The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
bigpig72CST

Problems---HEI, and top question--HELP!

I upgraded my 72 Blazer to HEI and am now having a problem with the vehicle as soon as I try to push on the pedal. It falls flat, and dies out. I also did a complete tune up and had the quadrajunk rebuilt. Has anyone else out there had this problem, or know how I could look to fix it? I have been considering just buying a new carb to see if it would fix the problem, or if there is a fuseable link or anything that I could check first.

Also, my Blazer currently has a double wall top, and it is going bad around the hinges. I have found a single wall top for what I think is a decent price, but I was wondering if it would bolt up? Or, if there is an easy fix for the top I have? If the double wall is my only option, does anyone have one for sale?
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
71jimmy

Re: Problems---HEI, and top question--HELP!

Oh, I bet that's your dizzy, not your carb!

The mounting holes bt. the two tops are not in the same location. You would need to drill new holes into your bedside, or into the single wall top. Fiberglass repair is simple and straight forward, you can get all the supplies at your local auto part store ussually.

Careful wanting to buy or sell without being a paying customer, someone IS watching. Go over to the classified section, sometimes you can find tops for sale there.

Goold Luck and welcome to the site.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

Did you upgrade the hot wire to the hei? 10 guage is recommended I think.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
70rs/ss

make sure you didn't use the factory resistor wire that went to the coil in your factory harness to feed the hei, cause it only allows 6-8 volts and an hei needs a full12-13 volts to run properly. Run a new bigger guage wire with switched power to the hei and your stumble will probably go away.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
RustyParts

If you used an old HEI with some miles on it, you may need to replace the pickup coil in the bottom of the distributor. Everytime the vehicle accelerates the pickup coil turns because of the vacuum advance and the two wires connected to the pickup coil bend. After repeated use the wires will actually break several strands and under acceleleration they will loose connection momentarily causing the vehicle to stumble. Whew!!!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
bigpig72CST

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. I never even considered changing out the coil wire. I'll try that and see if it helps. I may end up buying a new carb anyway. I have a new Edelbrock 650 on my 79 4x4, and I love it compared to the quadraj. Still, it will be nice to get the Blazer moving at more than an idle.

So you think that I could potentially patch around the hinge for the rear liftgate on a double wall? I have found a good single wall top from a guy around here pretty cheap, and I might get it anyway.

Sorry about asking if anyone had anything for sale, I didn't realize, so thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

As far as the ignition goes, there is a very convinient place to run a new wire. I think there is even a FAQ topic over it. Basically there is an unused terminal on the fuse box that comes straight from the ignition key (it is labeled Ignition). However, it is unfused. Just solder up a 10 ga wire with an inline fuse holder and female flag connectors on both ends, one to the HEI and the other to the fuse box. Bam, your done.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 10-11-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

That's the way I did mine.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy View Post
The mounting holes bt. the two tops are not in the same location.
But ...................................... He has a 72, and some come pre-drilled
for both types of tops, does your bed rails have lots of mounting holes?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
But ...................................... He has a 72, and some come pre-drilled
for both types of tops, does your bed rails have lots of mounting holes?
Hey, your right. I have big round holes and slots with moveable drilled and tapped holes. Never even gave that a thought!! Thanks for the info. guys, you're the best, now I can buy a single wall... does it ever end?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
florida4x4

I converted mine with a reman from advance auto. replaced it twice. engine never ran perfectly. last time I went to replace it I asked if I could "trade up" to an accell dizzy. they said sure and I paid an extra $10 and $50 for the super coil (which is not necessary). I wish I had done it the first time around. It came with springs to adjust the mechanical advance and an adjustable vacuum advance. Can't beat the way it runs now. Well maybe with a few hunnered on a MSD... the accell fixed a lot of drivability problems with the OEM HEI. ...my .02...
florida4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
bigpig72CST

I'll have to take a look and see if I have holes for either. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have known to even look. I'll probably get the single wall top from that guy, I have heard that they are better than the double wall anyway, right?

Sorry to keep asking the same question, but has anyone ever patched the area around the hinges on a double wall??? How easy is it?