The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

air shocks ....

Gona try this post again ..Anyone out there put air shocks on there rear of there truck ..Im looking for the right ones ,was told along time ago to use like s10 type air shocks ..any help...thnx
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
eagle23

Re: air shocks ....

If you mean the inflatable/adjustable type for heavy loads, both Gabriel and Monroe carry them. I have the Gabriels (called Hijackers back then) on my '77 'cause that's what came on it. I can't say either brand is better than the other.

Assuming it's load-type shocks you want, you'll likely need something strong on the front, since the air shocks are large-piston types that dampen things heavily. The fronts can end up feeling like they're bobbing up and down. KYBs were worthless, so I went with Edelbrock IAS's, though Bilstein would probably have done as well. Very pleased with the Edelbrocks; not a harsh ride but well damped.

Of course all this assumes I'm answering the question you meant. If not, nevermind...
eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Eagle 23 thanks ..ya i was needing it to raise it up alittle ,itll never have any load whatsoever on it other then fuel tank in back...need a shorter throw i was told because it is lowered...i guess thats why they said s10 air shock..ya i think edelbrock or monroe..
Old 10-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

I think s-10 bolt up different don't they? I tried to give my uncle some old gabriel shocks of my 76 fullsize for him to use on his 80 some s-10 and they wouldn't bolt up.

I used the highjackers too, good shocks. Not a bad ride unloaded or loaded, alot better then my 4x4 with aftermarket shocks.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
75silverstep
KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
I think s-10 bolt up different don't they? I tried to give my uncle some old gabriel shocks of my 76 fullsize for him to use on his 80 some s-10 and they wouldn't bolt up.

I used the highjackers too, good shocks. Not a bad ride unloaded or loaded, alot better then my 4x4 with aftermarket shocks.
Thanks ill have to try some out ..trial and error .here i come ....haha
Old 10-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I had a early 70s Chevy that had a pair of Monroe air shocks out back. It helped when I had the car loaded with weight... kinda like helper springs. I stayed within the fill pressure limits and never had any problems with them. I think Monroe has Air-Maxs now. Check out the Monroe application site, http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup...iscappinfo.asp. They have a link (http://www.monroe.com/pdf/ShockAbsor...sionCharts.pdf) that has a PDF chart with the dimensions for their Air-Max offerings. Maybe it'll help you find your mounting application and 'lowered' lengths.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote