The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
etg

Dmv Regulations

So i just realized that getting my vehicle registered with the DMV might be kinda tough. I got the truck from my uncle who live in Tijuana, Mexico. He has had it for 10 years minimum, and I have had it for 1, so at least 11 years have gone by that it has been out of the California DMV system. A friend tells me that after 5 years all records are wiped if your vin has not been registered within that time. With my luck the truck was probably stolen from the US like 15 years ago and taken to mexico, I mean why would it end up in TJ? So should I expect any problems from the DMV? Does anyone know how to go about registering a vehicle after it has been out of the DMV system for so long? If not for california any state because rules may be similar. Thanks
etg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
tom71
what happened to flint mi

Re: Dmv Regulations

mine was out for 10 yrs as long as there is not any back registration fees i dont think you will have any problems and if there is back fees all they want is your money , they wont ask too look at it . but if it is hot that i dont know .
56 gmc 2wd project waitng
97 fiance mobile
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
68c10owner

you can always run the VIN by the CHP or the DMV. I`ve done it a few times. If it`s stolen then it doesn`t matter how long it`s been out of the system, it will come up stolen. If it doesn`t then you should be fine.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
etg

I hope its not stolen hehe. So pretty much its back dues to re-register it? I wonder how much that will be
Old 07-20-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
wibilly

personaly i would not pay any back fees. i would register it in a state that didn't rip you off with back fees then transfer it when they came due again
Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
rwgregory

First thing is to have the numbers run to see if it is stolen or if there have
been any violations logged against it such as parking tickets, moving violations
accidents, etc. If it comes up clean, have your uncle in TJ give you a letter
stating he gave it to you as a gift. You can fill out a "non-op" form at the
DMV stating you have not used it on a California roadway and you will not be
charged any back fees. It should only cost you transfer fees and current
license fees. You may have to have the numbers inspected at the CHP office.
Other than that, that should be about it. Good luck!!

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
etg

Thanks! So get the VIN (off the chassis) checked by the CHP for any infractions. If clean get a statement of change of ownership and file for non-operational on Cali Roads, and pay registrations fees. What if it is stolen or has infractions? I'm only worried because it has to have been out of the country for some reason, if not stolen why would it be in mexico?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
longhorn70gmc

ETG, Here is some help.
Down in Imperial Beach off the main drag, like your taking the road that turns into the strand, there is a old western style restourant and a Tatoo parlor. In that same area, there is a place where two former DMV employee experts work out of. You have to make an appointment, You will pay a small fee to deal with them but, there is no lines or major waiting time and this Lady will take care of you and give you all the facts to fix this you need. She helped me on my Longhorn and knows the ins and outs the DMV can't tell you about. They can even register it for you through the DMV. Sort of like a one, stop shop. Good Luck and I hope this helps you. Feel free to PM me for any help. I will try to look up here name and info. I think I still have it.
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Jayss109

heres the real question, DO YOU HAVE THE TITLE?

I didnt have mine(ebay buy from hell). ran with no reg for 3+ years (outta state tags saved my butt).
I had to...eh hem..."stretch the truth" a little about the date I bought it, and eh hem, knew a cop that could sign off on my inspection sheet (yes sir, that is the original 350, NOT a 500 cadillac) and I had to buy a bond... to insure that its mine, and will always be mine.

After late fees (6 months of back registration fees etc etc etc), bond, weight cert, hell I forget everything... about $1k to get my baby registered.

Anyone else here in CA have a commericial reg? DMV said that it was because of weight and its a truck... I said BS, a new hummer ways more than my truck...so my reg for a 30 y/o truck costs more than a 20 y/o VW?

Have to have a "permament camper shell" to not be commercial vechile.

Good luck dude....Find the quietest, smallest, no mans land DMV office to do you work. ( or see above post). I went to Santa Cruz and it was cake!

J
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Jayss109; 04-27-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:30 AM   #10
Apache'71

It appears all the trucks that people were registering were "in tact and running". But for additional info for those folks who are like me...My truck has no front clip or engine...

I recently towed my truck down from Washington to California. The truck currrently has no front clip installed (have all the parts in my connex) and no engine. I went to the DMV (with title in hand) and inquired about registering as a non-op so I can insure the truck. Well, I left the DMV after they told me the truck must be complete and running in road worthy condition (yes, CHP inspection required as well as a certified weight report)...

I sure hope nobody ripps me off (unless it is Overhaulin!) as my truck is currently unregistered, uninsured and yearning for a littel TLC...better get after it...
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
Jayss109

apache....any peace officer can fill out that form... not just CHP

j
________
Montana medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by Jayss109; 04-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #12
HotRod71
Short, Fleet, Slammed, V8 Club

Sounds like you guys need to move outta Cali. No of that crap out here in the hills of northeast TN. You would be surprised how many ppl out here don't even bother registering a vehicle and just swap the tag from one to the other. Some ppl trade too much ya know? Even if you don't have a title then all you need is a bill of sale and the vin # and you can go to the DMV and walk out with a new title in 5 minutes. I love living in the country.

71 Chevy SWB Fleetside (WIP)

www.4x4grace.com
HotRod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
etg

Thank the Democrats and their high taxes to pay for services that only restrict my liberties. This state is way too tight on regulations, especially at the DMV.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
CHAPS7931

hello everybody, A few days ago i was going through the faq side and came across some interesting info that could save a lot of money here is the linkhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=166882
CHAPS7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
Gary

This is why, while I lived in California for a while, when my tags came due I had my dad go to the courthouse back in Alabama, renew my tags and send me the stickers!
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
RSRXION

Do we really want to bring political parties into this discussion ? I think there's plenty of blame to go around without pointing any fingers. JMHO, Dean
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #17
alschevy
Account Suspended

ok you could call ed up he will sell you a vin plate and title for a $100 dollors
if you think the truck is stolen. ed is the boss of mother truckers they are all
about old chey trucks and parts call 18667556772
alschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
etg

Haha whose this ed and is he doing this illegaly? Seems shifty to me....
Old 08-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #19
longhorn70gmc

ETG,
It took me a little while but I found the info for ya. The place is called Bryant's Auto Registration service
1235 Palm Avenue
Imperial Beach, CA
Phone: 619) 424-6888
I hope this helps. Sorry if I wasn't quick enough. Good luck on figuring your situation out.
Respectfully

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

In California, all you need is a bill of sale, and a vehical verification by a peace officer if it has not been registered in California in the last 5 years. You will not have any trouble getting this done.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #21
extd56

When I bought a truck that PO had lost the title to I got a bill of sale from the owner and a statement of facts from them about where the truck has been stored the last 10 years and what happenened to the title, paid my fees to the state, and then got the truck verified at the CHP who looked at the VIN number and signed the paperwork for DMV. On my 67 GMC there are no frame numbers to match to the cab, I have seen a lot of the GMC trucks this way, don't know why. I was told by DMV that they go by the vin on the cab, not the frame. I got my weight certificate so that the state could get the weight fees from me for a truck that will not probably haul anything, took the whole mess to DMV and 2 weeks later I got a title. I have titled a few trucks this way and it is always the same for me. Hope this helps.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #22
etg

Thanks guys. As soon as my truck can run under its own power I will register and insure it. I don't think theres a point until then because it's just sitting in my driveway. Thanks again.