The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

I spent the week chasinf my tale trying to get a chance to work on my 77. It never happened so Saturday was my day.

I planned to attend a local Rod Run that was on Saturday and Sunday. I figured I would spend Saturday cleaning my truck and hit the show Sunday. WRONG!

I worked most of the day Saturday cleaning the motor and polishing the wheels on both sides. I had to stop to take my daughter to a formal dinner she was attending before her Homecoming Dance.

I got up early this morning to the sound of rain. I checked the weather radar and the forecast was for 100% chance of rain all day. Crap!
I finished detailing the 77, cleaned my garage up, polished my stainless tool box, and changed a busted driving light in my Dodge.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
LowRodder

Re: What did you get done?

Found this site doing a search 4 a fuel cell, fond the fuelcellguy and all kinds of info 4 a chevy nut like me, drolled over your 77 and n2billit's 67 or is it a 68, started a tread for my frame off Rustoration... been spending to much time at the pc ever since.
LowRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Prerunner1982

Friday: The family and I went to a small local theme park.. think 6 flags (it is owned by 6 flags) but about 100 times smaller. It was packed and I dont do well with crouds.. but it was a night out..
Sat: Slept in til 9am, mowed the worst part of the yard as the other half hasnt grown enough to warrant mowing and the worst part was atleast a foot tall and 5' in some places. Relaxed the rest of the day and took the wife and daughter to the State Fair and monster trucks. Was the first monster truck show for the kiddo and she LOVED it.. the first event was the wheelie contest and the first truck out wrecked into the fence (its at a dirt circle track) and knocked the fender half over.. There was also a couple of stunt motorcycles and a jet car.. so it was fun. Though I wished they would have done the Tough truck comp again this year.. They did say when they come back in Feb, there will be Tough Truck mud drags.. so I will probably go to that for my BDay.
Sun: Worked (Church Nursery) and fixed our phone lines as they had alot of static.. the line the comp is on was soo bad that the comp couldnt detect a dial tone. Its perfectly clear now and is almost like having cable compared to how it was the past couple of weeks. I couldnt fix the main house line so I will try re-wiring it and see where I stand. And now my wife is cooking home made spagetti...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Well, after bringing home the '84 on Wednesday, I'm currently taking it apart piece by piece. Yesterday I pulled the dash bezel to confirm my brand new 78-80 bezel will not work. And of course 81+ bezels are currently unavailable anywhere. I'll post a WTB thread tonight.

Today I pulled what the owner described as "some sony speakers" from behind the seat...

Sony Xplode 5 1/4 speakers, brand new. The surrounds haven't even been stretched.

This evening, after NASCAR, I pulled the door panels and lower door carpet, put in the shed, and pulled the power switches and bezels, brought them in the house. After supper, loookin' to pull the dash trim and maybe the whole dash.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have been sick all week with a sinus infection that keeps me from sleeping at night. I have been just trying to relax and catch up on my sleep this weekend. I went to Costco yesterday and bought a brisket. Last night I spent the evening working on my computer getting some weird problems straightened out.

I have spent much of today smoking the brisket over mesquite. This is my first time doing a whole brisket, but it seems to be smoking very nicely. Unfortunately I got it started too late to eat tonight, but I hope to have some good brisket tomorrow night.

Slonaker
Old 09-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
bigarmzz

-got a 4" Skyjacker lift put on my truck
-got a 47k gvw tranny cooler installed on my truck
-got a 4 core rad installed, with all new brackets, shroud and hardware

..........finally
Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
but I hope to have some good brisket tomorrow night.

Slonaker

hey slo, what is "brisket"? , am i just a dumb hillbilly? seems like when i read that, i thought you were talking in code about getting some off your ol' lady or sumfin?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
1987 Shortwide

I spent all night sunday and saturday morning/early afternoon thrashing to get my wagon back on the road (had to put a new core support in), left at 4pm and traveled about an hour south to Ark City, KS for a car show/cruise/late night street action. Left there at 1am and got home at about 2:30. Today I brought my truck home from it's stay at my parents, and cleaned up around the house.

Pic under the hood after the core support, some cleaning, and some painting.

Pics of the car today, pretty dirty after last night, driving 150 miles and the car setting at the racetrack on gravel.

Pic of the truck waiting to assum it's resting ground in the shop again... LOL
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Worked on the "garagemahal" this weekend..........finished getting the metal up and trimmed out one side. Wont be long now...we will have a concrete floor, water and power!!!
Attached Images

72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Finally got the 68 up and moving on it's own power again.....the fact that it kinda stops takes a large monkey off my back (had major problems with the brakes)

But the best thing that happened this weekend was that I got my 64 Rambler delivered from Penn. and it's in much better shape than I ever could imagine....it's real hard to buy a car site unseen because what you think is nice is no where close to what the seller considers nice..... I'm thinking the blue 68 will have to wait for this car to be bagged and recieve it's new large rollers before it gets any work.....

Last edited by n2billet; 10-29-2006 at 10:27 PM.
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
fris_94

i didn't do a whole lot this weekend. I'm tryin to get my choke fixed on my 83 C10 and I ended up makin it a bit worse. It wouldn't be so bad if I never had to use everyday to get back and forth to school. And it's starting to get colder every night now so the quicker its done the better. I bought a thermostat for it and I'm soon goin to put that in. Other than that I didn't do a damn thing. The couch got used quite a bit
Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
olblue81

Saturday morning was channel surfing between Speed and Spike to catch the cool shows for inspiration. Spent a little time on Saturday installing the Flex-a-lite electric fans I bought this summer. What was supposed to be a weekend install has taken months. I guess that happens when you order the wrong part number from Summit. Now I'm trying to fab some brackets up that don't look like some hack fabbed some brackets up. Got frustrated and switched to finishing the wiring. Got one wire in and family duty kicked in for the rest of the day.
Sunday involved watching the pre-race coverage, church and then Dover Cup race. Tried cheering when Burton won, but couldn't because the baby was sleeping. Ran outside and spent four hours building a gate for the yard. Used tailgate of the 81 for sawhorses. Closest I got to working on it today.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post
hey slo, what is "brisket"? , am i just a dumb hillbilly? seems like when i read that, i thought you were talking in code about getting some off your ol' lady or sumfin?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisket-
Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest and can come from many animals. In some locales, the type of animal the brisket comes from is inherent in the word. In Texas, for example, if brisket is used by itself, it implies that the meat is beef.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Brisket = heavenly when properly prepared.

My dad did one a couple weeks ago that was TO DIE FOR. It was great. But its all in how you cook it. They are rather easy to screw up, or at least not do "quite right".
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Slonaker- Let me know how it turns out. You can ask LOHRTBTI love to cook brisket. The in-laws usually get first dibbs even before me. I can give you some hints on easily cooking it.

Thurs. Jody and I left to Turner Falls in Oklahoma. We had planned for this vacation for a while. We both needed a get away. I had other plans besides the get away. Short version is I popped the question this weekend. Now I get the extra free money from my paychecks I'd been saving to pay off the ring now go towards the trucks. I'll post pics later on after we get some developed. I still can't find my digital one.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson

Last edited by 79BIG10; 09-25-2006 at 01:36 AM.
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #16
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post

Brisket like others mnetioned is kind of a Southern states thing. We take the brisket (probably turns into ground beef in other parts of the country) and season it with a rub. A rub is blend of spices that are liberally rubbed on the brisket and left on to season it. I usually do mine the night before cooking. Then you get a smoker with some choice of firewood. You regulate the temp. and time. I can cook 2-3 briskets (depending on the size of them-usually about 30lbs.) on my smoker. It takes about 10-12 hours for a fully cooked set. Sometimes longer depending on the weight, thickness etc. Once it's done you can trim off the fat and slice it up. I usually makes sliced and chopped beef. Chopped beef is like pulled pork in the Carolinas. You can add BBQ sauce etc. when serving it.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10 View Post
Short version is I popped the question this weekend. Now I get the extra free money from my paychecks I'd been saving to pay off the ring now go towards the trucks. I'll post pics later on after we get some developed. I still can't find my digital one.
I assume this means she fell for it and said YES?!

Congrats B, that is sweet! I know it's early, but have you guys talked at all about a date?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #18
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
hey slo, what is "brisket"? , am i just a dumb hillbilly?
I forget that not everyone knows what it is. As was said, it is a huge chunk of beef that we slow cook. Around here we smoke them, but my relatives in Louisiana bake them. I don't know if baking it is just a regional thing or if my relatives are just weird.

It is kind of our equivalent to pork shoulder. It is really good when done correctly. Around here everyone smokes them with mesquite or oak.

Brandon: I just trimmed my brisket up last night, but have not yet sliced it. Based on what I saw, it won't be very good. I'll PM you with some questions...

Slonaker

EDIT: Congratulations, Brandon!

Last edited by Slonaker; 09-25-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Thursday - removed the clear for the 4 and final factory aluminum wheel and went over it with Mothers Polish. It was ok, but I still didn't like it.
Friday - finally found some aluminum cleaner and coated the aluminum wheels with it. After some scuffing on all 4 wheels I finally figured that was as well as it was going to get.
Saturday - Round 2 of the scuffing of the wheels. I was determined to get the "bad" spots out. After doing the hand polishing for 2 rims I went and got a power ball and some polish. I went back over the first 2 again and finished the 3rd.
Sunday - Finished all 4 wheels with the power ball and went over them with Hand polish again hoping to clean it up more. Finally gave in and called it quits. They aren't perfect, but they are A LOT better than before. Took the Daily to the tire store and had them swapped and balanced. I like it much more now... (Did I mention I HATE polishing aluminum...) I plan to have them cleared later...

Before

After

Truck before:

Truck After:
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
bigblock73
yeller

Looks great Chris!!!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #21
1987 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BIG10 View Post
Slonaker- Let me know how it turns out. You can ask LOHRTBTI love to cook brisket. The in-laws usually get first dibbs even before me. I can give you some hints on easily cooking it.

Thurs. Jody and I left to Turner Falls in Oklahoma. We had planned for this vacation for a while. We both needed a get away. I had other plans besides the get away. Short version is I popped the question this weekend. Now I get the extra free money from my paychecks I'd been saving to pay off the ring now go towards the trucks. I'll post pics later on after we get some developed. I still can't find my digital one.

Congrats on the proposal success! I never posted up any pics but I just took the dive myself in July....

Also, you keep talking about brisket, you might just end up with a group of us on the door step on evening... lol
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Keith- You just can't leave the Odd Rods alone. I'm not too sure about that color, but it should look good laid out.

Chris- The wheels made a huge difference. Get them clear coated before you go nuts. I'm ready to roll my billet wheels down a hill.

Brandon- Congratulations. She did say yes, didn't she...

Steve- That's a beautiful lady there in the pic. Whose the sap next to her....

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #23
84 400
Sb 400 club

No 84 stuff this weekend. I did do some more rust griding on my dads 200o hoe today. then painted in rustolium "heavley rusted metal primmer" then a top coat of flat black. Also got my 62 wheel horse back from the shop. They did not get to fix it because the owner had some cop trouble and the shop got torn apart so i had to pick it up early. So i pulled the motor off and got it ready to split apart and replace the govener gear. Also played catch with the dog some. all in all a nice relazing weekend
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #24
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Thanks everyone. LOL Yeah she did say yes. I'm suprised ya'll didn't hear her from there. She was shocked to say the least.

Jeff- No date set as of yet. Maybe sometime next year or so. No rush there.

Steven- Congrats to you as well. BTW: Just give me a couple days in advance and I'll make you up some. I'll be happy to share my recipe with ya'll. It's nothing special and store bought. It's something LOHRTBT showed me one time and I've been hooked ever since. In fact I had to go to Oklahoma to get the rub since the store here stopped carrying it. Luckily I can now get it online

Last edited by 79BIG10; 09-26-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #25
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Slonaker- Give me a PM and I'll send you some info.