The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
aboyer
Adam B

Rear Disc Question

A while back, I purchased a set of rear disc brake brackets. I am in the process of putting everything together and ran into a problem. I purchased the 80-85 Cadillac Seville rear disc calipers and they came complete with the hardware mounting bolts.

The question that when I mount up the calipers with the metal brackets, the only thing that holds the calipers in place are two 3inch hex head bolts. The brackets and calipers do not have anything to screw itself into to hold in place.

I am not sure if I need to have a nut on the threaded part of the bolt to hold in in place or not. If any one has any insight or picture they can help me out with this. I want to make sure I install everything correctly and don't do any damage on the rear end.

Thanks,
Adam
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Rear Disc Question

Can you post a pic of what you have? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Rydn2L0w

Re: Rear Disc Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyer
A while back, I purchased a set of rear disc brake brackets. I am in the process of putting everything together and ran into a problem. I purchased the 80-85 Cadillac Seville rear disc calipers and they came complete with the hardware mounting bolts.

The question that when I mount up the calipers with the metal brackets, the only thing that holds the calipers in place are two 3inch hex head bolts. The brackets and calipers do not have anything to screw itself into to hold in place.

I am not sure if I need to have a nut on the threaded part of the bolt to hold in in place or not. If any one has any insight or picture they can help me out with this. I want to make sure I install everything correctly and don't do any damage on the rear end.

Thanks,
Adam
IM not exactly sure what your pieces look like.. maybe you can tap the bracket or the caliper to the size of your 3inch hex head bolt. On my 79 malibu I swapped to the larger camaro rotors and am using wilwood calipers, thats what we ended up doing is drilling out the the spindle to run the bolts through and tapped the caliper to screw the bolts into.
Rydn2L0w is offline   Reply With Quote