.
Once again GMCPaul, I appreciate the info and look foreward to your advice!

Later---DAC
Attached Images

GMC driver for 30 years!

Old 06-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #21
mbgmike

We Also Sell Oem Ford Lincoln Mercury Parts Aston Martin Parts ,
Anything Fmc Sells We Can Sell
Motorcraft Parts , Ford Performance Parts , White Mustang Bodies
Old 06-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #22
mbgmike

Quote:
mbgmike- A little jumpy there. After sharing some research, I really don't think that qualifies me as a know it all. After looking at your website it looks like you have sold your share of crappy overseas parts. Funny how you don't say the orgin of your stuff on there. Anyway, that's my point. Here you are , a vendor and everythings fine and dandy until someone questions the quality of your goods and now you are asking for an answer. Personally, for me it was given in the first part of my last post. Don't tell me you are the one that posted a pic of a couple of pallet loads of overseas parts and had no clue as to who made them. C'mon do your homework. You can find plenty of GM studies that show the inferior quality of CAPRA perlacement parts versus GM sheetmetal. I realize that stuff for older cars and trucks is no longer available from GM, just wish it was.
WE SELL TRIPLUS PARTS MADE IN TAIWAN. WE HAVE NEVER TRIED TO HIDE THE FACT. WE DO NOT REBOX THE PARTS WITH OUR COMPANY NAME ON IT. THEY SAY RIGHT ON THEM TRIPLUS WE ARE FULLY AWARE OF BODY PART STUDIES. WE ARE IN THE PARTS BUSINESS.
WE PUT THESE REPRODUCTION PARTS ON TO BESIDES JUST SELL THEM. WE HAVE SOLD TABCO PARTS AND STILL HAVE SOME IN STOCK.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #23
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gmcjimmy
Hey guys-
Boot85- hope ya dont think I'm tryin to hijack yer thread, but maybe the info here will be valuable to us all!

GMCPaul- thanks a bunch for the info about the parts I wanted to order. I could probly dance around the taillight indentation situation, but that 1/8" bead missing in the wheel arch is a major concern! Here is a pic to show ya what is going on, and I haveta think its a pretty common problem.
How are you dealing with needing to patch these areas on Jimmys, Blazers, shortbeds? Can a person use a piece from a longbox rust panel? The angles must be different because of length, but if the patch is short enuff would it work? Is the only choice to find a used piece, or the $$$ of NOS? There really isnt enuff meat on the foreward edge to weld a homemade piece in there, and save that bit of the wheelarch. I'm not building a showtruck here-gonna drive the heck out of it, but i dont want it crude either.
Once again GMCPaul, I appreciate the info and look foreward to your advice!

Later---DAC
not trying to hijack anyone thread either
We can cut a patch panel out of an old bedside if you give us the dimensions you need. just pay the shipping
Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #24
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
My truck has the crappy taiwan junk on it. Guess which pieces are not original?

I'll give you a hint. Both front fenders, inner fenders, and doors.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. All the research in the world means nothing to me if you have NO experience with the parts yourself. Did you know GM's tolerance on parts from 67-72 was + or - .2" thats a pretty crappy fit if you ask me. Ever heard of project Copperhead built by Stacy David on TRUCKS!? The truck was 100% repop except for the cab and frame.

You have to "make" some of these parts fit. These trucks are almost 40 years old, nothing is going to fit perfect the first time out of the box.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #25
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike
not trying to hijack anyone thread either
We can cut a patch panel out of an old bedside if you give us the dimensions you need. just pay the shipping
Hey MBGMike-
I will definitely get some dimensions, man! Thank you for the response. Probly wont have time till the weekend and I will contact you thru yer site.

Lookin foreward to dealing with ya----DAC

GMC driver for 30 years!