The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
aggiedave98

very bouncy ride w/ 2" lifted springs...

I've got an '89 suburban 1/2ton 2wd that I put in a fabtech 3" lift and 2" rear lifted leaf springs (not blocks). It also came w/ fabtech shocks to fit with the lift.

I have a really bouncy ride in the rear because of the bigger arch in the springs (I guess). I really want to try to improve the ride.

I posted a message a while back suggesting heavier duty shocks. Will that help a lot?? This is probably a dumb question, but the shocks work in both compression and extension of the shocks, right??

Any suggestions on what shocks to get for the rear and will those fit with a 2" lift?

Thanks!
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: very bouncy ride w/ 2" lifted springs...

Have you spoken to Fabtech yet? I would assume that this could not be a problem unique to you! My first thoughts would be the shocks, but see what they tell you first. They should also be able to tell you shock lengths and so forth for your specific application.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
aggiedave98

nope... actually never thought about that... i'll give them a call. thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
aggiedave98

well, fabtech wasn't much help... they said the leaf springs weren't from them (which is true) and without being there he can't tell me if it's the shocks or leaf springs.

I called my local 4x4 shop (which i bought them from) and they suggested moving to the Rancho 9000 9-way adjustable shocks. He said it would help a lot.

But, they're $92/each and I don't want to put them in if it's a possibility that it's really the springs.

The Fabtech guy said to take the shocks off and drive down the street. If I still get a bumpy ride, then it's the springs. But, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me... Does that make sense??

How do I tell if the shocks will help??? (without buying them and getting stuck w/ them....)
Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
PBFAB.COM

If you take the shocks off the rear it WILL be a bouncy ride. Would've thought the Fabtech guys would be a little smarter/more helpful. Yeah, $200 is a bit of a gamble, but I am pretty confident that it is a shock (dampening) issue. Do a little more research, possibly go to some other 4WD forums and ask there, it will probably lead you to the shocks, but for $200 it will be worth spending a few minutes racking some more brains. Good Luck!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I agree, it sounds like your shocks. They are what controls the oscillation. If you jump up and down on the bumper does it keep bouncing, if so, it is the shocks.

I also saw your post about the airbags, They should actually make the ride stiffer especially if they are inflated. Did the shocks come from Fabtech or the 4x4 store? Were they made for the truck with taller springs?

Rancho 9000's should DEFINITELY help the ride especially if you get the right size.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

I Woudlnt Know What A Bouncy Ride Is Like .

Must Be nice Im Rolling On 85 Shocks With 9 Leafs + Overload Not Much Of Any Movement .

Last edited by 1972C10; 07-10-2006 at 06:50 PM.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

You said you have 2" rear lift springs, but they're not Fabtech. Whose springs are they? Maybe you have the wrong springs for your truck? How many springs are in the pack? They may be too stiff and that could lead to you thinking the ride is "bouncy".
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
aggiedave98

The shocks came as part of the lift kit package. They are fabtech shocks. I did buy them from the 4x4 store here.

67Fleet, the springs were supposed to be Skyjacker according to the shop when they ordered them, but doing a quick google search and finding this pic:

http://www.jackit.com/springs/images...ker_leaves.JPG

mine don't have the Skyjacker label on them, so I'm not sure if they just ordered some generic brand...

I will have to check on the number of leafs later today.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
aggiedave98

The springs have 5 leafs plus one short thick one at the bottom... I'm not sure if that's considered a leaf or not...

It doesn't seem to bounce too much if I jump on it, but driving it around and paying attention to what happens over bumps, I think shocks may help, even if the springs are a little too stiff.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiedave98
The springs have 5 leafs plus one short thick one at the bottom... I'm not sure if that's considered a leaf or not...

It doesn't seem to bounce too much if I jump on it, but driving it around and paying attention to what happens over bumps, I think shocks may help, even if the springs are a little too stiff.
That short thick one at the bottom is probably the overload leaf. Could be the springs are too stiff, but new shocks will most likely help you. The ones you have may have too much rebound.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Prerunner1982

I have never had the 9000 ranchos, I have had the 5000 series, but they were for an s-10 blazer, they still seemed to ride nice on my big ole truck. If i had the money to throw down I would probably get me another set. Your ride could be due to the arch of the leaves, though I cant imagine that only a 2" lift would make it ride that hard. ever think about going with a shackle flip for a lift? you could keep your stock springs and get 2.5" of lift.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

aggiedave98 lets get a little more detailed with your description before we try to diagnois the problem. You say you have a "very bouncy ride". Does that mean that the rear bounces a lot, or continues to bounce after you hit a bump? Or does it mean that the suspension is so stiff that when you hit a bump the springs have no give?

Please try to break it down a little more because your problem could be too stiff of a spring, or too soft of a shock.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote