The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

the brakes are wearing me out

I cant seem to get my brakes working properly. I have no panic brakes. the truck has disc on the front, pads have lots of pad, rotors are smooth no grooves .the rear brakes are drum the drums are smooth no grooves, the pads have lots of pad. I have had this issue for too long. while trying to find the problem, I have replaced the M/C and still no change, brakes are soft and no panic brakes. the trucik has a power booster. the line for the PB has vacuum build up because I can remove the line to the PB and I can hear the air release from the booster. I canot see any moister on the rubber sections of the brake lines. and I'm sure the steel lines are not seeping, leaking either. I have bleed the brakes so many times starting from the farthest rear line working my way to the closest to the M/C still I dont have panic brakes. could it be that the rear drums are larger then I think they are and Im running out of brake travel?. I WANT GOOD BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Re: the brakes are wearing me out

check the free play of the pedal it's self should only be about 1/8 to 1/4 at the most..adjust this under the dash you will see the rod connected to the pedal..

next the rod that's in between the booster and the master cyl...
make sure it's not to long or to short...

just because you did not do anything to these, don't mean someone else did not.

hope this help's mark
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
jhow66

Also check your rubber hoses. Have sometime apply pressure on pedal to see if hoses are swelling.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
TugOwar

I hate to state the obvious but did you adjust the rear shoes out to where they almost touch the drum with no brake applied?

I like to adjust the shoes before putting the drum on. Adjust the shoes out so that it takes a bit of effort to get the drum on over them.

If the auto slack adjuster mechanism is working correctly - get the truck rolling backwards and stab the brake pedal repeatedly while rolling. This activates the auto slack adjuster mechanism.

However, on a 30-something year old vehicle things get dirty and worn and the slack adjuster rarely works as described above. Which means you have to adjust by hand periodically. They make a slack adjuster tool especially for this but a good size flat head screw driver will work in the absence of this tool. Slide the tool in through the slot at the bottom of the backing plate and roll the slack adjuster out until you can't turn the drum by hand, then back off until it turns freely = brakes adjusted.

As I stated above, I hate to tell you something you already know but I thought it worth going over just in case.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote