The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Greubin

GM Goodwrench SB engines are craptastical

I have about 1500 mi on mine, it started burning oil about 300 mi ago. I dropped it off at the chevy dealer along with my warranty paperwork and they initially quoted me a $2000 estimate, ya right, that's more than I paid for the POS to begin with. Anyway, their prognosis was that a few of the intake bolts had backed off which was allowing oil / water to enter the combustion chamber thereby causing the tailpipe smoke. They then quoted me $500 to fix the intake to which I said thanks but no thanks. I fixed the intake myself, knowing that wouldn't fix the oil burning problem. Sure enough, after I got the intake job finished the engine still burns oil.

Today, I pulled the rocker covers and removed the drivers side valve springs and found all but a few of the valve stem seals are damaged. Another user on this board had the same problem and it turned out that the valve guides were not machined to the correct height.

See attached pic, I'm going to show this to the dealer and see what they have to say. Wish me luck...
Attached Images

Greubin
'71 C20 custom - GM Crate 350CI/290HP, BTO 700R4 level II, Qjet, and HEI
Greubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Stroker

Re: GM Goodwrench SB engines are craptastical

I've never been impressed with GMs crates. They are assembly line products built for GM by the cheapest bidder. The one my brother-n-law had dropped one of the rod caps within 30 seconds of firing it up. He had the engine installed by a second party and all GM would do is provide him with a new engine. Cost him another $600 to R&R again.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i always laugh when ppl rave about 'build quality' and the warranty they put on these engines.
Crate motors are OK, but factory remans are a joke. (BFG remans)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Greubin

Never again!!

Greubin
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
LeftEar55

Has anyone ever bought from Jasper or Grooms engines? I heard Jasper wasn't worth a damn, but I've been thinking about buying from Grooms next year, if I can afford it? People around here are insane in papers, trying to sell engines. Just an example, I saw a 427 in the paper a few weeks back and it said "blah blah blah, engine will run, but removed from vehicle blah blah blah $2500!!!" It's getting where ya can't trust anyone on anything anymore...
LeftEar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

I just bought a Jasper. It will be delivered Wednesday. I will give you an update when it is smoothly running.

350 2 bolt main, run for testing, 1599, plus 360 core delivered to my mechanic. They will also pick up the core at no charge.

I also bought their parts kit, water pump and all the tune up parts and gaskets.

Groom's says they have the lowest return. How do they know that...Doi you think they called Jasper, ATK and Recon and asked them what theirs was...and they told them? Phooey. That is pure marketing lies. That turns me off immediately.

I am in business and I see when people lie and if they will do that they will screw me too.

Jasper has some cool videos. As long as they control the process...it does not matter too much who does the actual work (IQ and all).

Tim

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Tim Christian

I have a ZZ-4 and IMO it is GREAT and would buy it again!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

We quit buying Jasper engines because we got tired of replacing them. We now use OE crate motors and have had very few problems. Yours is obviously not right. Don't take no for an answer, and go up the line until they make it right.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

It is funny the different opinions and experiences ones gets.

I have had no less than 7 people tell me to go with Jasper.

I went with it...I hope I did not make a mistake.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftEar55 View Post
Has anyone ever bought from Jasper or Grooms engines? I heard Jasper wasn't worth a damn, but I've been thinking about buying from Grooms next year, if I can afford it? People around here are insane in papers, trying to sell engines. Just an example, I saw a 427 in the paper a few weeks back and it said "blah blah blah, engine will run, but removed from vehicle blah blah blah $2500!!!" It's getting where ya can't trust anyone on anything anymore...
A BUDDY OF MINE IS AN OVER THE ROAD DRIVER. DELIVERING TRAVEL TRAILORS & FIFTH WHEELS. HE PUTS OVER 150000 MILES ON A YEAR. HE HAS A DODGE 1 TON DUALLY & TWO SUMMERS AGO WE PUT A JASPER TRANS (AUTOMATIC) IN HIS TRUCK. JASPER HAS REPLACED IT TWICE SO FAR. HE TOOK IT RIGHT TO THERE SHOP IN JASPER INDIANA & THEY MADE NO BONES ABOUT REPLACING IT, LABOR & ALL & IT DIDN'T COST HIM A CENT EVEN THOUGH HE USES IT AS A COMMERCIAL VEHICAL. I WAS WITH HIM THE LAST TIME & I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I WOULDN'T BE AFRAID TO TRY ONE OF THEIR ENGINES OR TRANNYS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
Greubin

Quote:
Originally Posted by centsless View Post
We quit buying Jasper engines because we got tired of replacing them. We now use OE crate motors and have had very few problems. Yours is obviously not right. Don't take no for an answer, and go up the line until they make it right.
Yup, I'm pretty fired up and prepared to file with small claims court if need be. I'll post more soon..

Greubin
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
WLPTMP

thats why ac\delco doesnt do engines any more
WLPTMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

we stopped using jasper too, there quality control went in the crapper. The last one we did was a 318 dodge, fired it up, it didn't even make it to the parkign lot when it locked up. They replaced it ASAP, and it came back 2 weeks later knocking. I don't think the priest was pushing it hard, but I could be wrong.
We mostly use factory crate (new, not rebuilt) engines, or from a small local shop.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #14
71Rat
ran out of money

i had a jasper rear in my tahoe, the axle bearings went on it within 6 months, i put a jaspser rear in a dakota at work, came back in a week with the ring and pinion chewing eachother apart. and the best i have come across from jasper is a reman 350 that i installed at work fired up low oil pressure after about 30 sec.s of running NO oil pressure, shut it down checked everything to make sure no leaks, pulled it out and before jasper got it checked the rod and crank mains... yup crank was turned 10 under with std bearings. our shop put in a gm crate in a van and have yet to have any problems with it, just taught the owner not to go 42,000 miles on an oil change...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #15
QKENUF4U

man thats a bummer. ive had two of these crate 260hp 350's in the last 2 years and never had a problem with either one. hope it all works out for ya.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #16
wibilly

i have a gm 290 horse crate engine in my vette was put in years ago 2 owners ago and i don't know how many miles or quarter miles ago and it runs great no smoke no noise and turns well over redline often i personaly beat it for 6000 or better
Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #17
jimmydean

That sucks dude. I have heard nothing but good things about the crates that the dealer here sells. I think they are $1200?

There is a shop just outside of town called Oregon Engine Rebuilders (In Sandy) that offers a lifetime warrenty on rebuilds. The 350 is $980 and as long as it's for street use, he will cover it.

I have had friends who have gotten motors from him without issue. He sells on ebay too from what I've been told.

He built a Ford 460 with RV cam for one of my friends and he has had it for over 10 years. About 7 years ago, the timing chain came loose, so he took it in and the guy went through and rebuilt the whole thing free of charge. Had it done in 4 days.

<edit>
http://stores.ebay.com/Oregon-Engine-Rebuilders-Inc

Looks like Toyota motors right now (that are the sweetest around too), but the contact info is there.

Last edited by jimmydean; 09-11-2006 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added link.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #18
Dean

I've had three bad ZZ4s. They finally stood behind one of them, I fixed the 2nd one and the third one is still sitting on the stand in my shop. I hope this 572 I just bought is better but I don't have much faith.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
junkyardjohn

I'M NOT STICKING UP FOR THE DEALER, SO DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY OR GET DEFENSIVE. DO YOU THINK IS IT POSSIBLE THE DRIVING AROUND FOR 1500 MILES WITH YOUR INTAKE BOLTS LOOSE TO THE POINT OF WATER ENTERING YOUR COMBUSTION CHAMBERS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR DESTROYED VALVE SEALS??. WHAT WAS THE LENGTH OF TIME???.IT'S EASY ENOUGH TO CHECK THE HEIDTH OF THE VALVE GUIDES & SEE IF THEY ARE CORRECT. IN MY 35 YEARS OF WORKING ON 350s I'VE NEVER HAD OR EVEN HEARD OF INTAKE BOLTS BACKING OFF & BECOMING LOOSE ON A PROPERLY TORQUED & INSTALLED INTAKE MANIFOLD, EITHER CAST IRON OR ALUMINUM. JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE GONE WRONG. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #20
68Stepbed

I have the 260 hp engine in my 68 with no issues. My dad has a Jasper RV350 in his ElCamino and hasn't had any problems. He must've got lucky.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #21
Greubin

I had my truck towed to the dealer this morning. The service writer agreed with me that there was definitely something wrong with the cylinder head valve guides. But alas, GM shot me down, as well as the general manager and area representative. I plead my case in every detail, but all they would say "was sorry charlie, you removed the valve cover and rocker arms..warranty is void!! " I called GM customer care, they're weren't much help either - basically if you buy a GM crate engine and install it yourself ( 3rd party ) the warranty is useless.

I called Summit Racing from whom I purchased the engine. They were much more helpful and understanding, and also stated that they've have had several complaints regarding the GM parts they have sold to customers. Anyway - Summit Racing gave me contact info for they're engine builder..yup, the engine parts are made in Mehico, but they're built here..go figure. It sounds like GM sells the engine parts to a 3rd party "GM certified" shop ( whatever that means ), and they in turn build and sell the engines to Summit Racing, Jegs, etc. Pretty f-ing sad if you ask me.
For what it's worth, I'm going to file a small claim with the local courthouse - I'm not going to roll over that easily.

I'll never buy another GM crate engine again...NEVER or for that matter a new GM vehicle.

Hey GM, this ones for you

Greubin
Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #22
68Stepbed

Man, that sucks.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #23
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

The only thing harder to get a company to stand behind than a warranty is a rebate.

I wouldn't take your experiance as a comment on the quality of all GM crate engines, but I would absolutely take the piss-poor customer service to heart.

I had to replace the motor in the ex's [censored] wagon a few years ago. The Jasper engine we got was even crappier than the original engine [censored] put in the car. It lasted about 1800 miles and did the same thing as the original -- dropped a valve and ate a piston.

The upside is that Jasper never even blinked about the replacement and even split the dealer install cost with me (after I bled on the phone about having two samll kids, a mortgage, yada yada...)

I don't know if they would have been as accomodating if I had installed the motor myself though (not that the installation had bupkis to do with a bad valve keeper.)

GM has always been a bioch about standing behind their stuff (the new 100k warranty just means you have 70,000 more miles for them to find a BS excuse to invalidate you.) I have found dealers, who live and die on reputation, to be more accomodating, but more so with work in their shop (where they can flim flam it into a warranty repair) than with parts.

Now I'm going off on a tangent -- I wonder if their is a "minimum install" that you could get a dealer to do to preserve the warranty, like just have them drop it in place for you to tow home and finish?
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I'm the other member that had the same problem with a 290 HP crate from Chevy HP. My dealer pulled the old manifold leaking trick too. I let THEM put on a NEW manifold so it would be on them when it didn’t fix the problem. I stayed on them and when they finally removed the heads and found the guide and seal problem they refunded ALL my $$ for the manifold R&R. You have to stay on their a$$

Be ready for them to say YOU ruined the seals taking the springs off, I know you didnt I'm just sayin be ready for them.

All my springs were bad also. I was lucky and knew the shop that the dealer had do the head work so I ended up with a nice set of heads.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca

Last edited by 1970 CST Short Wide; 09-13-2006 at 10:03 AM.
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #25
Greubin

All is not lost, I spoke to the engine builder this morning. Turns out it's a chevy dealer as well. They took all my information and are going to call my dealer this morning. I hate to get my hopes up, but it sounded encouraging. Stay tuned...

Greubin