The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
qksilver

R&R inner cowl panel

I have stripped a 67 cab down to just metal. I need to replace the out rockers, no bug deal.
What concerns me is that both corners are rusted on the top part of the curve under where the fenders attach plus the both outer edges toward the doors about half way down.
Has anybody ever drilled out all the spot welds holding the inner cowl panel, cleaned under it, repaired it then spot welded it back.
The rest of the cab is so clean and this is a keeper, so i want to clean all the dirt etc out, strip and repaint/seal that area, fix the rust and reweld.
thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: R&R inner cowl panel

Are you talking about the area where the kick panel vents are? If you could get some pics I think we will be able to help more.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
qksilver

No, I quess I am calling it by the wrong name. It is the panel outside of the cab that the wiper arms mount to, the part where the panel that goes between the hood and winsheild mounts. I won't be back at my shop till next week end.
It is the horizontal piece that covers between the firewall and the windshield, that collects all the leaves and pine needles under it, like an upside down U.
i was looking at it yesterday and it is held in by a bunch of spot welds, the front part of it is where the under hood wiring channel is that crosses from the fuse panel to the passenger side the other part is spot welded under the windsheild across from side to side.
I was think of drilling all the spot welds, pulling the panel, cleaning all the trash out, then walnut or soda blast, epoxy prime, caulk all the seams then, then paint body color.
I know it sounds like a lot of work but this is one of the best 67 cabs I have seen, and I have gone over it completely and only found outer rocker dents and pinholes plus slight rust thru on that panel on the vertical part above the heater box and fuse panel on the engine side.
I want to keep this truck and only do it once because of it's rarity.
The cab came with buddy buckets from the factory so it has all the stuff on the floor low hump 2 wheel drive. I am swapping in onto my 67 swb 4 wheel drive that I am restoriing factory with a couple of factory upgrades, the buddy buckets, P/B and A/C.
The only non factory upgrade or option not available that year will be P/S.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
Aarons72s

Yes I am pretty sure you will have no problems doing what you want. I dont think it will cause any structural problems. I am surprissed no one else has jumped in yet. I would go look at my cab but I just mocked up all the sheet metal. But I will try to look for you. Any body else have some suggestions for qksilver?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:43 AM   #5
Green Machine

If is where I am thinking, you may be able to work from the inside and cut that area out, there are seams in there that like to rust. Cover the outside with some good self leveling sealer and it should hold for the next 20 years or so. But if you want to do it right...........
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
qksilver

I have lots of time, a little money so.........I was worried about having to brace up the cab etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Aarons72s

I went and looked at my cab and I really don't think you will have to brace it. So I will say go for it. I hope this helps. Good luck!