The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
High Speed low Drag

1st post on shop project

Hello all - I did an intro the other day. Meant to do this post the same day but spent the rest of my available time checking out this site. Cool! Just set up a Photobucket account and upload some pictures but I'm not quite confident that I have them re-sized properly yet so I'm still working on that.

Anyway, one of our customers brought in his old rusty 1970 Chevy LWB for a resto/mod makeover. What he wants, as I understand it, is first and foremost a driver. Something that he can hop into and go without any worrying. No problem there as mechanical is my shops strongest area. Furthermore he has specifically asked for all of the body work to be done, paint (we will sub that out), interior, and possibley a new drivetrain.

What we have been given to start with wasn't too bad. 1970 LWB. Red/white, 307 three on the tree, no power steering, no power brakes. Needs lots of new sheet metal.

We took the front clip and bed off. Rear of frame is really thin and rusted badly. Needs complete bed. The motor, although a 307, runs extemely smooth. You can hardly hear it run. Floors, rockers, cab corners all shot - you know, the usual stuff.

Got a line on a 71 LWB with auto, power steering, and power brakes. Looked at it and the frame was in much better shape. Bought it for 300. We'll be using the front windshield, gas tank, power booster & brackets, ps box & pump, pedals, steering column, and some other small items.

The 71 frame goes to the blaster tomorrow. Goodmark floors, rockers, etc hopefully come in tomorrow as well.

Questions for the board:

1- Our plan is a 2 1/2 drop in the front and 4 in the back. The 71 already has disk brakes so we just need spindles. We'll also do ball joints at the same time. Should we order new control arm shafts? We are going to pull everything out and clean it up but if they are known to wear, I'd like to get the shafts ordered ASAP. Thoughts?

2- On the back end, we don't really have any usable part off either bed. They are both totally rusted out. Short of a new front, new sides, and a wood kit, what are some ideas? Anyone bought sides and made a floor? Our customer is a contractor so it would be nice to incorporate something "hand built" back there, if that makes any sense. I'm really searching for a "theme" I guess. The bed seems like the logical place to start since we can't use any of what we have.

3- What is the quality of the front fenders and inner fenders that are available? Brands that fit better than others? Time is money here.

4- Is there anybody running a 307 who doesn't wish they had at least a 350? I'm of the opinion that the motor in the truck runs good - why buy another? Everyone else in the shop wants to drop in a 350 crate motor. I'm OK with that but usually the remaining budget after body/paint will determine that and sometimes the money isn't always there at the end.

FWIW - we are thinking about HOK tangerine orange with a pearl white top.

Thanks for any suggestions and I'll try to learn how to post photos as this progresses.

Mark

Last edited by High Speed low Drag; 09-05-2006 at 08:39 PM.
High Speed low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

Re: 1st post on shop project

sounds like a good project, any thoughts on a flat bed, pics please....and welcome from Egypt

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote