The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
longorange68

Aftermarket Tachometers

Looking to buy a Tachometer to put into my factory gauge cluster, what fits? Is there any certain brand or manufacturer that everybody recommends? I have made a billet aluminum replica of the OE cluster that will be my finished product on the CNC mill at work, but am looking to fit all the aftermarket gauges in the original which is acting as a mock up. Once I have a tach, and figure out how to place it so it looks good, I will then outfit the rest of the cluster with the same style and vintage of stuff. Help out with details and tips if you can.

Josh

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

Re: Aftermarket Tachometers

I believe LMC has the "stock" tachometer. That will definetly fit.

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

LMC and any other 67-72 GM truck parts dealer sells the "in-dash" tach.As for making a cup-mounted tach work,the standard size ones work.I dunno,are thet 3 1/4"?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
mrein3

When I put together my 383 I didn't have a tach. I wanted to run the cam in EXACTLY how the manufacturer said so I bought an el-cheapo tach at Checkers.

Later on I wanted to buy a factory tach setup. About the time my factory (used) tach dash showed up there was a big debate on this list about the accuracy of 30+ year old factory tachs. I mocked up the el-cheapo and it appeared to fit pretty good.

I had a factory gauge setup minus the speedo that I bought at a swap for $1 so I decided to cut it up to try this tach.

I used the factory setup as a template and cut some holes in the $1 tin. I fabbed up a metal bracket to hold the tach and used the factory tach printed circuit to pass the wires through. I painted on some of that stuff you buy at Home Depot to dip your tool handles in to prevent any wear on the tach printed circuit. I also put a 4 wire trailer harness in line behind the tach so I can remove the dash if necessary.

I also put in a "Quartz" clock out of a mid 80s GM truck while I was at it. That clock is suprisingly accurate.

I tried to get a close up of el-cheapo tach. It says "Pro Tach".
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have that exact same tach in my truck... it is WAY inacurate. Sometimes by a couple hundred, sometimes by over a thousand. (tested against my new snap on multimeter)
None the less... it is still in my truck. I installed mine in the inst panel, but I put it in from the front. I cut out the plastic lens, then I cut out the tin, and I had to hammer on the back plate of the inst panel, but it all works. I simply slid the tach in the bezel hole and it fits great.

I know neither pic shows too well what I did, nor do they show how good it all actually turned out (I need a white face tach BAD), but they do give an idea though.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
longorange68

What are the measurements for the big gauge spots and the small ones? In your pic the tach is what diameter in inches? What about the clock/oil pressure/vacuum/ammeter? Looking to buy, not sure what size....

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I have that exact same tach in my truck... it is WAY inacurate. Sometimes by a couple hundred, sometimes by over a thousand. (tested against my new snap on multimeter)
None the less... it is still in my truck. I installed mine in the inst panel, but I put it in from the front. I cut out the plastic lens, then I cut out the tin, and I had to hammer on the back plate of the inst panel, but it all works. I simply slid the tach in the bezel hole and it fits great.

I know neither pic shows too well what I did, nor do they show how good it all actually turned out (I need a white face tach BAD), but they do give an idea though.

"A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two ain't never quite sure"

How do you know your new snap-on multimeter is accurate?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

I like the way the tach looks sitting on the colum. I have a similar tach to the ones pictured but I am going to mount mine on the colum in from of the hole.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
John @ BROTHERS

Hey longorange68, here is the link to our tach. It is the original style and Made in the USA!!
http://www.brothersonlinestore.com/p...number=TACH100
John @ BROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

Zumo, if the truck is driven regulkarly at night, i don't recomend that. The reflection in the windshield is RIGHT dead center in your viewing path.

As for how do i know the snap on tool is right... I'd trust a $450 snap on tool over a 20 dollare 10 year old tach any day of my life. Plus, the tester is brand spankin new. I even had to order it and they were back ordered, so mine came straight from the factory instead of bouncing around on a tool truck for 6 months.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
71chevytruckguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumo View Post
I like the way the tach looks sitting on the colum. I have a similar tach to the ones pictured but I am going to mount mine on the colum in from of the hole.

i've got a summit tach with a built in shift light mounted like above. at night there is a small reflection on the windsheild buts its no big deal. you can also see the shifter too and i ain't gettin rid of that. chris.

71 c-10 lwb, in the middle of frame off restoration.

69 c-10 swb, drag truck, 406 sbc, balanced, comp 292 cam, ported, polished, gasket matched, and bowl blended pro comp 210cc heads, 2.02/1.60 ferrea valves,1.6 roller rockers, re curved hei with msd 6al box, 2-step rev limter, accel 300+ wires, ported victor jr intake, holley 750 double pumper carb, dynomax 1 5/8 headers, 4 spd munci m-20 with super case and iron midplate, mr. gasket vertigate shifter, 5.38 pro gears with full spool, 33 spline moser axles and c-clip elimators, line-loc, 5 gal fuel cell, holley blue pump.
7.807 @ 88.37mph 1.60 60FT

80 g-20 van, tow rig, cammed 305, th350, 10 bolt

88 jeep wrangler, dd, 258, ax-15 swap, 4.5" lift, 33x12.50's, lockers, 3.55's
71chevytruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
67chevy2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Zumo, if the truck is driven regulkarly at night, i don't recomend that. The reflection in the windshield is RIGHT dead center in your viewing path.

As for how do i know the snap on tool is right... I'd trust a $450 snap on tool over a 20 dollare 10 year old tach any day of my life. Plus, the tester is brand spankin new. I even had to order it and they were back ordered, so mine came straight from the factory instead of bouncing around on a tool truck for 6 months.
Exactly what I was thinking, a presision tool v.s. a elcheapo tach. How do you like the snap on multimeter, I have a 2 year old fluke and I love it.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

Honestly, i'll probably give it back to the snap on guy. I have a Fluke that he just tested and it is still dead on. It's about 8 years old, but if it is dead on, I can't see spending that kind of money on it... and i really don't need the tach setting.
Basicly I was standing on the truck itching to buy something... I just dropped another 2500 on my box adding on to it. I should probably lay off for a bit.