The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Jefe

Question cooling problem

here's the problem...got a small block that is running hot I just built it myself...have a brand new 4 core radiator, 160 T-stat, new water pump, new hoses, new fan shroud. Anybody have any ideas on how to keep it cool? If I do go with an electric fan, should I take off the stock fan?? or should I run a pusher or puller? single or dual?? any idea would help...oh I am gonna run a tranny cooler eventually. Thanks guys!
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:10 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

when is it over heating...in city traffic, or freeway. and what temp are you calling over heating?
If you are going by your stock guage or light, start with a new guage...even a cheap parts store unit will work.
Do you have a clutch fan, and if so, is it working properly?
Sounds like you have most everything covered.
You don't have the timning advanced real far do you?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
Jefe

k

Running hot in general...230 degrees, haven't driven it in traffic yet, have a flex fan, new guage not stock (mechanical not electric) timing is stock timing for now. btw its NOT overheating...just running hot. Thanks again!!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:18 AM   #4
chevy71super

Longhorn is correct, check the guage and check the sending unit. After I rebuilt my truck the stock guage would peg hot after about 5 minutes. I tried a couple of different things but the guage always read hot yet it never boiled over. I put the old sending unit (in the thermostat housing) back in and the temperature was right where it needed to be.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Well...230 is getting a bit warm...I don't like seeing anything over 215, and when i run my 160 thermostat, i get uncomefortablew at 180.
I would take that flax fan and break the blades off and bury it. Those things are as dangerouse as the old split ring rims. THe blades come off and slice through the hood and anyone in the way. I've seen one slice through a camaro hood and the hood frame like it was a hot knife through soft butter.
Grab a good clutch and a 5 blade fixed blade fan. Junk yard would only charge you about 25 bucks...and that's if they are at bastard prices. I'd replace any junk yard clutch though.
That's where I'd start.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Jefe

Sounds good.

I'll try the clutch fan...not opposed to trying anything new...brand new gauge..and it is mechanical so there is no sending unit. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:46 AM   #7
Mudder

Try

a hotter thermostat. like a 180 or 185. A 160 may be staying open so long that the water in the radiator doesnt have time to cool. Just a thought.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 02:00 AM   #8
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

How much time on the new engine? Any new and tight engine will run hot, especially during the cam break-in procedure. Find somewhere you can drive in the 50 mph range and see what it does. Also, get the engine hot with the radiator cap off so you can stick a thermometer in the radiator. I use a thermometer out of the kitchen, just be sure it gets washed real good before it goes back in the drawer.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:02 AM   #9
6869704X4

Where did you get the water pump? Is it a good one? Back in 99 after 30 years of faithfull service my 69 Camaro pump died. This was the original water pump. Got one from Discount(which I call no-count) and my car ran 20-25 degrees hotter. And they wouldnt take it back. I screwed up and was honest about it not really over heating just running hotter.