The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
flynj1

Topper on SWB 66 stepside ?

Can it be done and look good on a stepside? Anyone have any ideas to build one. I have band eqipment and allso large RC airplains I need to hall around and a cover just is not tall enough. I thought about just building a trailer but I dont have room to park it. Are there any pics of stepsides with toppers. Thanks
flynj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Re: Topper on SWB 66 stepside ?

I don't have any pics, but I do have a camper that came on my 64 stepside. I think it's the only one I've ever seen like it. I've seen fleetside campers modified to fit on stepsides, but this is a full width camper made specifically for a stepside. The camper is the same width as the cab, but the back door is the same width as the tailgate. Of course, it can't be used with the side mounted spare, but my 64 had the sport fender so it didn't matter anyway. I'm not much of a camper person, but this one didn't look too bad. The outer shell is aluminum, but the inner frame is wood. I was told the original owner put the camper on the truck when it was new, which I can beleive because the original bedwood is still perfect other than a coat of red paint. The camper is still in great shape for being over 40 years old. Too bad you're so far away, you would be welcome to this one if you could use it.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynj1 View Post
Can it be done and look good on a stepside? Anyone have any ideas to build one. I have band eqipment and allso large RC airplains I need to hall around and a cover just is not tall enough. I thought about just building a trailer but I dont have room to park it. Are there any pics of stepsides with toppers. Thanks
I saw a picture in a mag one time on a 62 or 3 lwb step. The owner used 1 inch or so strips of wood and made it rounded on top with a 6 or 8 inch radius. It looked like an old 40's speed boat. It looked great for a wood top.The guy was a cabinet maker. He used light and dark wood.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Chevy230

Yes it can be done; have a 65 step side that I had a cap put on. Did this back in late 70's and drove it until early 90's. Cap was as wide as the cab; extended over the rear fenders. Made by local shop--out of business now. Will try and dig up some old pics and see if I can get the attached. Still have 65; doing frame up restore; cap long gone.
Chevy230 is offline   Reply With Quote