The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
David Johnson

LT1 in a shoebox? Need info

Does anyone have any info on putting an LT1 into one of these trucks? It's actually a 1990 blazer, but I thought I might get better response here. I would love to see pics or maybe a link to a how-to thread. Thanks.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: LT1 in a shebox? Need info

To put the LT-1 into a shoebox, like yours, you will have to update the intank fuel pump for the TPI. That is if you happen to have one in the tank for a TBI unit. If you have an engine mounted fuel pump, then you need to evaluate what you want to do (inline or fuel tank) The tank install works better for TPI systems. There are books for these installs and I would read everything that I could first. The LT-1 (I imagine that you are scavenging one from another Camaro, Firebird, or Impala) has the distributor in the front, so you have more room at the firewall. The headers will need to be designed to fit the truck, Look at a conversion kit. Now for the expensive part---Computer....reprogram the one that comes with it or get another computer and wiring harness to fit your application (Street and Performance, Howell Engineering, or Painless Wiring....Etc) The factory wiring will have many things in it that will need to be bypassed or removed (anit-theft key circuitry for example) Talk to the different companies for advice. FINALLY--get everything that you can from the donor vehicle, wiring, motor, tranny, throttle cables, cruise cables, air intake items, pulleys, flexplate, bolts, brackets, and the like.

I haven't put an LT-1 into a truck, but I am working on putting a L-98 TPI into my 91 Silverado, to replace the TBI motor that is there. It is not cheap....
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
1987 Shortwide

Re: LT1 in a shebox? Need info

It's really not too bad. Great part is it's still a sbc so it'll bolt in. I cut the portion of an F-body tank out that held the stock sending unit, then had it welded to the top of my stock tank, it worked perfect and maintained the stock tank. I used the Painless wiring harness to wire it all up, and it was a pretty flawless swap. This was on my 1979 malibu wagon.

My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote