The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
setandreel

inter. wipers

Hey all,
need a little help. I have a 87 V10 silverado, no tilt,no cruse, but inter. wipers.Well sometimes thay work right but somtimes you turn them on and hi and low work but inter or mist does'nt work and you have to go to mist to turn them off. I have tried jiggling the lever but that does'nt help.
I am thinking switch, where is it hidding? I'm hoping not in the colum. Maybe someone has a pic.
Thanks in advance
Mike
setandreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Re: inter. wipers

mine had a mind of it's own too...i replaced the million mile wiper motor..
problem solved
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
setandreel

thanks rage,man do I feel dumb, just filled up my washer bottle happened to look up the top plug has worked loose, pluged it in tight, problem fixed
Old 07-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My 84 had a problem with the wipers turning themselves on at the most inopportune times, BY THEMSELVES. I started at the easiest and cheapest parts first, Intermittent module, then the looked at the motor and switch after that. Turned out to be the switch (BY THE WAY, it is on the column). I had hooked up a motor without installing it and the new motor turned itself on without help, so the problem was elsewhere. I did not have to do the motor.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
setandreel

piecesparts, intermittent module? is that the same as the switch? on the column and not in? where at the bottom? thanks man
Old 07-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The intermittent module is mounted on the bottom side of the column by using a plastic clip, just behind the dash. The plate that is screwed onto the lower dash, just under the column, covers it. This module is different for the different years of truck, so it is a verifiy which vehicle that you have thing. It is about 3 1/2" long and has aluminum fins on it for a "Heatsink". There are wires plugged into both ends of it, so it can be removed easily.

The wiper control switch for the 84 and above trucks is integral with the dimmer switch/turnsignal lever assembly. It takes a little work to change this switch out, I took an old steering column apart first, so that I would know what was involved, before tearing into the one in the truck. It can be done with the column still in the cab, but it takes some unplugging of wires and moving of the internals of the column to accomplish. The whole switch assembly is held in with a pin that allows it to be used as a dimmer switch, so it has to be pulled out far enough to push that pin out of the part. I bought my replacement switch from Chevy Duty (old company name) and it was a GM factory part.

Last edited by piecesparts; 07-08-2006 at 11:52 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
cckutchma

Speaking of intermittant wipers Has anybody either switched from the crappy two speed system or has known someone who has done it. If there is another thread on it let me know please.
cckutchma is offline   Reply With Quote