The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

Cherrybomb

Well, an inline 6 is not a very muscular motor in terms of speed. A good work horse adn the longetivity is outstanding for an American motor. But I wanted better sound. IT had a 40 inch glasspack that looked older than the truck. And the glass was definetly gone. So I had a low tone that was still semi loud but hollow and dead sounding al the same.

I went down to the auto parts store and bought myself their cehapest 20 dollar cherrybomb glasspack (since I'll be ditching this motor and exhaust within the next year anyway).

The glassback is a nice red color and half the size of the old one, which I was hoping would make it a lot louder. I also used straight pipe to compensate for the other half of the old 40in glasspack.

Before dad and I welded on the new muffler, I just HAD to hear the 6 cyl run with just straight pipe. IT was SO cool! It osunded like a beefed up big block! It was great, I revved it up and it was so awesome. But the flaming homo next door has a bug up her ass and the piggly wigglies on speed dial, so it would not be wise to stay with "damn near" open headers.

Anyway, dad and I are amateur welders so many of you would probably laugh at our welding. IT is ugly as can be but the seams are sealed up nice and tight

Anyway, back on the cocnern of sound. The results? It isn't any louder than it already was. Somewhat of a bummer, however... The low holow sound is still there but accompanied by a raspy, muscular, healthy sound that actually makes it sound and run pretty good. I'm a bit disappointed at the loss of volume after hearing open headers (or manifold I should say ) but for $34.50 it was worth it. It still soudns better than before and looks pretty too.

Anyway, questions or comments welcomed. I check back regularly on all my posts

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
MotorSeven
Restoration Desperation

Re: Cherrybomb

Ahhh, cherrybombs....brings back memorys. Even in '74 they were the # choice for cheap cool sound. I remember helping a bud put one on his 72 Charger w/318. I remember they sounded better over time as the packing got flattened out. I wonder how many of these have been sold....since the 60's?
RD
MotorSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

i have 26in glasspacks on my truck they were on when i bought it and supossed to be only a couple weeks old i think they sound awesome i love the sound of it when i rev it up and set of a few car alarms and sounds even better in the parking garage and its true dual exhaust with the center dump manifolds but i plan for headers and 2 single chamber flowmasters with 3in pipe but anyway nice looking job welds are that bad youll get better over time i did

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
shelby987

What are the plans for this drivetrain? You mentioned you will have a new one in a year, going with a new 6 or switching over to a V8?

How did your 2bbl holley swap work out for you?
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Premium72

get it hot, put the water hose in it. let it break up the fiber glass then start it up blwo all the glass out and water youll be happy..
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote