The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
shifty
Questionable

How in the heck? Inner firewall padding removal.

Ok...so the cardboard-backed sound deadener sheet that's on the firewall....how does a guy go about getting the rubber plugs out to pull that thing off? I've finally gotten around to mapping out where to punch my hydraulics for the clutch and ended up ripping away the piece around the fusebox. I was just curious how in the heck to do it the right way next time.

Any info appreciated. Do people normally just cut the rubber plugs out and get new ones?

Thanks....

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #2
Bob B.

Re: How in the heck? Inner firewall padding removal.

Those fasteners are 'one-way'. They usually break when you try to remove them. The good news is most of the suppliers sell them, and they are not expensive.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Perfect. Judging by the shape of the padding behind that cardboard, I should replace everything anyway....I think I'll wait till I'm ready to have the bodywork done, though.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
neonlarry

I just took a tool made of flat stock with a 'V' notch and they poped out fine (reusable). That done you also have to remove two sets of rubber hoses and one set of electrical wires that go thru holes in the cardboard\padding.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote