The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Low84

Problem with starters

Alright, I am frustrated beyond words. In a span of I would say a little over 1 yr, 1 1/2 yrs tops. I've gone through 3 starters. 4th one is now dead too. I'm about to buy my 5th starter if my memory serves me correct. Any ideas as to what might be causing my starters to fry?

Right now its parked, but when I had it running I was literally afraid to turn off the truck at the gas station becase I didn't know if it was to fire back up again. Somebody please help me.

Last edited by Low84; 07-23-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Low84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Problem with starters

Are the starters frying OR is it that they are not turning over the engine when it is hot. If that is the case, then the starter is probably good, but the solenoid is getting hot and the relay is not allowing the contacts to make up on the starter very well. Relays and solenoids hate heat. If you happen to run headers that mkse it worse. The starter is right down there close to the exchaust pipe and it gets a case of "HEAT SOAK" and then it does not turn over unless you let it cool off.

There are a couple of different theories on this ; 1) the relay can be moved by using a seperate unit (like a Ford). These are sold as kits for GM vehicles. 2) You can [urchase a "Magnetic starter and remove the solenoid design from the starter area and that works well. I chose the second avenue for my trucks and I like the way they work.

If the starter itself is fried, then there are a couple things that could do that. 1) bad cables--not allowing proper voltage to turn over the starter, this creates heat inside the windings. 2) low battery voltage ---maybe a bad cell in the battery.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Low84

Re: Problem with starters

Thanks a lot, bro. I appreciate it.

Yeah, the starters are frying. They were completley gone. I also don't run headers, and always had a way easier time starting it over, after the first time, probably the carb though.

The good thing is that I now have things to check, and options on how to fix them. I'm going to guess it might be the battery because it has also suddenly died on me a couple of times. I'm going to go ahead and replace the battery and a new same style starter unless there is not much price difference. Should that starter get fried too, I'll buy the magnetic starter.

Thanks again.