The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
eville

What's it worth?

Hello everyone.
I've been looking for a 71-72 suburban for a while now.
I found this 1972 and am trying to figure what I should offer. I looked at it and didn't have my camera, but it looks to have a bit of rust in the fenders and quarters. Rockers look ok. An inspection of the underside showed the worst part being the bodymount/support under the drivers side front. Otherwise things looked ok. The pans seemed solid from the underside.
The guy is asking $4,500. I appreciate any and all opinions.

Steve

Last edited by eville; 08-16-2006 at 06:19 PM.
eville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
MrGoodpliers

Re: What's it worth?

Around here, you can't find burbs- and the ones you do find are usually very rusty. In that light, 4500 seems pretty good for that truck. BUT, you're in California, where they are more plentiful, less rusty and generally a bit cheaper than everywhere else. IMO, $4500 might be a little high in your market. So, I guess it comes down to whether or not you want your search to be over and the wrenchin to begin.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
eville

any thoughts on whether a GMC is worth more or less than a Chev? I sure to like the Chevy grill more...
Old 08-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
MrGoodpliers

That's always been a good source of debate. Personally, I really like the 69-70 GMC grille, and I swapped one out on my '72 GMC burb. The Chevy may be worth a bit more because they are more popular, but I don't think it makes too much difference. You could easily make a '68 Chevy out of that burb with the hood, grille, bumper and core support. And it would look like it had been upgraded with 5- lugs and disc brakes. That looks like a really good candidate to make an offer on, maybe $3500-3800? Who knows what he might say? Here's a pic of my '72, it came from San Diego.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
70rs/ss

It's nice, but rust is a tricky deal. If you just plan to drive it and not hassle with it, but when you tear into it, the rust will seam to have multiplied and spread into places you didn't see before. As for the 4500, it is way on the high side, offer $3000 and walk if he says no. Even if you do the repairs yourself you'll understand the cost of rust repair. In Cali you should be able to find a rust free or near rust free Burb.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
eville

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. The guy is down to $4k through email. I think my cut off is $3,200. I think he wants more.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
70rs/ss

I just took another look, grey exterior, green interior, brown seats? Well, I can say I'd go $2k and walk away laughing. That is no where near the $4k neighborhood, just start watching the for sale board here or Craigslist, or my favorite, just look while you drive, I have found some killer deals on stuff sitting. Don't get discouraged at the NO, I am going to fix it up one day comments, for 5 of those you'll get a yeah, I want to sell it!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 08-18-2006 at 01:43 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote