The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
chook

Removal of original steering wheel - help

I could use some help in trying to remove the existing steering wheel on my 71 Cheyenne truck. I want to replace it with an after market wheel. I have removed the nut and washer that retains the wheel and have had a 3 jaw puller set up on the wheel trying to dislodge it. I have had some considerable weight on her and have tapped the pullers center bolt to try and jar it loose off the spline, but to no avail. Has anybody else had similar problems? Is there something I'm missing. Is there some sort of hidden grub screw or something else that is preventing this wheel from coming loose?
Any help would be appreciated
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Bob Moore

Re: Removal of original steering wheel - help

There is no hidden screw or anything like that. Just 30 years of being stuck in one place. A steering wheel puller is the preferred tool to remove it. Usually available at auto parts stores for under $10. Comes with several long bolts to fit other brands as well as GM.

Good luck - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

try these guys, you can't beat the price.
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...ring_wheel.htm

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
chook

Thanks guys,
I'll try a local shop for the puller!
Harry
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

A friend of mine tought me a cool trick years ago...........it really helps to have 2 people...you need a small ball peen hammer and a larger hammer. Rest the small end of the small hammer into the dimple in the end of the column shaft now use two hands to pull pressure on the steering wheel(like your trying to pull it off) then get someone to hold the little hammer and hit it with the larger hammer.....Has always worked for me and never damaged anything.
Good Luck
Mark
onetonk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I did it that way for years also, however, these columns are a crappy design, and doing that can damage the lower bearings.
Been there, done that.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

Thanks for the info Longhorn.......i should have prefaced that i havent used this trick on a 67-72.
onetonk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

A steering wheel puller is not expensive and to me is not an optional tool. Every tool box should have one.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

I had to put the steering wheel puller in a serious bind and then use a 2# hammer and hit the end of the puller and it popped off. Before that I pulled a grade 5 bolt in half with the puller, so it was either the hammer or my torch.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
pumpkin

I have always pulled steering wheels of by hand I take the nut off, put it back on about 6 threads, pull while rocking side to side. I have taken off wheels where pulers have broke in the threaded holes. Never use a hammer,they are very presision tools. In the wong hands a hammer is a means of destruction, in the correct hands they can be insturments of presision.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
big blue 72

broke my nose one summer taking mine off, forgot Andy's trick about putting the nut back on a few threads.
Now my nose is just a mass of scar tissue.
big blue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Oh hell... you HAD to mention that.
3 years ago at Mike's first Ohio Board Meet, I sold some one a grant GT wheel. I can never remember his screen name. Sorry man.
Anyways, I installed the wheel, but had to pop it off again for one reason or another. It's been a few years, I don't remember what it was, but I decided to jerk the wheel off. It wasn't budging. He starts heading up to mike's shop to get the puller. Well, stubborn @ss Andy keeps jerking on it. I give a real hard pull, as I am pulling back, I remember, "OH CRAP.... THERE"S NO NUT ON THE SHAFT!!!!!!!!"
Well, the wheel hit me in the forhead, which wasn't too bad, but when my head slammed into the back glass...THAT'S what almost knocked me out.
I don't remember him coming back up... I dunno if I blacked out, or if I actually got knocked out... either way, I had a headache for at least 3 days after that.

You GOTTA go to board meets...with some one like me there, you are GARANTEED a good laugh.

Like the POR incident the following year. That's another story for another time... I'll just say, NEVER fall asleep in a car, with a can of POR spilled in the trunk.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonk5
A friend of mine tought me a cool trick years ago...........it really helps to have 2 people...you need a small ball peen hammer and a larger hammer. Rest the small end of the small hammer into the dimple in the end of the column shaft now use two hands to pull pressure on the steering wheel(like your trying to pull it off) then get someone to hold the little hammer and hit it with the larger hammer.....Has always worked for me and never damaged anything.
Good Luck
Mark
Excellent method if you are in a pinch! I have done it solo by sitting in the seat and putting pressure on the dash side of the wheel with my knees. They pop off every time. The same principle works for the old stubborn 4x4 steering arm removal too!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote