The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

I actually had a weekend off for a change and I was in town. I spent most of Saturday getting things done on my wife's 03 Denali XL. I took it to Jiffy Lube and had the oil changed, and state inspection done. Then I took it and had the tires balanced and rotated.

Since I was near a GMC dealership I stopped in to see if they had any 07 Denali XL's in stock. They just got one in so I took it for a drive. This one was Sport Red Metallic (Maroon) with graphite leather.

I was impressed with the new Vortec 6.2 (380 hp @ 5700/ 417 tq @4300). It had smooth power through out my full throttle blasts, and actually hauled that big land yacht up to speed rather quickly.

Saturday afternoon I bought a longer alternator belt for the 77. I was determined that I was not going to be defeated this time. I headed home and pulled my new bag of belts out. I had to play with the A/C belt to get it on correctly, but I finally put the 77 back together.

While I was doing this I noticed what looked like fresh motor oil on the front of the crossmember. Fortunately I had talked to n2billet earlier in the day and he said it might be the power steering hose leaking. It turned out he was right.

The power steering pump had a bit of fluid on the bottom. I tightened the low pressure hose clamps and wiped everything clean. Now I need to test it out on the road to see if that fixed it.

I dusted the truck of and hit the road. I went to a local cruise spot and hung out. The cars were hot and so was the weather. Even at 10:30 pm it was still hot out.

Today I worked in the yard all day. I had a crew come over and we trimmed/weeded all my beds. Dang it was hot....

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-16-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: What did you get done?

You ain't kidding on it being hot here in Texas. Thursday evening I was walking back to the truck from a day of work and saw a puddle of fluid under the truck. I was like crap not the tranny fluid again! Just earlier int eh week the tranny had been leaking and I took it back to the shop where it was rebuilt. It happen to be a bad O-ring in the tail shaft. I tried to take the tail shaft off but I couldn't get one bolt loose. Besides it was still under warranty so I had them replace it.

Well I get out there to the truck and look closer and it's antifreeze. I checked the radiator and it was really low. I filled it back with water and fired it up. Sure enough it was leaking I mean flowing steady from behind the water pump itself at the lower part. This was the pump that came with the motor so it had served it's life really well for 4 years now.

So the next day I called into work to let them know about the pump and I was going to be out all day. Of course the one time I take a personal day in 3 years they get pissed. Oh well I've got to have a truck to be able to drive to and from. So I called around to see who had one in stock not the rebuilt stuff but the good ones. No one had one in stock and the AC Delco dealer had one for a 1 year warranty for $90 more than the good one at the local AZ So I filled the truck up to the brim with water, headed out to AZ and picked the new one up. While I was there I picked up a puller/pusher to fix the p/s pump. Filled up again and headed back.

After the truck cooled off I took off the alt, p/s pump and water pump. I cleaned up the mess from the leak and pulled the pulley on the p/s pump. No wonder it was giving me trouble- two bolts were loose and one was missing!! So I found an extra bolt, used red thread locker on all of them and pushed the pulley back on. Then everything went back together fine.

Jody came out and came to see how it was going. She said I was burnt. I figured my neck would be but I was shaded most of the time. But right above the waist line is where I was cooked. From time to time my shirt in back would come up and then it was getting baked nice and crispy. 107* outside and I'm replacing the water pump. I think I would have rather been at work than doing all that.

Other than that I'm off the next two days so I've got to get off my a$$ and get the Blazer running.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Crank

Well I sat here in Pensacola and did absolutely nothing. I hate this place, costs 50 bucks to go out to town and back in a cab. So I stayed in my barracks, but I do think I finally got arrangements made for my girl to go pick up my newly acquired '86 GMC, from VA. Hopefully that'll be done next Sunday, I'll be happy to have that done.
Who's Next? What did y'all do?
Brandon
Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
C&C Chevy

I found a muffler shop that would run true duals and drop the cat that was choking my exhaust.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
Old 07-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
SCOTI

I helped my buddy yank the motor out of his newly aquired 79 elCamino. It appears there was so much sludge built up @ the top of the heads that oil was not draining back into the pan. It eventually locked the motor & inspection so far shows rod-bearing & crank journal damage.

Today was spent out back working w/my GF on some landscaping. For grins, I put my garage thermometer out on the patio table to see how bad it really was. Under the patio-table umbrella, the temp was 110°F & we were working out in the direct sunlight! Completing that job took most of the afternoon & we were both worn pretty ragged.

Hopefully I'll get some garage time in next week on the 68.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
bwright

I got the 3" drop coil, new lower balljoint, and new shock installed on the driver side of my '77...what should have been a simple 2 hour job, took more like 6 hours. The BJ wouldn't come out of the spindle...I ended up having to make a tool to press it out (the parts store rent-a-tool wouldn't fit). After I finally got it out of the spindle, the BJ wouldn't separate from the a-arm...had to make another press to get that part out.

On the other side I'm just going to drop the rear of the lower a-arm at the u-bolts (couldn't be anymore difficult than separating the BJ from the spindle).

Hopefully I can find time this week to get the passenger side coil in and flip the rear.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

Had the a/c charged on my 86 and helped my son install a water pump on the 78 w/ the 454, hot, hot, hot 116 yesterday and today
Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Ric83

With all this hot weather, I was actually glad I was at work all weekend in the a/c. Well, actually got off of work early on Sat. for my nephew's baptism. That was pretty kool. Then watched the Vargas vs Mosley fight that night. Pretty dissapointed. And then back to work on Sun. it was.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
1969K10

I don't usually bother you guys with my boring saga, but Saturday I went and helped my Mom install shut-off valves on both showers & 1 toilet (the other had one). She ran out of adapters, so she climbed under her trailer, and there were leaks... 2 hours later, we discover that the A/C unit is leaking down into the duct work, which is flowing to the lowest point (who'd a thunk), and then dripping out of the duct work, and THRU the insulation, and onto the ground... That'll get fixed later...
The house went on the market last week, so Sunday was pressure wash the house & shed. Then spent 4 hours getting the brake drum off the '72 (frozen brake) so that I could pull (tow-bar) it up to a buddies house that wants the front suspension components for his '68. Got that done, and there isn't enough weight on the front end to keep the wheels straight, so they sit slightly turned and drag... Gotta find a different way to get it there... Took a nap, cleaned up some of the mess in the garage, dishes, and made sure the living room looked OK incase the house gets shown...
Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Finally installed my new front bumper after straightening the passenger-side frame horn with my new porta-power (I don't need much to rationalize the purchase of a new tool!). Still need to buy a new outer bracket for the bumper, mine was bent out of shape too far to fix...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
SaskC10

Got my refurbished grill installed finally. Now i have to pick up a bumper from Steemin_ehman and get the truck down with the 3/4 kit i have in the box STILL.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
82c10
needin' money

well, no truck stuff again, but i went on vacation last week, went to nashville, then on to gatlinburg (tennessee) saw rick hurst "cletus" from the dukes of hazzard at cooter's place, pretty much nuthin else
Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Sunday I picked up my 6.0L manifolds that my buddy plugged one of the holes on and cut some block off plates for it. After Church I pulled the bed rails off the truck.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
1974gmc
In Progress

i had installed a rear axle flip, i went to hook the driveshaft up and its too long now

so now im thinking of putting in a 700r4 now since the driveshaft needs to be shortened.

im goin to post up some progress pics soon
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
jdmaffeo

I hit the junk yards on Saturday with a hang over. Let me tell you "don't do this". It was well over 100 and I ended up leaving with out anything in hand because I was ready to fall over from the heat (and bad hangover!). So I went back with a friend on Sunday and gathered some things that I saw that he needed for his frame off of a 1970 F100. I know.....It's not a chevy. He already has a sweet '55 that he has already completed. His granddad gave him the 70 that he had bought new in 69, so it's a cool story.... I did find some interior plastic that I needed in the right color and a possible cab that I might pick up if I can find out if it will work or not for my 84...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969K10
I don't usually bother you guys with my boring saga...
Guys this thread is for everyone, talking about everything. Yeah, it's more interesting if it's truck related, but that's not required.
We all know how good it feels to get things done through the week and weekend. This is everyone opportunity to recap it all and brag a little.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I picked up the cure for my Corvette Fever this Sunday. A buddy of mine buys and sells classic cars, and got a '73 L82/4 speed car in. It's red with tan, newer interior, and seems to run and drive well. It's also loud, reasonably quick, and hot, like an old Corvette is supposed to be. The other good thing is that is looks like a 68-72 when you open the garage door and see the rear of the car. Seems to have all of the neighbors talking......
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

just about finished raising the floor in my garage. All we need now is some doors, hang a little more metal and pour the concrete floor.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #19
1987 Shortwide

Well, not much car-related as usual lately, but I'll share anyhow. I've not made any mention of it yet but Saturday the 22nd I'll be signing away my.... err, I mean getting married. Of course, we've been planning for over a year but there's a million things that aren't done yet, which I blame on our purchase of our 1st home about 3 months ago.

