The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
gator2511

I need your opinions on my gas tank relocation!

I have my bucket seats ready to install in my 72K10 and when I'm in there I would like to move my gas tank to make more room behind the seats. The truck is used for daily driving (I'm retired) and hunting. Its a Fleetside shortbed so its not a work truck. I've seen some really nice work in putting tanks in between the frame rails in the back but I really don't want it to go there. I just don't care for having the tank that far back and so close to the rear bumper. I'm thinking about having a tank made to go up against the front of the inside bedwall. It would replace the box I already have in there. I could have a storage box built onto the top of the tank and use that space. The truck has a hard bed lid on it so it won't be an eyesore. I like the idea of the tank being in the center of the truck. Should I get a fuel cell or a regular tank built? What do you think of the location idea?
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
larry may

Re: I need your opinions on my gas tank relocation!

I fabbricated a tank to fit in the rear between the frame. Worked out great. have plenty of room in the bed. Each to personal prefference. Has been alot of threads posted in regards to fuel tank questions and problems. In back under the bed usually wins out..........my.02%.Larry
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Mudder

I saw a box built that fit right behind the cab in the bed that contained the gas tank, and room for tools, etc. The tank was built into the bottom of the box. It was done with aluminum and looked really good.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Psycho71

Yeah, the pre-made box w/fuel tank would be a good solution to your dilema. I am going w/the rear location myself. I have looked at the combos. They look good and will probably work great. Should also be able to get a higher fuel capacity by far. Maybe around 40-50 gallons or more. Slosh would be a factor. Whatever the construction method, I would be sure it has baffles in it.

Jay
Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
wibilly

i went to the rear to help balance the truck. i wanted the weight back there for improved ride ,traction and braking. but then again i'm dealing with 3/4 ton suspension in a short bed truck
Old 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
raidermanny

I put this 57 gal in the bed to help with traction. I am getting a cover soon so you will never see it.
raidermanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidermanny
I put this 57 gal in the bed to help with traction. I am getting a cover soon so you will never see it.
WOW! Thats a big tank. Looks great but I couldnt afford to fill it up! I'm gonna shoot for around 30 gallons.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidermanny
Where do you get such a beast? and more importantly, how much? The ones I've looked at have been like $900+ and man that's just too much
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #9
raidermanny

It originally sold for $1000 but the guy who had it crashed his truck and sold me the tank for around $250, I think. I bought it about a year and 1/2 ago. I've only had to fill it once so far and it cost me $150.
raidermanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #10
Gary

Ah now see $250-300 is a price I could definitely live with but near $1000? man that's just wow too much.

I just put a check in the mail to another board member for his 30 gallon FCG made 30 gallon tank so I'm set for tank, now to drain and remove the in-cab tank...
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote