The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: what compliment means the most to you
some one who know the ins and outs of a chevy 29 61.70%
A non car guy who still drools over your "neat old truck" 13 27.66%
Ford/import.dodge guy who hates GM, but your's is the exception. 7 14.89%
I have no idea... my yard art only gets comments from the code enforcer. 1 2.13%
the scrap guy is the only one who wants my truck, and he sees it in total weight 1 2.13%
This Poll is the dumbest thing I have ever seen... and I even enjoied that Larry the cable guy movie 3 6.38%
ummmm, I don't have a truck, i just come here for the chicks. 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

POLL Compliments to your truck

Here is an interesting question.
From whom does a compliment mean more to you...
A car guy who knows what he is looking at, and is open minded about the make/model of vehicle?
Some one who points at your new alt and says I see you replaced your starter... but still stops to chit chat with you about your 'cool truck'
Some one from another camp, like an import punk, or maybe a blue oval guy who says "I don't normally go for GM stuff, but this is bad ass".
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Re: POLL Compliments to your truck

I prefer the compliments from the real car guys, they are the ones that I look up to so if I can get them to compliment me I am feeling pretty good! One of the best days of my life was one day when I was at the bank in the 95 Monte I had a older gentleman pulled up in a sweet old chevelle. He got out of his car looked at the Monte and said "Its good to see a car that is that well taken car of, I am not a fan of the newer steal but you have done a hell of a job taking care of that car buddy"

this was when I was 16 shortly after I had spent two days detailing the car inside and out. It was one of the best feelings ever.

by the way you should have done this as a poll andy, it would have been interesting to have the results at a glance like that.

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Longhorn Man

I was doing the poll options as you responded
Old 09-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

I ask this, becouse the other night when i was pickin up my mom from her work (she doesn't drive... be happy she doesn't) one of her co-workers who is a total geek wanted to check it all out, said he had been drooling over it for a while now. (anyone drooling over my rig needs his head examined anyways) But anyways, when I popped the hood he was amazed at how "pretty and clean it is". He kept on tapping ont he alt saying I don't really know what all I'm looking at, but I see this starter is new and a few other things too."
I briefly considered treating him like an idiot, but here is a guy who knows nothing about the hobby, lives inside his little glass box, and stopped to voice his appreciation for my ride.
I almost expect comments from a car guy when i am gassing up, and I get a lot of them commenting... normally starting with a "what ya got under the hood?"...normally followed with a "No way!!!! A 500? Really?"
Ford boy, and dodge boy... and esp import punks, they normally don't say anything much to me, my truck isn't pretty (at all) enough to catch there attention, so they miss out on the neat things about it.

But the co-worker geek got me wondering about this... the more I think about it, the more his comments mean to me. Even though he had no idea what he was looking at, he wanted to look at it and he apreciated the efford put into it.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

I voted for the Chevy guy, the non-car guy and the Ford/Dodge guy cause I'll take my compliments anyway I can get them.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

A compliment means the world to me. It makes all of the time and work worth doing. No matter who it comes from. When in a group such as this board, compliments from those who have trucks much nicer than mine are the most meaningful to me.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

I'm with Andy on this one...
I have been to a lot of shows, and seen a lot of cars.
I have been around a lot of people that have been in this environment their whole life.
Give that view - they look at rides all the time - and they compliment just about every ride they see in some way or another. I know this, because I will do the same usually. I will compliment cars I do not like, because it is somewhat of a "car guy thing" to "uphold thy brother who shares the automobile enthusiasm with thee."

When someone that isn't into any type of car at all, just drives them likes my truck, then it's cool. When I see them really flipping over this and that, I am proud. It's nothing for people who see them and know about them all the time to compliment them - just ask the guy who had the '72 that I drooled all over last year at Rod Run - still the best looking truck I have ever seen head to toe. He was glad to have the compliments I could tell, but it wasn't a big deal to him, just more props from another enthusiast.

Thanks non-car guys for taking notice every once in a while.

All that AND what centsless said...when I get a compliment on this board I am truly humbled.

Last edited by Orange; 09-14-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
Sammy

Very seldom do I say anything about someones precious vehicle. But I do ask questions about how, sometimes why? Unless the car/ truck is just uncommonly very well thought out. Like a young guy I seen a week ago at a car show. He had a 71 GMC just beautifully restored with very light improvements. Extremely perfect in everyway. Had to have had at least $10,000 invested in his truck. Every piece of chrome had been triple plated and perfect. Later I found out this week that he had been in a accident after he had it restored the 1ST time & had to find a doner truck to move what he could to this truck. Alot of hard work had been put into this truck twice in one year. I respect the amount of patience he put into that gimmy. I doubt I could have had the energy to do that twice in one year mentally much less endure the cost involved.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Hmmmmm I don't know......I kinda dig the "thumbs up" thing from a carload of strangers.

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I pulled in to a parking lot full of wing dinged Hondas one night with my 77. I was surronded by a large group of import owners that paid my truck tons of compliments. After the crowd thinned out I spent about 30 minutes talking to one of the nicest kids I had met in quit some time.

Even though he had no desire to own one, he was intrigued by the cool old truck....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-14-2006 at 11:42 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #11
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

I tend to respect comments from non-car enthusists they seem more genuine. Then again if i should meet a follow owner of these fine trucks I respect those compliments very highly and those of this fine board too!
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote