The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
abadsvt

I would like your opinion

I called a few different wheel suppliers today trying to order a set of wheels. They told me that the wheel i want is no longer offered in grey and if i want the wheel i need to order the chrome one. So after a few hours of pondering about it i called them back and said okay. I could always powder coating them later. Then he gave me some bad news. I wanted 20x8.5 and 20x10. He told me they only make the wheel with my bolt pattern in a 20x8.5. So here is my dilema. I really like the look of these wheels but if i go with them i will have to go with 8.5" all around. Have anyone seen this setup compared to a 10" wide tire in the back? Here is a pic of the wheel that i wanted.

Another option is that i was thinking about upgrading to a set of big brakes. What about if i ordered a set of brakes with a different bolt pattern? Also do you think it is possible to order a blank wheel and have someone drill my bolt pattern? Is that bad? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Josh
Attached Images

abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: I would like your opinion

What bolt pattern do they make the size you want in? I have had several 5x5 rotors machined and re-drilled to 5x4.75 due to the larger variety of wheel choices.

I personaly think it will look better with a 10 in the back and an 8 or 8.5 up front.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
junkyardjohn

THAT MUST NOT BE YOUR TRUCK IN YOUR AVATAR. YOU DON'T NEED A 10" WIDE RIM TO RUN 10" WIDE TIRES. 8 1/2" WIDE RIMS ARE PLENTY WIDE ENOUGH. I RAN 315-16 TRUCK T/As ON A SET OF 8" WIDE CRAGERS, & THEY HAD A 12" FOOTPRINT. THEY LOOKED & PERFORMED GREAT. OF COARSE THEY WERE REGULAR TIRES & NOT 20" RIMS WITH 2" SIDEWALL "O" RING TYPE TIRES. IF THATS WHAT YOUR AFTER... I'M LOST ON THOSE.
{QUOTE}Another option is that i was thinking about upgrading to a set of big brakes. What about if i ordered a set of brakes with a different bolt pattern? Also do you think it is possible to order a blank wheel and have someone drill my bolt pattern? Is that bad? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Josh{QUOTE}
I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION EXCEPT... NO YOU CAN'T BUY WHEELS WITHOUT ANY LUG HOLES. YOU DON'T SAY WHAT YEAR YOUR TRUCK IS BUT IF IT IS A PRE 71 WITH DRUMS ALL THE WAY AROUND, YOU CAN SWAP IN THE COMPLETE FRONT CROSS MEMBER OUT OF A TRUCK UP TILL THE MID. 80s. (MAYBE LATER BUT I'VE ONLY DONE IT WITH TRUCKS UP TILL 85) YOU CAN ALSO SWAP OUT THE REAR DRUMS FROM A LATER MODEL TRUCK. THEY ARE 2 1/2" INSTEAD OF 2" WIDE. YOU'LL NEED TO SWAP EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE BACKING PLATE. ONE OPTION THAT I LIKE IS PULLING A FORD 9" REAR-END OUT OF A 75 LINCOLN MKIV. THEY CAME WITH DISCs IN THE REAR & HAVE A 5 ON 5 BOLT PATTERN JUST LIKE OUT TRUCKS. NO YOU DON'T NEED TO RE DRILL YOUR HUBS OR ROTORS TO A CAR BOLT PATTERN JUST TO GET DECENT LOOKING RIMS. JUST MY 3 CENTS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Gimix

I was thinking of using the same wheels.
Gimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Other companies make a similar wheel. Sure you already new that.

http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheel...ion&img=3&tn=1

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/listp...asp?cat=101111

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
cdowns

5 spoke get the real thing torque thrusts
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
68 short step

if i was you id find another supplier!!!!! MHT does to still make them in grey!!! you can get the nitrous wheels in anybolt pattern and back spaceing..... whoever your talking to doesnt know... BTW thats the same wheel im going with, the supplier i talked to has them in stock (set of 20's) and its the last set he has (in stock) so im not tellin who it is...
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

They are so close to Torque Thrusts,which are mimmicked by quiye a few other companies like the company that you`re looking at,that I`d consider looking at those before doing custom work on the truck.My opinion?Can I really???I think those superficial rivets/divets in the wheel are a poor attenpt to try to vary the wheel from the already popular design.They are dirt & wax collectors and will only serve to make maintainence more difficult.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
68 short step

in my book chip fooses wheels are way better then american racing.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Some like Gimix,others like classix.It`s all good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
abadsvt

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love these wheels and i am glad that there a few other people that also like the wheel. That is a good idea Porterbuilt to redrill the rotors. I will call them today and see if they can make it work with the bolt pattern. I like the torque thrust but everyone has them and even though the look alot alike i would be a little different. Hey short step. Thats mean! Bragging about how your supplier has them and i cant get them . Can i buy them off you? I really want a set.

Junkyardjohn- I wish that truck was mine in my avatar. I am building a 1970 c10 and that truck is my insperation
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote