The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
DeBlk3Rulz

Lightbulb Opinion's...?

My first posting...I am appreciative for the help I am to recieve!

First off, I lost my Brother to cancer almost 4 years ago. He truly was something...My earliest memories were "assisting" on the MANY projects that he had taken on...My first lesson was the proverbial "Holding The Flashlight"

That said...His FINAL Project is my reason for subscribing, and this first post.
The Project is a ' 72 Chevy C-20 Longbed 402/400. I do not have much trailering experience except with Military Vehicles...and my question is the safety of towing this project with a Well Conditioned Mid 90's F-150 Supercab with a 5.8...a Tandem Axle Trailer with Brakes...and a distance that is a tad over 1200 miles. While I know the wheelbase...I am unable to find the weight of the truck...as that would answer the question of safety...
The Tow Vehicle has a Class 3 Hitch, and the trailer is close to 1800 lbs alone...

In consideration of the sheer distance...I ALSO have recieved bids to transport the truck to my home...the price almost rivals the value of the truck. (although my personal opinion in value is priceless!)

I simply wish to solicit opinions/encouragement...and NOT trying to gain assistance in the haul!

My family appreciates any help that we can get.

Johnnie
DeBlk3Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Re: Opinion's...?

Welcome to the board from Calif. Sorry for your loss.

I am not sure of the f150's towing capacity, but I would say that 1200 miles towing a truck that outwieghs it plus the tandem trailer might be abit too much for that f&rd.

Good luck and get us some pictures... (the folks here go crazy without pics)
Old 07-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
stope4

I don't know the towing capacity either. With that being said, I don't think it will be a problem. Just keep the 150 in third when in hilly country and overdrive when on the flat plains. Remember, it's a truck. I tow boats all the time with my 95 Chevy and my 71. I have never had a problem. As for the trailer, you need to find it's axle capacity. There should be a name tag somewhere that will give you that information. Sometimes the trailer registration will have that info. but I think I would look for the name plate.

By the way, I am sorry for your loss. Looks like your brother left you with something that will always remind you of him. In my world that's the perfect complement from those who have left us. Them leaving something behind for us to remember them by.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
alf1096

My .02
Just take it easy and don't drive to fast...you can tell me and stope4 are from TEXAS because we think a truck will haul anything. If it will fit on the trailer the truck will pull it. But seriouly I do not think it will be a problem I have pulled lot of boats and trailers with a 1/2 ton.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
ChevyCrazy67

3 peat for me too, if ya can get it on the trailor the jobs half over. like stope4 said watch your transmission when your on the hills bump back in od in the flats don't let it overheat with ya and you should be just fine.

1967 C-10 swb fleetside

1968 C-10 stepside

1999 Z71- sons dd

1999 2wd silverado-my dd

2003 Tahoe- wifes dd
ChevyCrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Technicly, you'll be overweight.
If this trailer is a U-Haul, they won't rent it to you unless you tell them it is a geo going on the trailer.

With that being said, I'd do it...I've done worse. You've driven military stuff, so you know all about not trusting your equipment, treat your F-150 like a M-35, and you'll be fine. Down sift on hills and conserve your brakes, don't over heat your brakes, enter turns wide and slow, and back up only when needed.
The truck you'll be towing will probably be over 4000 pounds. If it has junk/parts in the bed, it could get to 4500 quite easily. So in all reality, this is well more than your truck is built for, and out weighs your tow vehicle, so don't get cocky, esp in the rain.

But, as long as you are carefull, it'll do it. (I'd stay out of overdrive all together if you plan on keeping this F-150 for a long time, Automatic overdrives like blowing up when overloaded and used in O/D)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your loss. I would do it, but I'm not the most careful person around.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
TugOwar

Howdy Johnnie and welcome from South TX; thank you for your service.
Sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the tow and as Longhorn Man mentioned, CAUTION should be the word of the day while on this trip. No doubt it can be done.

Be safe and we'll be needing pics ASAP!
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I'll add my condolences and also I agree with the above posts. I have pulled trailers like the one you mention with my 88 F-150 300 I-6 and the four speed works great. I hauled a 68 parts truck on one with no problems but it was all flat highway. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Again, sorry for the loss, but the momory will live on with the 72.

My uncle hualed my 67 from southwest NY to Columbia, SC (about 730 miles) back in 2003 with a '96 silverado ex cab 2wd shortbox with a 5.7. He used a trailer like you're using a tandem axle 24' car trailer with trailer brakes. No problems on the way down, just a slow, long trip. My 67 weighs about 3,700 pounds and the 71 longbed probably weighs in the low 4,000 range with the 402. I'd do it. Just take your time and be safe
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
BigMike

Like all the prior posts I am sorry for your loss, it is a tough thing to have lost a sibling.

I also agree with those above that say you shouldn't have too much problem towing it. Make sure your radiator is capped off and keep an eye on the temp gauge just in case. Take it easy, stay in the slow lane on hills and watch the downhill speed because a long down hill will surely get the brakes hot. Be safe.

Also, welcome to the board from Southern California! You will find all the information you need to finish the project right hear with our incredibly knowledgeable members. More than likely one of us have done it, seen it, or heard about it

Good luck, I hope you keep us informed on the process...we are project process junkies

Mike

Last edited by BigMike; 07-24-2006 at 02:26 PM.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #12
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Glad to read you trailer has brakes. That will be a big help safety-wise. I've pulled similar loads with a GMC Yukon 4 door without problems. Like said, keep that tranny out of overdrive. Heck even with an unloaded trailer it is wise to keep the tranny out of overdrive.

Good luck and be safe.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
57sailplane

well,

i tell ya what we did. my buddy bought a 68 firebird with motor and tranny from a guy on ebay who lives sanantonio california.. my friend has a guttless 96 chevy tahoe. i think they are heavier than you pickup. oh by the way we live in nebraska so we had to pull the car plus parts over the mountains (continetal devide). what we did was drove out there then rented a car tote. you know just the axle and hitch then you put the front wheels of your vehicle on the tote. save a bunch of weight and you don't have to pull it there. we made it with only one problem. the ac clutch broke just as we got into nebraska, but all in all it went rather well. we drove out which was 1500 miles one way piked up the car that morning and drove back. we got home the next after noon. 2 1/2 days 3000 miles is to much without a break, but we did it. anyway i would consider the car tote. the one we rented was from u haul and was pretty heavy unit. just tell them its a camaro your pulling. you should be just fine. cause a pontiac motor is pretty heavy.. anyways good luck....
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

sailplane, the tow dolly you are recomending doesn't have brakes, on an F-150, he's more in need of brakes than hauling capacity. Otherwise, I'd have said go with a tow bar.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
roughedup72

Hello, Sorry for your loss.
I recently hauled a 72 lwb small block from virginia to s.c. on a trailer like you are describing except without trailer brakes and was in an 2005 f-150 crew cab the one with the short box. We drove 70mph on the way back and didnt have any problems except for the stomach virus I had The truck did fine, I on the other hand was a different story. Where are you pulling it from anyway? Maybe somebody here could help out. Just a thought. Theres alot of great guys and gals on this board so it never hurts to ask.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I say do not use OD, make sure the trailer brakes are working and take it easy. Everything should be fine.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #17
TugOwar

Also, take a buddy along. One likes to talk or one who is a good driver or both. When the road gets long and the eyes get heavy its good to have someone along to help make decisions and keep you awake. It'll be a fun adventure, best to share it with a pal.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
_Dick_
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER

speed will kill you or your truck ,add a couple days so you dont feel pressured

check your trucks cooling system ,its a extra hot summer your system needs to be near perfect

the board has a safety system of sorts ,you need to get the phone numbers BEFORE leaving The idea is if you get in trouble along the way ,the members of the board maybe able to come help you ,theses are special numbers to special people you need then with you

a 2nd way is calling a member you know on your cell phone so they can post the problem in detail (people that understand trucks ) maybe get help to you

my point is there are 22,000 members willing to help you along the way if they can ,you just need to inform them ,have faith they will try there best

to sum up

Go Slow
Stay Cool
Be Safe

We all do Care
Goods Luck
_Dick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

tire pressure... add that to the list.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #20
Skruffy

I too am sorry for your loss, but I'm going to dissent from the others on the towing.

I know the trailer has brakes but, still, that's an extra 1800 lbs you're pulling.

Having made a two-way trip pulliing a 71 shortbed with a 70 longbed w/350 using a U-Haul trailer one way and a tow bar on the way back, I much preferred the towbar. Just my .02.
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
Gray Ghost

Sorry about your brother....my 70 longbed half ton weighs in at 4060. Your 3/4 ton should tip the scales at 4800-5000 depending on how it's equipped.

The normal car hauler weighs in around 1000-1100 lbs making your total 6100. Most half tons are rated at around 5600 GVW. You can check the numbers at F150.com in their forum from what I hear [not a Ford guy, but I've heard they have a forum there].

You should have no trouble if you do as the others have suggested and take it easy. Check on the vehicle's tiedowns every 100-150 miles even if you chain it down [recommended].

Good luck and hope you enjoy the project!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Other than the above the only thing I think you should consider is adding a tranny cooler to the ford.It may help keep the tranny alive all those miles with the extra weight=heat.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote