The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

250-6 performance......uh......yeah.....

It has been a long time since I sold my 69 with a 250 and a 4 speed, since then, I have had small blocks. I know small blocks arent real powerful beasts, but I bought this 71 the other day, has a straight 6 witha hole in a piston, and found another engine with good pistons. Slopped it together, and I cant believe how gutless it is. The torque is there, but man, no horsepower at all. I was wondering if anyone even bothers running one of these engines anymore, and if so, what little mods you may have done for a little cheap performance? thanks-- Andy, in Alaska in the slow a$$, wont get out of own way, orange, rust contraption(with a perfect grill and windshield)
--74 C-10 Shortbed
--86 Toyota Tercel (His Driver)
--05 Chevy Trailblazer (Her Driver)
The Blue Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
bigvinnie

a healthy 6 has reasonable power, but it sounds like yours might be kinda tired..... if you're looking for power, your money would be better spent swapping in a good used smallblock....

I guess I'd put up with the current powerplant til a good deal on a smallblock came along...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Talking

Yep, very proud of my I6's! Added HEI and Weber 32/36 to my truck...

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
vfrdude

' I know small blocks arent real powerful beasts' -

Small blocks get anywhere from 270-400 HP depending on the set up.. How much power so you need????

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: 250-6 performance......uh......yeah.....

Quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Pig
Slopped it together, and I cant believe how gutless it is.
My 250 is bone stock, with HEI and I can drive down the road at 70 quite comfortably. I believe it had a top and bottom job on it about 10 years ago by the original owner/Chevy mechanic. I've since put a cheapo rebuilt Rochester 1bbl on it, and I change the oil pretty regularly. No problems here... though you won't see me in any tractor pulls on ESPN with it.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
smitty62

It's the old answer--"Speed costs money--how fast do you want to go?
An I-6 can be built to outperform a SBC if you're willing to spend BIG bucks!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
jay-dawg
chevelito

Re: Re: 250-6 performance......uh......yeah.....

Quote:
Originally posted by XXL

My 250 is bone stock, with HEI and I can drive down the road at 70 quite comfortably. I believe it had a top and bottom job on it about 10 years ago by the original owner/Chevy mechanic. I've since put a cheapo rebuilt Rochester 1bbl on it, and I change the oil pretty regularly. No problems here... though you won't see me in any tractor pulls on ESPN with it.

Kenneth
Hi Kenneth,
are you going to keep the I6 or will you upgrade?

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:48 PM   #8
timamin

www.cliffordperformance.com for inline 6 performance parts. you could always throw some $$ out and get a turbo setup on it like me :p I dunno about everyone else but I like my I6, it has a totally different exaust sound then anything else I have heard and makes big V8 owners you just beat cry when they open your hood and see all that free space in there to fit a person in there. I finally got my Twin turbos on but haven't had a chance to push for a full 20 PSI =/. anyways, if the engine seems to run decent I would get some clifford parts and run it like that. you won't regret the gas Milage hehe.
Powder coated bumpers
Progressive Wheels
Future mods
single windows.
alum. fuel cell under bed, sidemarker fuel cap mod.
All white and yellow interior.
leather bucket seats.
timamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #9
jay-dawg
chevelito

timamin.

could you list the parts that you are using for your setup? I downloaded the catalogue but never saw anything about a turbo.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:25 AM   #10
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

Check out the stovebolt.com page
http://66.221.101.248/bboard/cgi-bin...?ubb=forum&f=2

They deal mostly in chevy 6's
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 AM   #11
Alvin
Never Done?

timamin - if you don't mind me asking, how exactly are you running twin turbos off of one exhaust manifold? and I imagine there would be some terrible turbo lag trying to spin two turbos off of the exhaust of an I-6. Not trying to start anything, just would like to know how you're doing it.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 AM   #12
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I have one in my latest truck. You should think of twin 250's, 500 cubes of screaming II6-6's. Come and get it. It will be outside of the barn........or should I say on the parts board when I get ready to pull it out.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:16 AM   #13
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

well, its great to hear your guys input, I like hearing about other methods of gaining speed. And yes, when I say I slopped it together, I mean it. I stone honed the cylinders, ball honed them, stuck it with 6 pistons out of some other engine, threw in a rear main, new oil pan gasket, new head gasket, and new vavle cover gasket. In fact, I think I kept rebuild costs under a hundred bucks. Vfrdude, I did not want to start anything with the big block guys by saying that small blocks were awesome ( I am partial to small blocks myself, bill mitchel builds em over 600 hundred horsepower) but I was talking just a plain jane 305 or 350 that you couldnt pull a house down with, but would pass a car with ease when needed. I got a pretty bad oil leak though, I didnt true up the flanges on the oil pan and the valve cover, I may be paying for it already. Maybe the gaskets arent sealing very well. Anyone run rubber valve cover gaskets before?
--74 C-10 Shortbed
Old 08-14-2002, 03:21 AM   #14
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

Hey Alvin, I am not a turbo expert, but he may be reffering to twin (step) turbos, where you have a small turbine running off of low exhaust pressure, spooling at low RPM, reducing turbo lag, and then that small turbo feeds the big main turbine, and once the big turbine spools, the small one continues but its boost is obsolete. That may be what he means, that is the only way I can think of.
--74 C-10 Shortbed
Old 08-14-2002, 01:57 PM   #15
timamin

it is a true twin turbo setup. to answer your question I have a custom set of headers. the 292 is a 4.8 liter engine so I have 2 T-3 Turbos for 2.2 liter engines one on each header. they both are on seperate exaust systems nothing meets on that end. as far as the compressed air, it comes in with 2 intakes and then Y's into the Ford Turbo desial intercooler and then into the carb. the turbo setup is custom you won't find a kit out there. Or atleast I couldn't find one. I can give you a list of parts I used and what I moded if you like just email me at dunfordtodd@hotmail.com. just remember there will be alot of custom work needed to be done but once it is done it is great. Also you will not be running under super unleaded if you plan on running high boost, but when everything is all done you have a I6 that pushs 400 HP and doesn't suck gas all the time. Turbo is like a neverending NOS setup HEHE. BTW if you have the orginal maifold for exaust then just use it and all you will need is 1 T-3 for up to 12 PSI I belive or a T-4 for 20. my orginal mani cracked so twin turbo came out working better for me.
Powder coated bumpers
Progressive Wheels
Future mods
single windows.
leather bucket seats.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:10 PM   #16
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Re: Re: 250-6 performance......uh......yeah.....

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg

Hi Kenneth,
are you going to keep the I6 or will you upgrade?

jay
Well... it'll be an I6 for a while. I want to get all my other projects on the truck out of the way before moving to the powerplant. One thing that I have been seriously considering is running a Mitsubishi 2.0 litre on a Powerglide. Buschur Racing has been campaigning a car on the import circuit with this setup for several years and they've shaken out lots of the issues relating to turning a front-wheel drive motor sideways to power rear wheels. I think it would be quite a unique setup, plus I've got a lot of experience with the Mitsu 2.0. My last car (see it here ) was pretty mild on the grand scheme of things and was at about 365 horsepower... and the Eclipse is a pig at nearly 3800#, which is close to what these trucks weigh. And, if I want to get real ballsy, you can squeak out an easy 450-500 horsepower out of the 2.0 and it is verrrrry reliable. Like I said... for now, it's I6 and a 1 bbl for me

Quote:
Originally posted by timamin
...and all you will need is 1 T-3 for up to 12 PSI I belive or a T-4 for 20.
jay
I believe the Mitsubishi 14G is a better choice than the Garrett T3 for spoolup in this kind of config. Also, it flows quite a bit. Have you looked into the 14G's?

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:15 PM   #17
timamin

I only recommended the garret T-3 because I got mine for 100 dollars each from a junkyard hehe or a friend got them for me ;-). but from what I have heard it is easy to find a chrysler 2.2 one and pretty cheap. use what you feel would be best for your truck, just remember to not worry to much about what turbo is for what size engine but for how much boost or HP you are wanting to push. a single T-3 on a 4.8 liter I 6 might only give you 12 PSI but the spool time will be incretable hehe.
Powder coated bumpers
Progressive Wheels
Future mods
single windows.
leather bucket seats.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:07 AM   #18
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Thumbs up I had one

Man that 250 of mine was tuff! Man I missed 2nd so many times rapping it to the nuts, and never blew up, smoked or put a drop of oil in it! Won burn out contest with it and everything! Tuff
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote