The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
JRB

Broke Ground On New Shop (Pics)

First order of bisuness when I returned from my trip to Michigan was to start building my new shop. It seems that when you want things to go fast they slow down and when you want them to slow down the speed up. This is the first time I have ever built a stucture and it may be the last so I am trying to do it right the first time.
I want to put a lift in the shop and am thinking about going with a 2 post lift. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand to go with. The heaviest truck I have is my 2004 3/4 ton 4*4 Silverado so I am hoping to get by with a 8000lb rated lift. Also is there any foundation considerations I should be thinking about because of the lift. The shop has 12ft ceilings so I will be able to get a car up in the air. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Attached Images

JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Broke Ground On New Shop (Pics)

i am a tire tech for sams club our 2 post lift has a rating of 9000 pounds and we lift things like duallies and vans with 100 gal water tanks in the back of them the lift gives a little protest but it lifts them our lift are about 8 to 9 years old too. so an 8000 pound should be fine

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Rokcrln

Find the lift you want and then check with them on what they recomend for foundation thickness and rebar size and amount in that area.
But if you are smart (and you are asking now so I assume you are) you will want to do at least two built up footings for the posts. If you have no idea what you are going to use but you are sure it will be a two post and not a four then I wouls find out what the common spread is for the legs (I think around 120"). And at that point I would figure on a 4'x4' section that is 8" thick and add some extra rebar as well. If you were going with wire mat and not bar then for those two ares add 3/8 bar 12"oc (on center) in both directions. You will want the bar to extend out into your main slab by about 12" in each direction and tie it to your mat.

So a simple version is to find where your lift will be and dig two 8" deep holes, spread 6' long by 3/8" bars every 12" both ways and add concrete. This will be fine for any two post lift so just figure what the spread is and go for it. Some will say this is over kill and they are right, when your car/truck is up on it and your kid is under it, it will not fall over and kill you! Good luck and be safe.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Very good advice Rokcrln. Our new shop at work has 15,000 lb Mohawk lifts. Mohawk recommended 8 inch floor thickness minimum. Do as rokcrln suggested and you will be fine. I would rather over do it than not be sure.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
ChevyDude

Congratulations! I wish I had the room to build a LARGE shop!!!
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I am in the process of getting bids on mine right now
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
stevess11

We are currently building a new shop and also putting in a 2 post lift (9000lbs). The manufacture recomended a min. of 4.5 inches with 1/2 rebar on 2 foot centers. We went a little more in that area (8 inches). Also be sure to wait the full 28 day cure time before you drill the holes for anchors.
stevess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
JRB

Thanks for all the info. Is there a certain brand of lift that is better than others. I tend to believe you get what you pay for but I still like a deal if I know the product is proven. I talked with my Cement guy and I am going to have a 10 inch foot going across where the lift will set and also forward and aft of where I am setting the lift post. I am also using both 1/2 in rebar and wire mesh for reinforcement. I wasnt aware that I had to wait 28 days for it to dry but thanks for the heads up. Looks like I will have a standing structure within 2 to 3 weeks so I am getting very excited and my wife is getting crazy due to the cost. Oh Well you only live once. Thanks again for all the info. Now I am designing a foldable wall paint booth. I cant see eating all the space in my shop when I will only be painting once every 2 months.
Later, with more pictures to come.
JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote