The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
bryanw1968

Sun Motor Tester....

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
A buddy of mine had a junk dealer friend would had it and just wanted to get rid of it. It was offered to me and of course I took it off their hands.
You really have to see this thing in person to truly appreciate it. ALL of it is still functional. It came from a dealership in Houston, Texas and still has the manual. It can; read air/fuel, volts, amps, vacuum, rpms, test points, condensor and dwell. I am in the process of cleaning it up. Sun has been out of business for so long I am not able to find out the exact date it was made. I am trying to get a clue what it might be worth. Anyway, thought ya'll might enjoy this.

Check out the pics here:

http://public.fotki.com/bryanw1968/
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Re: Sun Motor Tester....

When I was young and working at dealerships they were the only way to go. I had one for a couple of years but let it go when I sold my shop in Michigan in 1978 to move back home to Tennessee. I don't think you would use it much on the new cars. But on the old trucks it would be handy. If you got plenty of room park it along the wall for a conversation piece.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
JameslovesJammie
God Bless Mr. T

There are a couple of them in a car museum in Minnesota I was just at. They are really quite a nifty machine! I think it was in Rogers, where the new Cabelas store is at.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
RSRXION

These are a couple other Sun brand analyzers. I found these iin the storage room of an auto repair facility that was closed a few years back. The shop was opened in the 20's as a buggy repair facility and glass shop. It quickly morphed into an auto repair shop as the "horseless carriage era " came about. The shop survived in the same location for nearly 80 years being handed down from generation to generation. These were among the old tools that got set aside but never thrown away. I bought them from a great, great grandson of the shops founder. They're cool as hell but I don't really need them and I don't have any place to store them. I may put them on ebay. Take a look at the neat old logos as well as the 40's era car and biplane. I apologize for the fact that they are filthy. I haven't touched them since I drug them out of the pile of parts and tools. Dean
Attached Images

Last edited by RSRXION; 08-02-2006 at 04:31 PM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
bryanw1968

Very cool. It looks like what you have are smaller versions of what I have and probably older. I wish I knew what this stuff might be worth. A buddy of mine who has way more money than he knows what to do with said name a price but if I did sell them I want to know exactly what they're worth. For now I'm just holdin' on to em'. Great pics!
B
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Downtown

Bryan

I have the exact same machine including the cart. The condition is even the same. I just got because I thought it would look cool sitting in the garage. I have no idea what it is worth.

72 Super Cheyenne Longbed 350 49,000 original miles and My dad ordered it new

66 Chevy Caprice 2 dr

74 Honda CB750

New Palestine, IN
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
incoma

Those might be candidates for the antique road show.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think they were built up until the early 70's.We had one in the high school auto shop.They were the top of the line test and tune tool at the time.The other machine we had was a Sun Distributor machine.It was great for testing distributors setting up advance curves and testing all types of ignition problems.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote