The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
IAmAllanShore

Arrow 1967 or 1968 Fleetside C10, I think, heavy rust, Need to have restored... Suggestions

Greetings!
I've recently come into possession of what I believe to be a 1967 C10 Fleetside ("Self Diagnosis", please let me know if the attached picture says otherwise http://www.link-through.com/truck.jpg , a user elsewhere pointed out the side lights as an indication it is a 1968, although the title says 67, I know how reliable titles are ), and am very interested in keeping it and restoring it as much as possible. It is, for lack of a better description, a family heirloom that I have come to associate with some family members that I hold dear.

However, I know nothing about cars/trucks/putting things together. Part of this project I intend to be a family project, but I need the first steps to be done "right" and done well. Basically, I want to restore it to how it looked on the day that it was bought, almost 40 years ago now.

The truck runs, although it was not able to pass inspection in Virginia this year due to its steering column being too loose and non-repairable,
and the floor of the cab being un-sturdy for lack of a better term.
The truck has undergone a large amount of rust damage, as well as typical wear and tear.

I believe that what I am looking for now is someone / some company to take the truck as-is, remove all the rust and body parts that are beyond repair (Namely anything that would make it unsafe to drive/operate - I know the steering column and wiring harness need to be fixed/replaced), replace anything beyond repair with matching stock parts, and then paint the whole thing to keep it from rusting more (And to increase the asthetic appeal so my wife doesn't kick me to the curb), inside and out, with a semi-original paint job (Original to the truck, that is. A semi-metallic green with some trim; nothing fancy).
I know that is a large part of the process, but I need that to be done by someone who knows what they are doing first so as to ensure the safety of kids/family, and then that gives me something I can work on to bring the rest of the way back (I know some electrics, and would like to do such small things as restoring/fixing the radio, replacing the glass, etc.).
So now I need to know 2 things, and you all were recommended as a place to come for advice.

1) Do I have the right idea for getting the ball rolling? In other words, is what I described that I'm looking for actually match what I should be doing?
2) I live in Winston-Salem, NC, and can take the truck anywhere w/n about an hour from me. Are there any good places that you are aware of that I should look into or contact? And coupled with that, what would a fair price be for just the removal of rust and painting aspects, knowing that the replacement of any parts would be the wildcard.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (If you live in the area or know a company or individual who does this work, please PM me as well). I have a couple of these trucks that I will be working on, so this, to a certain extent, is a "learning" truck for me. But at the same time, it is the one I value the most and want things to be done right and done well.

Thanks,
-Allan
IAmAllanShore <a-t> link-through.com
IAmAllanShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Re: 1967 or 1968 Fleetside C10, I think, heavy rust, Need to have restored... Suggestions

First off... Welcome to the board, you picked a great place to come for answers.

Looks like it has a large back window and side marker lamps with chevrolet lettering on hood. This is a '68.

As far as finding someone to "help out" with the work, I wont be of much help to you (too doggone far from you).

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
IAmAllanShore

Re: 1967 or 1968 Fleetside C10, I think, heavy rust, Need to have restored... Suggestions

Thanks for the "welcome", Jerry

Glad to hear a "second" of the '68, I'd hate to go around calling a fish a duck or whatever the euphamism is.

And Northern California is miles away from where I am, you're right, both literally and figuratively.

-Allan
Old 06-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Welcome to the board from West Tennessee. From the picture it looks like a 68. You might contact Liz (she is an administrator on these boards) who lives in N.C. and has been involved with classic cars and trucks in your area for advise on who to have do the work you need done. Be prepared to spend more money to restore this truck than you would to buy a new full size pickup. I'm not trying to bust your bubble just a little heads up. Good luck with your project.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
mikeoj

I'll 3rd the 68 call!!
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
ebfabman

Allan, welcome. I will second that you will probably spend close to what a new or late model truck would cost. Do you have a budget for your project? You can save some of the labor cost by disassembling and reassembling the truck yourself if you are so inclined.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Howdy from Greensboro.You first need to figure out what all needs repair and get some quotes on bodywork.Make sure you get a written contract on bodywork.There are horror stories about it.The members here will give more advice on what to adress in a contract as yoou get closer.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
IAmAllanShore

I actually hadn't considered cost; I'm in an ok place financially so anything that isn't highway robbery should be ok ( I guess in my gut I was expecting it to be around $10,000 or so, so it won't be horrible to have it come out around there. ) .

As I read, it seems like I might be better served by having the entire truck sandblasted to get the rust off, and then painted a base coat of something rust resistant. From there, do the repair work myself on the panels that have to be replaced, etc. For the blasting/rust removal/primer I'm thinking around $500 or so? I'm probably way off, I've been reading this board and "stovebolt"
and I'm only inches deep in a pond that seems to be miles to the bottom!
From your experiences, is that an ok course of action to ensure that no more damage is done than has already been done (Or that I'll do by messing something up in process ).

And Ron, I've lived in Knox-vegas, and the Branson/Arkansas/Memphis loop for a while as well. Beautiful country out there.

PanelDeland in Greensboro! Glad to find a local on board. Anyone in the phonebook that I should completely avoid calling for quotes?

Like a sponge,
-Allan
Old 06-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Try to get it blasted with soda or some other abrasive other than sand it gets everywhere and is very hard to get ride of... Welcome to the board from southern oregon..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Don't sandblast.It can build heat and cause warping which will cost much more to repair.One of the medias as suggested is better.I am new to Greensboro so I don't know any body shops good or bad.I try to find local shows and will try to keep you informed of when where they are.That is the best way to meet people with vehicles that have been done.They will know who is good and can help you find the right bodyman for you.Also you get to check out the type of work the body people do before you contact them.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

Here's a link to a good article on finding a body shop http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=124745

Here's a link to a discussion on restorations http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=139825

Here's a link to where you can find links to lots of great info (especially for a new guy) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669

BTW Welcome to the board from South Mississippi!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 06-18-2006 at 09:14 AM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

One of the BEST in the business with these trucks is in your state and responded to your post...EBFABMAN! You would be very fortunate to have him work on your truck if he has the time.

If you want to do some of the work yourself take two night classes at your local community college on basic auto mechanics and basic auto body and paint. Don't do anything to the truck for at least a year until you have to done your homework. UNLESS...ebfabman lays out a plan for you!

OH YEAH...Welcome to the board from sunny Seattle! Nothing can be more rewarding and satisfying than restoring a family vehicle.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 06-18-2006 at 12:16 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote