The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
abadsvt

Wilwood brakes.... is it worth $1500+?

I was wanting to get good brakes because they are more important than i think some people realize. My question is where do you draw the line. I was looking at Wilwood brakes and they had everything. I didn't even know they make 16" brakes! I don't plan on racing my truck but i do plan on towing with my truck. Do you think i should upgrade to 13" brakes or bigger to be safe towing 5k lbs with my truck or do you think that a standard 11" brake would be fine (I think that is what size they are). I plan on putting front and back disc brakes on the truck. I know the rear doesn't do alot but i still think they should be discs. I know CPP has a set of 13" disc brakes for $650 or so. How would they compare to Wilwood brakes? I am trying to educate myself before i regret buying the wrong setup. Any comments would be appreciated!!!!
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Re: Wilwood brakes.... is it worth $1500+?

The stock power drum brakes in my 3/4 ton truck stop faster and better than many newer vehicles I've driven, don't underestimate the stock stuff, when dialed in properly they're great, but of course if I had $1500 or more laying around I'd go with them, if they had bigger brakes I would still buy them.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.

Last edited by chevy_fatman; 09-15-2006 at 08:31 PM.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I have to with Paul, if I had the $ I'd have em
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I have them on my bike.They are high quality competition brakes.But,I doubt they`d stop the truck much better.Trucks are heavy to stop and the factory brakes are designed for that.Wilwoods are not really truck-oriented components.If you drive your truck like a sports car,then yeah,they`re worth it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
68 short step

wilwood are not much better (if any) then your stock discs for our truck... bear on the other hand is by far superior.... as for CPP haveing 13 " brakes , thats a new one for me (whats the part #) stock ones are 12".......
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

here they are on my pro-street truck....going 140 mph is no fun if you can't stop

Last edited by rage'nrat638; 07-12-2007 at 07:02 AM.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
abadsvt

Here is the link for the CPP big brake kits. http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...igBrakeKit.htm
Since they changed there webpage i didn't see one for our truck but on the old site they had a set. I guess i will have to call them to find out. Why is Baer better than Wilwood? Does Baer make a kit for our truck? Thanks for all the replies!!!!

Josh
Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I think we`re talkin` opinion on Baer vs Wilwood.Will 13" brakes fit w/o going to trendy big rims?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Musclerodz

Yes, good quality brakes are worth it. Just know up front if you go larger than stock rotors, you may also need to run larger diameter wheels to fit them behind. There is also the consideration of caliper clearance of the wheel itself. Much of the stopping capability relies in the composition of the brake pads themselves. With stock brakes, you don't have the choices in brake pads as in the aftermarket brakes.

Special-K, why do you think they are not truck oriented? Wilwood has bolt-on upgrade kits for trucks, as well as being used in the NASCAR truck series.

Short step, care to elaborate? BAER uses OEM PBR calipers in their base systems, so no improvement there except in pad and rotor technology. There upper end parts are much better. All Wilwood products are designed specifically for each application from street use to full race.

Mike

Last edited by Musclerodz; 09-15-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Here is the link for the CPP big brake kits. http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...igBrakeKit.htm
Since they changed there webpage i didn't see one for our truck but on the old site they had a set. I guess i will have to call them to find out. Why is Baer better than Wilwood? Does Baer make a kit for our truck? Thanks for all the replies!!!!

Josh
ok that link is a bear kit with a CPP logo on it...... why are they better , wilwood uses a .80 " thick and 12" rotor made by them for there kits.... bear uses mostly c5 and c4 corvette parts ( means if your far from home and something brakes, parts sture will usually have it on hand) if that was WIL you'd have to order it.... bear uses a 1.25 thick and 13" rotor ( for our appication) same as a c5 vette...bear are for haulin, road coarse, and looking bad to the bone.... WIL are for everyday driving, not haulin alot, and look like i wish i wouldda got bear.... and yes they do make a kit for our trucks its 1499 with about a 2 week wait
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
qksilver

part of stopping better is tire size also, if the brakes over power the tire than the upgrade is wasted. Needs to be part of a system, with STREET compound pads, enough pedal pressure and tire grip
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #12
abadsvt

I am not worried about the size of the brakes because i am going to be running 20" wheels. What did you guys think about the CPP setup. I could get front and back for under $1750 in 13" brakes. That sounds good compared to wilwood and baer where the front alone is that much. I was looking around for a wrecked z06 corvette because i want the motor and trans but could i also take the brakes? I would imagine that they would be great in the performance because of the car. What do you think about that? Thanks Josh
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
abadsvt

By the way Rage'nrat those brakes look great
Old 09-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

NASCAR truck series ...

as if anything on those race vehicles even remotely resembles stock truck components.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #15
jimmydean

Is there a stock type swap for our trucks?

I helped a friend of mine install 1 ton brakes on his '78 1/2 Furd Bronco. It was a bolt on swap of a larger caliper that made a world of difference on his rig. I also did a 4x4 Toyota sawp on my Datsun 240z that replaced the stop 2 pot for the Toyota 4 pot.

Like the CPP kit using Corvette parts, by using the Toyota setup, parts are easy to find. I just don't know if there is something like that for ours.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #16
cableguy0

willwood brakes are lightweight racing components. if you ran those brakes while towing with a truck you would destroy the lightweight rotors. the stock disk/drum setup will work just fine for what your doing. upgrade to ceramic pads and kevlar shoes and keep the rear brakes adjusted.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #17
qksilver

Cable guy sounds like you used to tow with a 70 to mid 80"s one ton chevy, never stopped well especially if you didn't constantly adjust the rear brakes
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Special-K, why do you think they are not truck oriented? Wilwood has bolt-on upgrade kits for trucks, as well as being used in the NASCAR truck series.
Mike
Mike,when I say "truck" I`m refering to a vehicle used to haul or pull objects of a weight nearly as great as it`s own.Abadsvt said something about towing in his wanting better brakes.I was responding to that.Wilwood is a speed equipment company that makes excellent components and has been my choice for many years for high performance applications.

You all realize the whole "big wheel/low pro tire" thing started on sports cars.Low profile tires were first.They give less side deflection,so you corner better.Also,race tracks are smooth,no potholes,manholes,etc.
Then with higher speeds came bigger brakes to stop better.So,the rim diameter grew to fit the brakes out of necessity.Then came SUVs???The taller the tire/wheel,the harder to stop.Then,add the weight of a truck-based vehicle.Bigger brakes should be part of that package,for sure.

Tim

Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #19
abadsvt

Okay! I feel like i am getting somewhere . So wilwood is more for racing and i don't plan on doing much of that. So what about the kit from CPP 13" brakes or a set of Baers or a standard disc brake? As soon as i feel comfortable on what i should i buy i will order me a set. Thanks Josh
Old 09-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #20
classicchev

WELL!!!!!!!!! I have done it, originally bought Baer 13" rotors 2 piston caliper setup that is on the Baer site. Couple things about Baer. I had orderes these in august of 05 , took 4 months to get . I had ordered a rear setup at the same time, they sent me the wrong bolt pattern, and I still have not got the correct part,There customer service kind of sucks.
Quality wise, the front stuff is decent 1 1/4 thick rotors, nice calipers, but the rear is kind of cheesssssy. It uses PBR calipers that are used on just about everything out there I have seen them on the 300Z and a Mercedes 500, I know they must work, but they look like crap.

So the Baer stuff is know gone, Lowburb has the front setup on his 71 burb, and the rears were sold to a buddy with a 69 Camaro. So much for Baer.

SOOOOOOO, then I started the search again. Found a site called RevolutionBrakes, The guy I talked to there just happened to be a truck guy with a 72 4x4 bBlazer. 14" Rotors on the front, 4 piston Calipers, and 13 "rotors (had 14 but the price ) 4 piston calipers with a single piston Ebrake caliper on the rear.. This stuff looks sweet. Then there is the price!!!

The setup I bought from Baer worked out to be around 3000 US, I think its a little more now. The cost of the Precision stuff worked out to be 2400 for the fronts and 1900 for the rears

Havent seen the product yet, but Im sure I will be able to stop, on a dime.
There are alot of people out there that think brakes are way over the top, but until you drive a vehicle with huge upgraded brakes you will never know what it is like. I have personally driven a car that was upgraded to Cobra brakes, and it stopped way better than his Porsche. Unbelievable? Maybe, The owner of that car is a member on this site, and just happens to have the 13" Baer brakes on the front of his Burb.

Enough for now, Darren

Last edited by classicchev; 09-16-2006 at 11:44 AM.
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #21
abadsvt

Well i finally called CPP and they don't make a kit for our trucks in the 13" discs. They told me the only thing they have in the way of big brakes is a set of baer brakes. The kit comes with 13" 2 piston up front and a 12" single piston for the rear. Here is the link. http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...370CBILBGT.htm . They wanted $2399 for that set. Hey Classic chevy is this the kit you got? They said that the back order is only 3 weeks. Thanks Josh
Old 09-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
classicchev

Not the same one, actually not even close. Here is the link to the setup I got

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/baer/pr...a7768fa8838866

Fronts are 2 piston Baer calipers, not PBR. Slotted, drilled rotors 13 ' front and rear

Darren
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Quote:
thanks brother
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #24
abadsvt

I have been doing tons on research and i am almost to the point where i am loosing my mind . Unfortunately i don't know enough about brakes to help me choose what makes this set better than another set. Also i don't trust calling baer to help me make my decision because they are trying to sell me "there" product and it is always "better" than the others. I like to get unbiased opinions and options. Do you think that Baer Brake set is worth $2399 or should i keep looking? At that price i think i would rather not go any higher unless there is a BIG difference in performance. I just want to buy the right set for my situation which is towing 5k and every now and then have some fun racing. Sorry for asking the same question over and over it is just i do fell like i have got an answere or opinion that helps me decide. Thanks ahead of time. JOSH
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #25
409biscayne

Quote:
Ditto .
65 Nova Wagon Drag Car 383 t400 (Dragin-Wagon)
68 c10 cst 396 t400 a/c buckets lwb 4.11 posi (SOLD)
409biscayne is offline   Reply With Quote