The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
RR67gto

Need Some Help With 67 C10 Swaps Ideas

Greetings friends, it's been a while since I've had a chance to get here. I'm ready to make some changes on my 67 C10, and need some help deciding what should be simple questions. But, ones I don't know and have not been able to get answers to from local parts stores.

First of all, I noticed that the truck sits low in the left rear. Looked at springs, shocks all looks like everything else on the truck. Any ideas what may be causeing this?

Then, I installed a Power Steering box from a 69 C10 using the 69 mount for the pump. Well, it's such a tight fit, that there is very little room for adjusting the belt. And, really hard to get at. Si there a better bracket or way to mount it for more adjustments?

This also brings me to another Power steering question. The steering box I used came from the 69 also. And, it's so very slow that I wanted to know if anyone has used another faster ratio box that's on latyer applacations? Or, if I ordered a rebuilt one for say a later year truck, would it be faster lock to lock?

I have a junk yard in my area that has a few of the older C/K series trucks left so I can also get used parts but once I kow what years were faster steering, the cost of a new rebuilt is only about $129.00.

So then, a better bracket for the PS pump adjustment? And, faster ratio box for my 67 long bed. Small back window, and wood long bed.

Good day friends, < Mike in Oregon >
RR67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: Need Some Help With 67 C10 Swaps Ideas

Hi Mike and welcome aboard! It's always nice to see another Oregonian here! Btw, where are you in Oregon?

I can only help you with your PS gear question- I have a gear from a 1977 Big10 quad cab truck. I think it was a 1T or maybe a 3/4T truck. Anyhoo, it's a super fast ratio gearbox (approx 3 turns lock to lock). I've been driving my 91 S-10 for 2 years now and just started driving the 67 again. I'm getting used to how twitchy it is all over again. I can literally drive with my pinky.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 10-06-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
RR67gto

Thank you for the information which gives me a place to start looking. If nothing else, I can always have it rebuilt wiat a faster ratio.

You asked my location in Oreogn? Until about two months ago it was just a place in the county called Clackamas. However, we were incorperated into the city of Happy Valley. Address and zip remain the same, but the name changes. Funny thin is, taxes went up about 4 percent though and since where out on the edge of the city we still don't have a single side walk, or any shoulders on the road. Lots of traffic though. I've been in this home almost 25 years now. I'm located SE of the city of Portland by about nine miles. Thanks again friends.

Mike
RR67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Ahh yes, I'm very aware of that issue. A friend from work lives in Damascus and resents Metro because they incorporated it into the urban growth boundary.

There are plenty of us in the metro area so stay in touch- perhaps we'll see you at a cruise.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
jimmydean

Welcome fellow Oregonian!

As for the way the truck sits, my guess would be worn out springs. My truck sat ok unloaded, but as soon as I got some weightin the back, the driver side would sit lower because the spring had more give.

With the springs out, they are the same height, but one clearly had more give than the other. If you like the way your truck sits, just replace the springs and shocks. The ride will be nicer and it will sit where it should. But it might also sit as much as an inch higher with new springs too.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote