The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
rich-white

Help!! Help!! Need Advise Asap!!!!!!

I have a 77 3/4 4x4 that have a built .30 over 350 that has about 5xxx miles on it. HERES THE MAJOR PROBLEM... I put a new starter on it about a month ago works great, BUT now the back of the block broke out where the starter bolts to the block I have been tolt to either A. go to a stick shift..possible but a pain in the a$$ to find all the parts..B. Supposedly somebody makes a plate that you can bolt the starter to that will bolt to the th350 (forgot to metion its an atuomatic) bell housing... C shuck the motor and start over...FFCOTH (Fat F--king Chance Of That Happening) Anybody got suggestions.. or 4-speed with flywheel, pedals tranny or a 3/4ton or 1ton 4x4 manual with air conditiong needing a good strong motor laying around for sale?
rich-white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Re: Help!! Help!! Need Advise Asap!!!!!!

Doesn't the starter have the ability to bolt to either side of the block? Or is that a different engine i'm thinking of?
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
rich-white

I will have to look... Any know off the top of the head?
rich-white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Some starters use two bolts side by side, while others use two that are diagonally across from each other (AFAIK). Can you switch from one kind to the other? Would that help?

Slonaker
Old 06-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

So let me get this straight, so that I and others don't kill ourselves trying to make sense of it. You have a GM Small Block motor (350) that has the area that the starter bolts to, broken off from the block. If that is the case then you are probably going to hate the answer that is going to come from this. FIRST of all; the starter flange area DOES have a dual design for the bolts (In-Line and Staggered). The designs depend on what size of flexplate you have-- The larger of the two is what the offset (staggered) bolt holes work with and the two holes in line with each other uses the smaller flexplate. SECOND ---The bolt hole combinations both use the outer hole as part of their layout, so if the outer hole is gone (You be tough outta luck). As for mounting a starter on the opposite side---NEVER HAVE I SEEN THIS ONE--The GM motors that I have dealt with has the oil filter on the opposite side and there is no place for a starter. THIRD---What is a manual tranny going to do for you, except allow you to push the truck and POP the clutch to get the motor to turn over---CLASSY WAY to start a vehicle---but it works.

The thought that you could get another block--sounds like you may not have that going for you. (The FFCOTH comment) May be your only choice. So you may have to (BTBAGWTP) Bite the Bullet and Get with The Program and go get another motor. The problem is that when you had the motor rebuilt, there must have been damage on that corner of the block and no one noted it as they did the assembly. It really is a bad thing.

Last edited by piecesparts; 06-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts
NEVER HAVE I SEEN THIS ONE--The GM motors that I have dealt with has the oil filter on the opposite side and there is no place for a starter.
hmm, coulda swore i'd seen driver side starters before...
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I have been turning wrenches for a good many years and the starter on the driver's side is elusive to me.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

You might call a machine shop and see how they have fixed this problem in the past. Someone has had to have ran into the problem before as well. Only other thing I know of it get a welder that can weld up something to make work on the block for a replacement.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
68_GMC

My truck has a 3 speed stick and the starter bolts to the bell housing... The truck I got my motor out of had a starter on it that bolted to the block but it was a automatic 4x4... As for fixing it... It would take a really good welder to make it stay together...
Old 06-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
scotto0609

If your father is like my father he could find a way to duct tape it!!! good luck.
scotto0609 is offline   Reply With Quote