The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
djw32

Transmission conversion

Hi guys,
The 72 chevy c-10 has a B&M th350.

I want to install a 700 r4, but I need help.
I need to know:
1. What linkage should I run? Is there a retro fit kit?
2. Can I reuse the driveshaft?
3. What trans cooler do you recommend?
4. Trans. dipstick(lokar?)
5. What am I missing? Can anyone tell me? Is there a link to a site? I would really appreciate any and all help

Thanks, David

Last edited by djw32; 09-19-2006 at 06:29 PM.
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Transmission conversion

You've missed the two important questions.
How do i controll the lock up converter
and how do i adjust the TV cable properly

#1 You can hook the linkage directly like it was on the Th350, but you won't be able to get manual first gear. In reality, I feel it isn't needed, but others disagree, and some have good reasons. If you have a non tilt, you can carefully adjust the linkages to where you can get all selections, but, you have to make sure the tranny is actually in gear, in it's detent. Some one on here moved the mounting o[point on his frame an inch or something and gained all kinds of room. I wish i could tell you more, but I didn't pay attention.
#2 You can reuse the drive shaft after havinf a drive shaft place cut it down and install another style yoke.
#3 After a good flushing, you can use the stock cooler, but IMO, and many performance tranny builder's opinion, you need a good aux tranny cooler. Don't get the cheap crappy ones with hose clamps that sell for 25 bucks, get a quality one. Look in any performance catalog, jeggs, summit....are there any more thse days?
#4 If you go to the junk yard for your tranny, get the dip stick and tube with the tranny. If you buy from a rebuilder, ask them what p/n they recomend... or, go aftermarket.
#5 You'll need to relocate the tranny cross member, just bolt up the tranny to the engine, and slide the crossmember into the spot you need it, mark the spots that need holes and drill them out.
#5a The tranny rebuilder should be able to help you out with speedo fears if it is an older 700, if it is a later one, you'll want to locate an old tailshaft so you can maintain the mechanical speedo, otherwise you'll need a hi-dollar adapter to take the electronic reading and convert it to mechanical.
#5b You may want to look at your rear end gear... if it is a 3.07, your MPG may well go down from lugging the motor too much.
#5c For the lock up control, B&M makes a cool little controller, you can adjust the speed you want the converter to go into lock up, or, you can go to the dealer, and get the vacume controlled (problematic) parts they used on the old TH350C.
#5d www.bowtieoverdrives.com has the best kit out there for properly adjusting the TV cable. This is the most important thing to get right, becouse if it isn't dead on even though it feels right) yout tranny will die in less than 20,000 miles. It's expensive, but so is a replacement tranny. They also offer the correct accessories for your carb to get the right geomitry for the rate of pull needed on the cable.

A quick search on the subject will net you a BUNCH of threads with LOTS of info.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here's a little info on the subject.

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
lilpup69chevy
67-72 parts finder

yep i agree with longhorn that R4 will not last with a misadjusted TV cable but its fairly easy to set if you know what your doing problem is a lot of ppl don't
2004 pontiac grand prix gt (the ol ladys car)
1985 chevy short wide
1970 chevy c10 lwb (another parts rig)
1969 gmc lwb (rainy day project)
1968 chevy lwb c10 250 I6 3 spd (soon to be swb)
lilpup69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
brak

for converting the tranny to vacuum controlled lockup, i highly recommend the TCI kit (p/n 376600). i've used this kit in three trannies so far, it takes about 15 minutes to install (not including the time spent on the pan bolts), and actually allows you to hook up switches to manually lock it in any gear, or bypass lockup for towing purposes. and at $80 it's relatively cheap.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
brak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #6
Ozona
Account Suspended

I just bought a full package including the 700r4, Torque Converter, TV system, even the correct cross member for my truck from bowtieoverdrives.com Great to deal with, and I'm excited to get it. The most important part is that they have a lot of information on the trans on their website.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
djw32

Wow! I have a lot of reading ahead of me. I will get started on the links immediately. Once again, thanks to everyone!

I'm very happy to know that bowtieoverdrives.com is only 50 miles from my house, I will be going to bowtieoverdrives.com for sure.

Last edited by djw32; 09-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozona View Post
I just bought a full package including the 700r4, Torque Converter, TV system, even the correct cross member for my truck from bowtieoverdrives.com Great to deal with, and I'm excited to get it. The most important part is that they have a lot of information on the trans on their website.
Let us know how all that turns out - I have had my eye on them for a while.