The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2002, 04:01 AM   #1
wizard69

is it realy worth it?

Hello I am looking at buying a 67 Gmc 1/2 ton and I was wondering if this sounds like a good truck to restore or should I let it go?it is a long box,350,four on the floor hurst.it has a little rust around the bottom of the cab and the bottom of the door has a hole rusted right through it at the bottom. it seems like a bit of a fixer upper.most of the rust is surface.on thing that bothered me was the windsheild whipers go realy slow and the lights are dim.the guy that ovnes it say's that he got an altanator with a regulator so it messes with the external regulator.he said I could eather remove the external of get a alt.without one.is this a posibility of is this guy trying it pull something?I know this truck would be a lot of work but I would like to drive it.does anyone have any pics of this year and model fixed up?one more thing.is this a very good truck in general?
thanx for any help and sorry if I broke some rules or anything but I am new to this board and kind of confused.
wizard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:06 AM   #2
Super Chevy

Sounds good, Most of these trucks youll find are rusted out and are fun to fix up in my opinion. I dont think he's joshing you on the alternater, they make an internal alernater then they make an external, these trucks were designed for external,and if someone stick an internal ,im sure its going to cut down the voltage. Hows it run? and By The Way welcome to the board from northern Ohio...
Super Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:17 AM   #3
wizard69

thanx for the warm welcome.it runs ok i guess it has 100000 miles on a rebuilt motor and the guy said one of the plugs was fouled so one of the rings might be going.I am so pumped about getting this truck and seeing how nice I could make it.the rear window is a lot different than any I'v seen hear it is just a one peice oval instead of the kid that opens.Are these trucks very expencive for parts?I was thinking they wouldn't be but since they are so old they might be.one bad thing is that all the chrome
trim,rims and grill have rust on them to it looks like just surface but I don't know. can you get these re cromed?I think I just want to take the side trim right off if I get it.I saw a thread on hear about ugliest interiors and I know this would win it is a brown sued over what looks like lot's of different sized pillows it the cab.it this stock or has sombody done this?I would change the interior first but that will be easy I have a friend who owned an apolstery shop.
I realy apreciate the help with my newbie questions.
wizard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 07:12 AM   #4
chevyman 68 C/10

Welcome to the board!!

The wiper situation is pretty much a curse of going slow ,but yours might be needing a new motor if it is barley moving. The charging system is very easy fixed.

Parts are not expensive, but depending on what you are trying to do to your fixer upper.

Good luck and again welcome to the board

68 Chevy short fleet side 400 sb 5 inch chop top pb. ps. pw. 350 auto and shaved handles

68 anniversary no engine long wheel base 400 auto FOR SALE

68 Chevy fleet side long wheel base complete parts truck.
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:13 AM   #5
Huck

Welcome to our sickness~~~~. These 67-72 trucks are great for a lot of reasons----parts are very cheep, repairs are relitevly easy, lots of knowledge around to help you out and the finished products can be anything from a work horse piece of junk to a fully restored show truck. The 67 is very similar to the 72 with minor differences. Most body parts and mechanicals are close enough for swapping. The key is to get the most truck when you start for the least amount of money. Best recommendation is to find a board member locally to help keep you out of dumb mistakes that we all make. We also have many excellent venders on this board who can fix you up with almost anything you might need. A 67 with lots of miles and one cylinder shot---should be pretty cheep. Keep in mind that even though parts and repairs are cheep, if you farm it out to have all repairs done, just like any thing, it can get expensive so plan I learning how to do stuff yourself and you can wind up with a lifetime keeper. Good luck~~Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote