The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Regarding the "easy disk brake swap " thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=35042

Just why won't the '88-'94(?) 6-bolt rotors work with the '73 to '87 spindles. I ask cause I stripped a '85 frame for the brakes. Are the rotors too different to fit the spindle or what?

Would just prefer off the shelf parts to special ones. At this point it isn't worth the extra $$ to change now.

Just wish I had found this a couple years ago
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Rydn2L0w

Re: Regarding the "easy disk brake swap " thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Toejam
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=35042

Just why won't the '88-'94(?) 6-bolt rotors work with the '73 to '87 spindles. I ask cause I stripped a '85 frame for the brakes. Are the rotors too different to fit the spindle or what?

Would just prefer off the shelf parts to special ones. At this point it isn't worth the extra $$ to change now.

Just wish I had found this a couple years ago
When I researched it last year I found the distance from the back of the rotor to where the rotor would sit against the spindle was different between the two years. I went to discount auto parts , compared and measured the two. So I figure the caliper would be in the wrong position if you were to attempt to use the later model rotor. There is a guy that used late model spindles rotor on a 1 ton 68 lower control arm on this forum somewhere, he listed all the parts he used. Try doing a search for it.
Rydn2L0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

That is the thread I am referencing, used 88 3/4 ton spindles, etc. But either missed the difference or no one said just why these rotors, that use the same bearings would not work on the 73-87 1/2 ton spindles.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
Old 07-30-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
Rydn2L0w

Quote:
That is the thread I am referencing, used 88 3/4 ton spindles, etc. But either missed the difference or no one said just why these rotors, that use the same bearings would not work on the 73-87 1/2 ton spindles.
sorry I noticed that after I responded and clicked on the link. Well hopefully my response answered your question. I was hoping to use a late model rotor on the early model spindle as well. If you find something different please let me know.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Not a problem. Given the way the big 3 do things, the distance between the bearings could be different. Since the back-spacing is it different , is it too much to work with the stated 1/2 ton spindles and calipers? I think everyone here knows that just because there is a slight difference, doesn't mean it can't work.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Rydn2L0w

Quote:
Not a problem. Given the way the big 3 do things, the distance between the bearings could be different. Since the back-spacing is it different , is it too much to work with the stated 1/2 ton spindles and calipers? I think everyone here knows that just because there is a slight difference, doesn't mean it can't work.
The two rotors use the exact same bearings. The problem is the spacing. If you bolt the 90s rotors to the 72 spindles. The caliper wont slide over the rotor. Maybe if you modify the 72 spindles and or make new caliper brackets? I think it would be much simpler to buy 6 lug rotors from cpp. That is a direct bolt on. I measured the two rotors side by side at the local discount auto parts before xmas last year. From what I remember they were both the same diameter and circumference. The only difference is the back spacing.

Last edited by Rydn2L0w; 07-30-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

I think that is what I'm gonna do. At cpp they are $65 each ($129 pair), which isn't that much more than these 3/4 ones. Especially if you figure the cost to modify the setup. Just like it isn't worth it to get the 3/4 ton setup with money already in the parts I have. Yeah, shipping is more. I just would have liked to buy off-the-shelf.

Last edited by 70C10Toejam; 07-30-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Rydn2L0w

Quote:
I think that is what I'm gonna do. At cpp they are $65 each ($129 pair), which isn't that much more than these 3/4 ones. Especially if you figure the cost to modify the setup. Just like it isn't worth it to get the 3/4 ton setup with money already in the parts I have. Yeah, shipping is more. I just would have liked to buy off-the-shelf.
That is the exact same reason I researched it. I wanted over the counter parts instead of mail order. Just didnt seem worth it to me. I dont have spindles yet,But I have ART strong arms with 73-87 ball joints . So the 3/4 ton parts wouldnt work.