The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
Free88

Steering Column Swap

Has anyone changed a straight column to a tilt column on an 81 Chevy pickup. The column is out of an 87 with the dimmer and wiper switches on the left side of the column, controlled by one lever. Getting the dimmer hooked up is no problem. The problem is in the wiper switch. What wires are used to hook up the motor? The wiper motor on the 81 is different than the 87. If I use the motor from the 87 on the 81 the pump hooks up differently and I am not sure of how to hook up the wires from the wiper switch from the dash to the new column switch. removing the switch from the dash of the 81. Is there a post or some kind chevy person that can help? Thanks.
1990 Chevy Silverado K1500 Extended long box
Free88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Steering Column Swap

The circuits should hook right up. The switch is in a different place, but the principal is the same. The only thing tha tyou would have to look into, is the switch on the 87 column--does it have a intermittent wiper indication? I am guessing that the wiper motor inyour truck is not inetermittent, if it is on the dash. If so, then you should change out the switch to match your wiper motor. The wiper switch is a little bit of a trick to remove, but it can be done, especially if the column is still on the bench. I have done it ther and in a truck.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Free88

IS there an adapter plug that will go from the dash mounted switch to the column mount. The steering column has an intermittent switch and the other does not. We have the motor and all for the swap. There is a black box on the steering column that the wiper switch hooks into. I believe this to be the delay wiper control. The other end nas a plug that hooks up to the fuse block. I have cut the wires to the fuse block, leaving enough wire to rejoin woth another hook up later. Th eonly problem now is to get the wipers from the dash to the column. Thanks for the help. Any other ideas. All is appreciated.
1990 Chevy Silverado K1500 Extended long box
Free88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
wildmanaaron

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Does anybody else have any information on this swap?
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
HotRod73

i have a NICE steering column ide like to get rid of email me or pm me if interested from a 80s model complete with steering wheel and keys ill take $35 its tight too
HotRod73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
beaterC10

The black box on the column is the wiper delay. The only differences between delay and non-delay wipers for a given year are the wiper switch and the wiper delay box.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote