The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
abadsvt

Building your own chassis.....

Today my father and i took a 4 hr trip to Sacramento to watch my friend graduate from the CHP. Anyways we started talking about what i would like to do and accomplish with my truck. After a long conversation my father says "Why not just build your own chassis". That got me thinking. Could we do it. I do not have alot of experience with frames and suspension but my father has done some chassis building and tons of work with classic cars. My dad built 2 quater mile dragster chassis himself and is a certified welder with all the necessary tools to make one. On the other hand all of his chassis that he built are little different than one for my truck. My question is does it take a rocket scientist to build a custom frame? I am very tempted to tell him "Lets do it" but want to make sure i know what i am getting myself into. I am not really worried about spending money to build it but just being able to forsee everything that needs to be addresed ahead of time. If that makes sence. Does anyone have any comments or tips that i should know ahead of time. Also if anyone has some pics of some custom made chassis that would be great.

ps. I am aware that i will have to build a frame table. Also it will be for a 1970 c10 swb

Thanks ahead of time
Josh

Last edited by abadsvt; 09-09-2006 at 02:58 AM.
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Building your own chassis.....

Are you all gonna build it stock? or set-up for air so it can be slammed easy?
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
57sailplane

i am not a chassis builder but i did weld in my first atempt roll cage. the cage turned out great but i didnt have a good enough welder or equipment so it had to be cut back out. my problem in welding it was the spot above the head on the main hoop man i had my mig hose bent to tight to get in there and i did not understand the rules as far as width of weld so after 3 passes i had it all messed up. i had a pro do it the secound time. my cage was a lot better fit than the one he made. probalbly cause i did it for the love of my truck and he did it for the money.. I am slaming mine to the ground with rear coil overs going to have to cut the frame for rear axil clearance. up front i am going to build a mustang II crossmember from scratch i have read and talked to people on the bord and done my own research.. using after market a frames i am going to build it making the shafts parallel with one another looking straight down on the suspension.. the other critical area is the bump steer. placement of the rack is critical it must have the nuckels or the point of bend with the outer tye rods placed in line with the uper and lower aframe a axcess point. last but not least is the amount of tilt on the uper a frame you put into it. factory is 3 degrees but alot of aftermarket companies put none or little in at all. from the engineering books i have read you will have less stability problems at zero tilt.. i got a lot of geometry info from heidts. it explains the bump steer more clearly. now after all that said i wish i would of built a tube frame cause that would be just as easy.. you can weld it out in the open no real tight spots... plus you can slam it as low as you want cause you are determining were the suspension is to be put in.. you can build a much lighter truck this way for racing. since your dad is a certified welder it should be easy.. remeber metal is maluble if it won't fit cut it out and start again..
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
tom71
what happened to flint mi

go for it build that chassis i would have if i had the space for a table , did you see the new classic trucks mag? jim meyer has a custom chassis for our trucks in there it looks nice .
56 gmc 2wd project waitng
97 fiance mobile
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
abadsvt

This was what i was hoping to here. People sounding positive that one could do it if he does his homework first. Thanks alot. I think i might check out that "New Classic Truck Mag" to see that chassis.

Now this is what i am thinking. I haven't removed my frame from my truck so i will know alot more once i get a chance to disassemble. I was thinking about using the stock frame for all the measurements but modify the rear section so it will sit on the ground. I have another question. For those who have built or wish they would have built a frame, is there anything you wish you would have done different or changed? Thanks for the help everyone and i will DEFINATELY keep everyone posted with pics of the progress.

Thanks Josh
Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
watahyahknow

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/framespecs.html
think this will help you some , theres a lot more info on there on other things too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
jimmydean

I was just looking at the chassis in the mag and it has a lot of nice features. Not sure why it bugs me, but it does to see the Ford 9 in there. I understand they are cheap and sturdy, but why not use a GM rear?
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
abadsvt

My dad and I were just having this conversation last night about ford 9" rear end, Chrylser 8 3/4" rear end and Chevy 12 bolt. I forgot why but he ended up saying that the ford and chrysler are more solid and stronger than the chevy one. The chevy one works but to change the gears you have to work on the rear end in place where the fords and chrysler you can remove the housing and work on it on top of a work bench. Something like that. I am sure someone will chime in. I am going to go buy that mag right know. Thanks Josh
Old 09-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would think a better frame could be built if you do your homework.You could use square tubing and build it to stock specs or you could use ladder style rails.I would suggest getting a book on suspension before starting so you have a guide on what things are important to consider during the design of the frame.Also, remeber your Dad built dragster chassis,which have to be strong but do not have to handle well.The same principles will apply but need to be adressed differently.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

ABADSVT,

I think I will keep your father in mind if I ever build a pro mod 63 nova.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
abadsvt

Sounds good Jugernot!! My used to be pretty big in the quatermile dragster world. Some of the people that he knew and worked with were among the best in the world. Have any of you ever heard of HOGANS MANIFOLDS? http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/ . My dad helped him design and build most of the stuff he still sells today. They used to be really good friends. I don't remember much about him racing cause i was too young to remember much but man do i love racing! Its wierd cause just the smell of the cars running alcohol gives me chills. Anyways sorry for braggin about my dad. I will keep you all posted when i get ready. Thanks Josh