Friday night was the girls' bachelorette party (I spelled that wrong, didn't I?), so me and the boys went out to the local hang out and talked cars, racing, girls, and whatnot (you all know the drill...)

Saturday I worked in the morning, then came home and cleaned the house and did lawn work (yes, I suck up, alot... it pays off), and headed over to the fiance's sister's house. I ended up helping my soon-to-be brother in law put a new thermostat in his lightly modded '99 lightning, then commenced to pig out on Applebee's ribs and chicken fingers.

Sunday consisted of watching my Wagon NOT sell on ebay (I posted a few pictures, as this is the cleanest she's ever been I think), tinkering around with stuff around the house, then a barbeque.

I doubt I'll be in next week's "WDYGD" thread, as monday we leave for 7 days in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I'll be sure to get some good pictures of the ladi.... errr scenery. Ah yeah, bachelor party is on Wed., so I'll also clean the house again and do some more yard work, otherwise...

My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.

Last edited by 1987 Shortwide; 07-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Early Congrats to ya Steve (1987 Shortwide)
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
C&C Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos
Early Congrats to ya Steve (1987 Shortwide)

On his wedding or honeymoon? J/k

Welcome to lockdown, Steve! It's good times. I promise...

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #22
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Yeah, that's it!...

BTW, forgot to mention that I also looked at these this weekend. I have NO idea why...

1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #23
n2billet
Village Idiot....

I watched this car on e-bay!, the wife reminded me that I didn't need another car but she said the 93 caprice wagon we had was the best car we had ever owned......

oh I didn't do anything but work this weekend, with any luck I'll be over the work crunch in a few weeks, have a 2-3 week break (hope to get the 68 done during this time) then I'm off over the pond for a few months....yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 Shortwide
Well, not much car-related as usual lately, but I'll share anyhow. I've not made any mention of it yet but Saturday the 22nd I'll be signing away my.... err, I mean getting married. Of course, we've been planning for over a year but there's a million things that aren't done yet, which I blame on our purchase of our 1st home about 3 months ago.

Friday night was the girls' bachelorette party (I spelled that wrong, didn't I?), so me and the boys went out to the local hang out and talked cars, racing, girls, and whatnot (you all know the drill...)

Saturday I worked in the morning, then came home and cleaned the house and did lawn work (yes, I suck up, alot... it pays off), and headed over to the fiance's sister's house. I ended up helping my soon-to-be brother in law put a new thermostat in his lightly modded '99 lightning, then commenced to pig out on Applebee's ribs and chicken fingers.

Sunday consisted of watching my Wagon NOT sell on ebay (I posted a few pictures, as this is the cleanest she's ever been I think), tinkering around with stuff around the house, then a barbeque.

I doubt I'll be in next week's "WDYGD" thread, as monday we leave for 7 days in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I'll be sure to get some good pictures of the ladi.... errr scenery. Ah yeah, bachelor party is on Wed., so I'll also clean the house again and do some more yard work, otherwise...

Old 07-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #24
84 400
Sb 400 club

Work same old ...........
Went to a crusie in saw some nice stuff. i had the only chevy (73 to87) Saw a really nice 71 3 door burb

Today i went to another cruse in almost 300 cars and trucks. 1 86 gmc in nice shape! 1 78 lowered chopped 78 chevy pick up that i can't say i like but when i go agian i will get a pic of it for yall and one 83 stepper that was really nice. also a bunch of chevelles caddys and other neat stuff. They have the show i just came home from every wednesay night and when i get the chance i will snap a pic.
or too or three or four ........
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #25
Gary

I started this today: http://faith.dixiesys.com/Headliner

Just got back from the fabric store with new headliner padding, spray adhesive, and some awesome blue vinyl, headliner first, doorpanels second. Then I guess it's order some fresh vinyl blue covers for the seat, gotta shop and find the best place (by best I mean cheapest) to get a good tight fitting cover from. Might just get it done at a shop, or maybe make some myself if I get brave.

Took some fresh pics of the truck today: http://faith.dixiesys.com/85-Silverado/IMAGE_00035 #6-11 are from this afternoon, my new cell phone takes pretty decent (OUTSIDE) pics.
Closed Thread