The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Lil Chevy Rider

Airbaggin

Hey guys, I was looking around for some air bags to put on my 70' Chevy C/20 pickup and only found bags for 1/2 trucks. Would these bags work for it or not? Also I don't know a whole lot about the whole air bag setup and where they locate to and what else nneds to be put in and done for them to work. I think the bags replace the coils but I am not sure. And also my rear end has coils and leafs, but im not planning on using my truck for hauling or towing so I figure I could just take one of them out. Well anyway... if anyone could educate me on the whole airbag setup that would be great and thanks for any advice.
Lil Chevy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Airbaggin

There are a lot of bag talks in the suspension forum. I have never heard of a coil AND leaf rear, I didn't know that was even possible.

I would think the 1/2 ton kit would be the same as a 3/4 ton. The key is the rear end. If you have trailing arms with coils, you just replace the coils with bags (well, there is a lot involed, but that's the basic concept). If it has leafs, then you have a lot of options, but also a lot more work.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I moved this to the suspension forum so you might get a better response. Take a look at www.ridetech.com and www.*****************. Air Ride Technologies has top quality products with tons of applications. Their quality is the best on the market. They aren't cheap, but they are good.

Suicide Doors has the budget builder in mind. They have lots of stuff for the do-it-yourselfer. Those are the two best companies that I know of to deal with.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
tom71
what happened to flint mi

the coil leaf set up is supposed to be heavy duty , just get rid of the leaf part and its the same as a coil truck
56 gmc 2wd project waitng
97 fiance mobile

Last edited by tom71; 09-07-2006 at 11:10 PM. Reason: mis spell
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Tony@AirRideTech

As far as it being a 3/4 ton... the only difference in the front is the ball joints, control arms bushings and the spindles and brakes. If it were me.... ...... I would take the 3/4 ton spindles, send em to the scrap yeard and conrt it over to the 1/2 drop spindles and disc brakes. That way you can get a sexier five lug wheel. In the rear, all you need to do is get you a 1/2 ton rear end to convert it to a five lugger. Also out back, the sky is the limit...I think you mentioned above that it has leafs... does it also have a trailing arm w/ a coil spring? I am a little confused there.......
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote