The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

Fuel Cell Info Needed

What size do I need? How do they mount and work? What type of sending unit and is it worth it. I would like to move the tank but I am at a complete loss here. Pictures would be appreciated and if the thread goes well we can move this to the how to section. Discuss.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Re: Fuel Cell Info Needed

I'm pretty sure there's a fac article on this install. Several vendors here sell kits. They include sending unit and mounting hardware. We used the plastic tank and I wasn't real thrilled with it. When tightening down the straps one side of the tank half collapsed. It seemed like I barely had the strap tight enuf to hold it up. Also the width of the mounting flange was a little narrow, so the tank was prone to slide off the flange on one side of the frame or the other. We grafted in a fill door from a Blazer before the truck got painted. It was a little tricky figureing where to cut. What made it easy for me was having a spare thrashed bed to cut on. It took about 3 tries on the outer, and 4 on the inner to get it right. Then made measurements and only cut the good bed once. I've got pics of the fill door, but not much on the tank itself.

Edit** Many thanks to boardmember "jose" for finding, cutting out, and shipping the door and fill spout!
Attached Images

1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!

Last edited by al's71gmc; 08-15-2006 at 10:54 PM.
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
Jimbotronics
YA YA

I'm installing an aluminum tank from Fuelcellguy. It's a perfect fit and already has the pickup and sending unit installed. I still have to plumb it - hopefully this weekend. I haven't decided on the fill spout yet- wether to come throught the bed, something like above, or the marker light flipout style.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

Ditto what he said. i think it's an 18 gallon? it came with pump (in-tank) and sending unit. ultra-professional quality tank. very reasonable price. it's not a true "fuel cell" in that it lacks a rubber bladder - more like an aluminum tank.

amost all fuel cells will mount behind the punpkin/gearbox between the framerails. in most cases it is necessary to hack out the factory rear brace and replace it with a new one ($50 for bolt-in from ECE if you go professional)

the basic principle is quite simple - most tanks will come with "wings" - a flange off of either side to bolt it to the framerail. this setup goes under the bed and you will choose whether you want the filler to be in a position to fill from the bottom of the bed or from the side of the bed. you will need to fabricate the filler. depending on your engine, your tank may need to be vented or not vented.

i had my aluminum cell from FCG (fuelcellguy) coated with Line-X bedliner for an additional $60 or so. here are some pictures:

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/thu...album=9&page=9

There are tons of other pictures in my gallery as well. i have lost all momentum with my project and it's just sitting in my garage for now, though.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote