The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
angus49

6 volt slow cranking

Need some help. I have a '50 3600 with the original 6 volt system. Would barely turn over to crank so I replaced the battery with a new one. Same thing. Very slow to turn over, but when it catches, runs fine and sounds great. The 216 is strap grounded to the frame and the cables on it look to me like they aren't original. Could this be most of what I am having a problem with here? The ground is bolted to the frame (tight), but it should be going to the engine, right? I have new cables (bigger ones - came with the truck as replacements). Is it as simple as replacing the cables and getting a solid ground? Trying to set up the truck as a daily driver (or at least as a backup vehicle) so reliability is important. Any help appreciated.

Mike
angus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
pgf545

Re: 6 volt slow cranking

I am not real familiar with the original 6 volt system, but you should have some sort of ground going to the engine. I would try that first before getting to far into it. Good Luck.

Bernie
pgf545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Definately check your grounds and connections. The armature of the starter may be rubbing on the windings if the bushings are worn out. that will cause the slow crank. it happens in older starters. You may have to get it rebuilt. If your comfotable enough with taking the starter apart look for spots on the winding plates for wear marks. The armature will also show some grind if the bushings are bad.

if its the bushings one trick to temporarily get it to wind over faster is to remove the bolts that hold on the rear starter cover, spin the cover 180 degrees and bolt it back together. the bushing wears on the bottom.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

There should be a ground strap from the frame to the bell housing above the starter.
Attached Images

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
cdowns

the most common mistake found with 6v systems is using 12v cables witch are smaller gauge and won't carry the amps required to run the starter 6v battery cables are almost twice the diameter of modern 12v cables// also looking and seeing that grounds are in place isn't the same as disconnecting cleaning and establishing a good ground
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote