The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Madbomber88

Quadrajet Gurus, I need help.

My edelbrock quadrajet #1901 was missing the fast idle cam that the PO had for some reason taken off of my otherwise stock (except for HEI) 72 K20. He left it with the truck in a box, so i went to put it back on.

Without the fast idle cam, it's been fine because it has been so hot, but in order to properly tune the carb, I need it back on. I think I put it on correctly, but I must have done something wrong.

Now it idles way too fast, and I cannot get it to come down. And when I drive it, it spits and has no power. I can't figure out what is wrong. The regular idle screw won't do anything. It's like there is too much vacuum or something.

What did I do wrong?
Madbomber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Quadrajet Gurus, I need help.

Don't know if this will help but go here and check it out.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gi...delbrock_1.htm

To adjust the fast idle linkage (Figure 11) place the fast idle screw A between the two notches on the cam. Close the choke valve as far as possible without forcing it. The dimension C should be 3/64" between the choke valve and the air horn. To adjust bend rod D.

Fast idle may be adjusted to manufacturers specifications (usually 1500 rpm) during normal choke cold operation. The fast idle screw A can be adjusted with engine off and throttle held open to allow screw head access. Recheck fast idle speed after each adjustment.

The length of time during which the choke will stay closed is determined by the position of the choke cap. As the choke cap is turned clockwise the choke will stay closed longer. To properly set the choke turn the choke cap to the leanest notch on the choke housing, tighten the choke housing retaining screws, and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached. With the engine running, slowly turn the choke cap clockwise until the choke valve begins to close. Now turn the choke housing one notch counterclockwise (LEAN) and tighten the choke housing retaining screws. Periodic readjustment of the choke will be required as the temperature changes throughout the year. After each adjustment verify that the choke valve opens fully after the engine is warm.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 07-30-2006 at 12:48 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote