The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question TRANSMISSION line questions

hey guys!
well i am almost there, i am going to try to get the tranny all connected sometime this week. anyways i am wanting to hook up my trans. cooler now that you guys helped me with the location issue. i ended up putting it below the rad. behind the front bumper. anyways i was going to buy the trans. lines to hook it up & was wanting to know if the stock '72 tranny lines from a th350 will exactly fit a 700r4??? i thought that i would buy the stock lines & then cut & modify them to run to the cooler. i have no idea what size the lines should be or what size the fittings would be to go on the lines? after hooking up the lines i am going to tow it over to the tranny shop & have them fully hook up the complete transmission with the gear selection set for me.

thanks for any help & information in advance!!!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: TRANSMISSION line questions

I don't know if I would run the cooler behind the bumper, it's not gonna get any airflow around it. 100* + ambient temperature with no airflow around the cooler usually = burned up tranny.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
ChevyDude

I just did this with my truck which has a 700r4 and an 18" cylinder finned cooler. Behind the bumper is not the best place. Heat kills transmissions and for me with what I spent on my new 700r4 tranny....That cooler had to be "In the wind". I am going to have to lower mine about two inches but she's out their in the front just behind the grill and "In the wind"!!! I used 3/8" braided lines and and barb hose fitting with Spectre Magna clamp ends. Not much pressure on these lines and seemed I could route the lines easily and all for about 60 bucks. You can see it there on the right. It does need to be lowered like I did the radiator puke can on the left. Hood just does clear so with a bracket that I'll fab up....she will be going 2" lower but staying just where she is!
Attached Images

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-18-2006 at 12:01 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

chevy dude,
thanks for the advice. i also have the same "puke" can as you. i am wanting to put mine in the exact location that you have yours. would you mind telling me how & with what you mounted your canister with???
the great detail would be very appreciated. also would you tell me where you purchased the trans. lines & fittings from? did you run the hose the entire length back to the tranny??

thanks again!!!!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote