The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

New P/S Pump -- Leaking!

I put on a new power steering pump on my '71 Jimmy [4WD,350, sm465,np205] last Thursday and now it's losing a lot of fluid.
I had the Gear Box R&R'd about a month ago at a shop in Tucson [home]. The old pump was working OK so we left it on. Then last Tuesday, after a freeway run up to Mesa [95 miles~] I heard this repeated knocking under the hood. I thought it was the flex fan hitting the radiator shroud, but the big problem was excessive wobbling the pulley on the P/S Pump. I pulled the old pump and after getting the pulley off, I saw the woodruff key in the pump shaft had been enlarged by successive vibrations so that the key slot was twice its normal size.
So I got a rebuilt pump from Checker Auto with a warranty. Install was a PIA but I got it all back together. It leaked from the start. I found one of the hose clamps on the Lo-pressure return line was busted so I used a new one. It still leaked. In fact, it seems to leak worse each day. Since I was on an out-of-town run, I kept topping off fluid. I'll have the shop look at it tomorrow -- since they need to adjust the front brakes anyway.
I had a problem with the 2 studs that stick out the back of the pump -- ~3/8-20 studs on a 5/8 hex in the middle. Had to use a vice and a ball pien and a 3/4 drive ratchet to ding them off. Finally they came loose. On reassembly, I leaned into the last turn, but had no torque wrench. Was I 'spose to use thread sealer or loctite on those applications? There were no O-rings with the new pump or visible on the old. The lower stud seems to be a focus point for PSF to collect before forming a drop big enough to splash in your eye. Could it be my leak?
I always use Pyroil [Valvoline] Power Steering Fluid. Its clear, so is Prestone PSF. After the shop put on the P/S Gearbox and draglink and alignment, last month, the fluid was red, like ATF. If you mix ATF and PSF, do you get a problem -- like mixing Dextron/Mercon and Type "F" that blows seals in automatic trannies?

Or did I just get a defective "Lifetime" rebuild from Checker Auto again?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-26-2006 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Typos/Clarification
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: New P/S Pump -- Leaking!

So where exacty is it leaking. The only place I have seen them leak is around the shaft seal, pressure and return fittings and the cap. I have never seen them leak anywhere else. You might try posting on the drivetrain board to. Hope this helps and if not here is a bump.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
truckdude239

you can run atf in them but i wouldn't mix atf and power steering i've found atf eats the seals faster

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

yea those two studs coming out of the back have o-rings between the can and the pump...OR WAS SUPPOSED TO
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

...and those two O rings that Rage is telling you about come in two sizes...they usually come with the new pump and instructions tell you to replace them with the same ones that came out of your pump---ooops!
PS fluid or ATF---same-same...they mix just fine.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #6
ERASER5

I had a "new" PS pump leak on my 74 Olds once. After pulling the entire bracket out with the pump installed, I found the problem. The "new" pump body was just a bit tweaked and as the front mounting bolt was tightened, the pump was drawn out of the housing and causing the leak. The parts store agreed and replaced the pump. I think I put an extra washer between the mount and pump face to keep from pulling the next pump apart.

Hope this helps.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, I R&R'd the pump out today. A 2nd Opinion from the mech at my local brake shop said it was the O-ring seal around the reservoir. A defective unit. So I pulled it and traded it out for another ["lifetime"] one at Checker Auto.
[The brake shop wanted another $91 to swap the P/S pump for me, tacked onto my brake job. I did it myself -- but it's still a PITA]. Both the mech and the counter girl at Checker said there were no O-rings, but she suggested I use teflon tape on the studs. So I did and it didn't leak. So far...
Now the gripe is bubbles/foam in the system and a growling noise when I turn the wheels while on jackstands. I flushed about 3 pints of PSF but it still grinds. I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-27-2006 at 05:35 AM. Reason: clarification
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote