The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
sleepyboy
'69 Step

Where to put door solenoids?

I bought a door solenoid kit and was wondering the best place to mount the solenoids without having window clearance problems. I plan on keeping the inside door handle and replacing the windows with brothers one peice power glass also. I am assuming the solenoids go mid-door before the door handle mechanism or is it better at the rear base of the door??

Last edited by sleepyboy; 09-11-2006 at 05:13 PM.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Where to put door solenoids?

I am interested in this answer also. As next month I will be doing some similar.
What kind of system did you get, from where & 45 lb stainless plungers or can we get by with 35 lb??

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Rydn2L0w

I assume you are talking about a shaved door kit? In my s10 I mounted them directly below the latch. bottom rear of the door. You connect it directly to the latch.
Rydn2L0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
nandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
I bought a door solenoid kit and was wondering the best place to mount the solenoids without having window clearance problems. I plan on keeping the inside door handle and replacing the windows with brothers one peice power glass also. I am assuming the solenoids go mid-door before the door handle mechanism or is it better at the rear base of the door??
It probably depends on what type of solenoids your kit uses. Are you using them as actuators for the door latches or is it a power door lock kit? If it is a door lock kit, such as Electric-Life's the solenoid can be mounted just inside the edge of the main access opening. For door latch solenoids, you might need to make a brace of some sort, but I would imagine that the solenoid could also work well somewhere in the vicinity of the access hole as well. All of the rods are very accessible near that access hole, and the one piece kit doesn't actually take up much more room in there than stock. And really, there is quite a bit of room to work with in there. Aside from the one piece window kit (which can be trying at times), this will probably be one of your easier mods.

Recommendations: fit everything before painting, be prepared to drill holes, and expect to be patient contorting your wrist in ways you never thought possible!! Also, plan for wires before painting!!!

Good luck!
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote