The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Broken_down?

well she dies...

well went to fire up the old girl after a 6 or 7 month of no use and she would not crank. Dead battery. Jumped it won't start, cranks ok but just wont start. Poured a little juice in her mouth and still not start. Someone stole my gas! grrrrrr! Had to go down to the station and fill the gas can. Get back and fill her up with some more juice but still just cranks no start. Now I got a good charge on battery and it will crack for all of about 2 seconds then (for lack of better word) locks and you have to retry starting again. So now I am like wtf? She was running when I parked her. So I start at my plugs to see if for some reason I have a lose/broken/fouled plug(s). Let me break this down:

Start cyclinder:

2 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
4 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
6 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
8 = Plug covered in oil!!!!

1 = ok
3 = ok
5 = ok
7 = Plug covered in oil!!!!

So now I understand why she won't start............... so with that I want to get rid of this dam 350 that has been nothing but a Pain in my ass and go back to the 327 that was stock with her. Anyone know a good place that sells a 327 long block?? I'm up for any recommendations. Or if someone is getting rid of a 327 block long or not....

rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION

Last edited by Broken_down?; 09-17-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: well she dies...

It sounds like someone squirted oil in the cylinders to store it

Try turning it over with the plugs out to clear the cylinders out. Be advised it will blow oil all over everywhere......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-17-2006 at 09:32 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_down? View Post
well went to fire up the old girl after a 6 or 7 month of no use and she would not crank. Dead battery. Jumped it won't start, cranks ok but just wont start. Poured a little juice in her mouth and still not start. Someone stole my gas! grrrrrr! Had to go down to the station and fill the gas can. Get back and fill her up with some more juice but still just cranks no start. Now I got a good charge on battery and it will crack for all of about 2 seconds then (for lack of better word) locks and you have to retry starting again. So now I am like wtf? She was running when I parked her. So I start at my plugs to see if for some reason I have a lose/broken/fouled plug(s). Let me break this down:

Start cyclinder:

2 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
4 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
6 = Plug covered in oil!!!!
8 = Plug covered in oil!!!!

1 = ok
3 = ok
5 = ok
7 = Plug covered in oil!!!!

So now I understand why she won't start............... so with that I want to get rid of this dam 350 that has been nothing but a Pain in my ass and go back to the 327 that was stock with her. Anyone know a good place that sells a 327 long block?? I'm up for any recommendations. Or if someone is getting rid of a 327 block long or not....

rich

check out napa, long blocks for a small block chevy are usually abot 1300 bucks, and come with a 3yr unlimited mile warranty plus its free shipping
Old 09-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Is there a chance that it was actually fuel on the sparkers?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Dude, don't toss her yet! I had the same problem with my 67 after she sat for almost a year. I went to Advance and got some new NGK spark plugs (all 8 for like 10 bucks?) and she fired right up. An oil change and several months later she runs like a top with clean spark plugs! At least try $10 bucks worth of new plugs before you jump at a new motor
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
Broken_down?

well this coming weekend I am going to give the "starting with plugs out" a try and pickup some Autolites. I am running champions right now but not as good as ol Autolites There was faint fuel oder but oil also. One more time... If it happens again I swear I am going to through this motor in the neighbors yard!

rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION

Last edited by Broken_down?; 09-17-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 AM   #7
RSRXION

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Your problem has nothing to do with cubic inches of the assembly of iron and steel. The problem lies with those accessories currently bolted to that lump of iron and steel.

Let's look at this logically. We know it's getting fuel because you poured it in. Did you pour too much ? Is that coating you speak of on the plugs a mixture of raw gasoline and a little oil residue from worn valve seals ? Are the plugs simply unable to ignite such a rich mixture of fuel ? Did you pour too little and the engine runs a brief time because it isn't enough fuel to sustain fire ? Is the fuel pump bad and subsequently not delivering said fuel ? The diaphragm may have dried out and torn ( common when they sit for a while ) resulting in an inability to pump fuel. You say that someone stole all of your gas. Is it possible that you didn't allow the pump sufficient opportunity to move the new fuel through the currently empty fuel lines and to the carburetor ?

Speaking of ignition.... Is it getting spark ? Take a plug wire off and insert a flat blade screwdriver into the plug wire boot making good contact with the metal clip. Now ask a helper to crank the engine as you hold the screwdriver blade near ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch ) from a grounded piece of metal. Does it arc ? By the way, hold the screwdriver by the handle and not the blade. If you are holding the blade when it cranks, you'll get an approximately 32,000 volt reminder to let go everytime it makes a rotation. It won't take long to figure it out when urine runs down both legs .

If it's getting ample fire , swap the plugs and see what happens. If it isn't, go further upstream. Cap and rotor corroded maybe ? Points burned because someone left the ignition switch on maybe ? ( On older point type distributors , the points are easily burned if they are in the closed position and the key is left in the on position. They receive a steady supply of current and no means of disbursing it so they burn . ) Coil wire off maybe ? Plug wires old and broken down maybe ?

Any of these fixes are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new small block. I'd seriously consider a few minor repair attempts before getting too carried away. If you're hell bent to replace the engine , all of the aforementioned parts will bolt right on to your new 327. Just remember though, there is no replacement for displacement.

JMHO and .02 , Dean

Last edited by RSRXION; 09-18-2006 at 03:15 AM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote