The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
topher10

Advice on acquiring a 67 Chevy

I am new to this board and coming to you for advice. I have driven the same car for 14 years since I graduated from high school (a chevy cavalier), and have managed to keep it running all this time. Well, its finally about to die or at least no longer be worth repairing (clutch). So, I am looking into getting a replacement used vehicle to commute to work (10-15 miles one way, in traffic).

My grandfather has a 1967 or 68 Chevy Stepside with a 6 cylinder in it, 3-speed on the column transmission. This truck belonged to his father (my great-grandfather). It has all original parts to my knowledge, and probably only has about 30,000 miles on it. It probably never left the county they live in.

I am told that it was in good running order with my grandfather driving it occasionally. But it developed a leak in the rear differential and my grandfather parked it so he could work on it. Well, that was about 8 years ago, and it has not moved since.

Because my current car is about to die, I am considering trying to get this truck running again, and using it as my primary mode of transportation. I think that my grandfather will help contribute to the cost of getting it working, because he would love to pass it on to me to keep in the family.

I guess my questions are:

1.How hard/expensive do you think it will be to get running after 8 years.
2.If I do get it running, would I be crazy to regularly commute to work in it, putting it through the pace of city traffic.
3.What sorta of gas mileage can I expect. I am hoping close to 15 mpg.
4.How reliable will it be if we do get it running, though I know that is difficult to answer. Will I be constantly tinkering with it is perhaps a better question. I would like to work on it, but I dont want to have to always be getting something fixed just to get to work.

My view is that I would rather put $2-3000 into this truck which my great-grandfather once drove, as opposed to putting $7000 into a used Chevy S10 or Ford Taurus or something similar. Its possible my grandfather wont even let me pay him for it. But I worry that even if I get it cheaply, that it would be a poor choice to use for a commute.

Any advice would be appreciated.
topher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Advice on acquiring a 67 Chevy

Well lets see if I can help.
A. To get her going do the following.
1. Remove old gas out of fuel tank.
2. Replace all ruber fuel lines and fuel filter.
3. Change engine oil.
4.Replace radiator and heater hoses and belts.
5. New battery and check or replace battery cables.( use own judgement)
6.Pull plugs and see how they look. You may just want to replace them anyway.
7. Check plug wires and distributor.
8. Fix leak in rear dif. Where is the leak at.
9. Try to start it. Carb may need overhauled after sitting so long.

B. How far is your commute? I drove one 50 miles a day when I was in high school. When you first reactivate it drive it locally for the first couple a months to get the feal of her and her temper. This will help isolate any other problems.

C. Not sure on milage with I6 and 3 on the tree.

D. You might be tinkering with it but the great thing is it is easy to work on and mechanical parts are cheap. Just keep a small tool box in it and a service manual and you should be good to go.

Yes I would rather spend the money on the old stuff then this newer stuff. In the long run I have found it is cheapper and better. Plus to me older vehicles are just cooler. Good luck. Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Chevyman680063

My 68 sat for a few years back during the mid-90s and in 98 my dad had it tuned up about a year or so before I got my license to get it running again. I drove it as a daily driver for a little over a year during my last year in high school and continued driving it as a daily driver until someone ran into it back in 02. It has the inline-6 with 3-speed trans. likes yours and I would have to every now and then fix something on it but that was because the truck and motor were not completely rebuilt, just made driveable and repainted and reupholstered. If you put the money into it now to get it running right then it will save you in the long run. I don't know what kinda price to tell you on getting it running again because it depends on who works on it. Whenever I get the money to fix my truck back up I plan on completely rebuilding the truck as well as the motor and trans.

Last edited by Chevyman680063; 09-28-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

1.How hard/expensive do you think it will be to get running after 8 years.

Depends greatly on whats wrong with it. New tires, brakes, plugs, wires, battery, etc... could put you in the $1000 range. I'd also change all fluids (tranmission gear oil and rearend oil, etc...)

2.If I do get it running, would I be crazy to regularly commute to work in it, putting it through the pace of city traffic.

Absolutely not, people still use these trucks here in Greenville as work trucks for lawn services and such. I drove my 67 with I-6 3spd for many years as a daily driver (from '97-'01) If you can get the I-6 running good they are great engines, but with the 3spd manual 65 mph for these trucks is pushing it.

3.What sorta of gas mileage can I expect. I am hoping close to 15 mpg.

Sorry, but the best I ever got with my truck when it had a I-6, 3spd was 10-11 mpg. You might get 12 or 13 if you're super easy on it, but expect 10-12.

4.How reliable will it be if we do get it running, though I know that is difficult to answer. Will I be constantly tinkering with it is perhaps a better question. I would like to work on it, but I dont want to have to always be getting something fixed just to get to work.

See answer to #2.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 09-28-2006 at 09:05 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
topher10

Thanks to all for the advice.

I learned last night that it doesnt have an air-conditioner. Since I live in Baton Rouge, LA, that put a small damper on my enthusiam. Is it possible to get A/C installed into an older truck like this?

My grandfather estimates his mechanic can get it running for ~$1000. I think that is an underestimate, but I think he will also assist in the cost of the repairs. I still think putting a few thousand in this truck would be better than sinking 5000-8000 in a used car that I dont really like. My wife isnt so confident however, and the lack of A/C would make being stuff in traffic in July pretty bad.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
RicksTrucks

As far as A/C you can put aftermarket underdash. Either the new style for about $1,000 or get an old used one. Then you will need the stuff under the hood.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
cdowns

the golden rule of owning an old classic car or truck is always have at least one other vehicle that is lisenced inspected and insured so you can drive one while fixing the other
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 09-28-2006 at 01:14 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
topher10

I called a local distributor of Vintage Air Products (http://www.vintageair.com). He indicated that it would cost roughly $2500 to install A/C into the truck.

Does anyone know of links to cheaper solutions?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from neighboring South Mississippi! I'm gonna go against the grain and tell you that from what I hear if you're looking for cheap, reliable transportation you may want to pass on this truck. I love my old truck, but for daily driving I found a '91 S-10, it has a/c and gets 23ish mpg. Good luck with it either way.
You should get the truck and get it going, just to keep it in the family, but that's a whole different scenario.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Are you planning to do the A/C install yourself? I just ordered a VintageAir kit for my 71 C10 for $985 plus $25 shippng. Got it from www.yogisinc.com. Doesn't look like it's to hard of a job installing it. Alot of folk here have installed it on their trucks. Do a serch for VintageAir and you'll find lotsa info! Good Luck and post some pics of the truck!

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

I second the opinion of having a backup vehicle. Sure you can drive it everyday but sooner or later you're gonna want power/disc brakes and power steering. You'll tire of fiddlein' with the points and want to go HEI. As far as the A/C goes, if you can follow printed instructions and have basic mechanical knowledge, you can install the Vintage Air yourself. I think I would try to find a rusty/wrecked later model that runs and drives and use it for a donor. This would be a prime time to upgrade to a V8 and auto setup. Should also have all the brackets for power steering as well as the box and all you will need for the disc brakes. Of course if you aren't mechanicly inclined and have no desire to learn.........you may need to pass on this one. If it was my Grandfathers truck and he was willing to give it to me, I would definitely take it.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

First off welcome to the forum. I have to agrree with Krue that you should try to buy a reasonable priced late model car/truck with a/c to keep yourself and the wife happy. This will give you your gas friendly and hopefully reliable daily transportation. Keeping the wife happy will make your qualtiy of life soooo much better.

I also suggest you do what ever you can to put Paw-Paws truck back on the road and keep it in the family. There is nothing more rewarding than having an elder from your family teach you how to work on an old truck and being able to pass that knowledge to the next generation in you family.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-28-2006 at 05:09 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
clay68c10

Unless you are willing to do 90% of the work on this baby yourself, it will eat up your money as a daily driver. Been there, and do it all myself now (for a living). If you want to drive it everyday, you need to be able to fix it yourself. If you're single, that's not a big deal. However, your spouse/family may not be cool with hubby/dad wrenching 'till late 30 if something breaks and you have to drive it the next day to get to work.
Definitely agree with N2TRUX; have a primary car and keep the truck in the family!!
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ

Last edited by clay68c10; 09-28-2006 at 05:12 PM.
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
topher10

Thanks again for all the feedback. BTW I have a wife, 3 kids and a full-time job.

I have been eyeing this truck for over a year now, and talking to him on and off. He has it in a barn behind his house. But I have been more serious as my current car is showing signs of impending death. I would really like to keep the truck both for the looks and because it was my great-grandfathers. However, I dont really have the time, money or expertise to do anything sophisticated. I have changed the starter, alternator, water pump, brakes, etc in my car, so I am willing to do relatively simple repairs. But I cant swap engines or redo the transmission. Perhaps I could install the A/C.

My main concern is having it as a primary vehicle, considering my limited time and expertise. The lack of A/C makes me hesistant also. If he is willing to give it to me or help with the initial repairs then I would love to take it, because it would be a neat car and cheaper than anything I could buy. But I am unsure whether it is really appropriate for me right now, and I am not sure I have the extra driveway space.

Its a hard decision.

Last edited by topher10; 09-28-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
clay68c10

If it's not going anywhere, let it wait in the barn till you have the time/money. You'll enjoy it a lot more, and it isn't sitting outside in the meantime.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

If it were in danger of being crushed it would be a different ball of wax.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #17
msgross

ditto... Lucky for me my inlaws gave me thier 97 Camry so I sold the 2004 Ram that I was driving (HEMI = 14 MPG!) and bought my 68. It's always nice to have a truck to run to Lowes or drive once in awhile to work so I say keep your grandfather interested in getting it back in driving condition and the possibility of him leaving it for you in the near future. Go buy a 2000-2004 ford taurus/honda/cavalier or something and keep the truck for your kids....I also have three kids and wife and it is very hard to find time to work on the truck (but it's fun!).... good luck

My Garage:
1968 SWB K-10
2005 Tahoe
1997 Camry
UH-60 Helicopter
FLY ARMY!

Last edited by msgross; 09-28-2006 at 08:15 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

In the interim you could go to the barn in your spare time and tinker with it. Maybe you can get it running and take Grandpa for a spin. That would be a hoot.

Of course if you ever decide you want to sell it....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

I've been in Texas without a/c and drive without one most of the time here. Not a big deal if you have nothing else to drive.

I have also been there with only 1 vehicle to drive. I second the opinion to get something reliable to drive. Nothing takes the motivation away faster than having to wrench on it all night in order to drive it the next day and the next night having to do it again.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #20
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

My truckd oesn't have A/C. So, I just take off my clothes. Just my shirt. Anyway, we're approaching winter time pretty soon as it is. Is it still stark hot down there in BR? I've meen to Ol Miss and man does that humidity wear me out!

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote